FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:02 pm
davistev

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by go_around
Does this effectively mean that a schedule change can be used as a way of refunding flights which Qantas currently won’t refund due to coronavirus issues? We have an upcoming return to Australia that can’t be used, but which isn’t currently being offered a refund. There was, however, an email came through recently of a minor schedule change.
There has not been any information given as to what is an acceptable schedule change would look like to get a refund.

In my case, I just do not want to go on three trips to Singapaore and the USA next month. My flights have been rerouted but mostly I would get to my destination within a few hours of my orignal flights. Therefore - go pound sand - no refunds for me.

The policy that allows changes for all bookings after March 10th is purely for marketing to raise revenue. Customers who booked prior have no such rights - why?

However, I would love to be able to postpone my trips to October or November. As it stands now, Qantas has no provision for existing bookings made before March 10 to be postponed for 6 months due to the coronavirus. Qantas will reduce frequencies and consolidate flights but will not give passengers the option of travelling later when everything has calmed down a bit unless you pay the fare change and fare difference fees. The Australian government today issued a directive to Australians to avoid all non-urgent international travel.

If Qantas does not change their policy of "ticket rules apply", then I am sure I am not the only one who will lose their money to this airline. I am asking that Qantas change their policy to recognise that this is an extraordinary event (WHO Pandemic declaration and Australian Government recommendation to halt all non-urgent overseas travel) and allow people to postpone their flights till later in the year without penalty like other airlines have done.

Last edited by davistev; Mar 13, 2020 at 2:13 pm