Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by minz56
Have you called them to ask? It's difficult to get through but not impossible.
An email from Olivia Worth is the only information regarding handling of reward bookings I've seen.
The new announcement does not mention reward bookings - it's not difficult, as is calling.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by LukeO9
An email from Olivia Worth is the only information regarding handling of reward bookings I've seen.
The new announcement does not mention reward bookings - it's not difficult, as is calling.
I posted the following on another thread on 23 March regarding the cancellation of award bookings:

"For those looking to cancel a Classic Reward Booking here are the T&C's that relate to this when you click on Cancel then Refund in Manage my Booking:
  • Cancellation of Classic Flight Reward Bookings will incur a fee of 6,000 points per passenger. The 6,000 points fee will not be applied to Classic Flight Reward bookings cancelled up until 31 March 2020, and where your original travel date was prior to and including 31 May 2020
  • Classic Flight Reward booking points, taxes, levies and surcharges will be refunded within 10 business days."
However I no longer have any bookings so I can't tell you if the T&C's are still the same.

Still think calling is your best option. Worked for me (though not for award bookings).
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:13 pm

I can't tell you if the T&C's are still the same..
which is the point.

Still think calling is your best option.
but it shouldn't be. Its not difficult.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I posted the following on another thread on 23 March regarding the cancellation of award bookings:

"For those looking to cancel a Classic Reward Booking here are the T&C's that relate to this when you click on Cancel then Refund in Manage my Booking:
  • Cancellation of Classic Flight Reward Bookings will incur a fee of 6,000 points per passenger. The 6,000 points fee will not be applied to Classic Flight Reward bookings cancelled up until 31 March 2020, and where your original travel date was prior to and including 31 May 2020
  • Classic Flight Reward booking points, taxes, levies and surcharges will be refunded within 10 business days."
However I no longer have any bookings so I can't tell you if the T&C's are still the same.

Still think calling is your best option. Worked for me (though not for award bookings).
Even though Qantas have advertised a policy for revenue bookings up until June 30th, if you go to cancel a Classic Reward booking you get that same 6000 point fee waiver notice for bookings with travel up until May 31st.

I have two early June Classic rewards that I am chomping at the bit to cancel but I would prefer to avoid the fees.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:59 pm

which is the point.

but it shouldn't be. Its not difficult.
Well, go into MMB and see what T&C's you get when you click on Refund. With a cash booking you first get a screen asking you to confirm the stated T&Cs before you hit the cancel button. I assume it is the same for award bookings.

If you do the above you should see the T&Cs applicable which will save you calling. If you are still not clear then you will have to call. Yes, perhaps they could do a better job at advising the T&Cs. At the end of the day if you want to be sure about getting a cancellation fee waiver then calling is the best.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
I would prefer to avoid the fees.
wait a few weeks - I expect that window to progress to later month(s) - currently narrow to reduce processing demand?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:25 pm

Well, go into MMB and see what T&C's you get when you click on Refund. With a cash booking you first get a screen asking you to confirm the stated T&Cs before you hit the cancel button. I assume it is the same for award bookings.

If you do the above you should see the T&Cs applicable which will save you calling. If you are still not clear then you will have to call. Yes, perhaps they could do a better job at advising the T&Cs. At the end of the day if you want to be sure about getting a cancellation fee waiver then calling is the best.
I would have thought you'd realise by now that the post stated facts concerning competence and was not associated with a personal need to know.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:26 pm

I would have thought you'd realise by now that the post stated facts concerning competence and was not associated with a personal need to know.
Ah the joys of FT! Amen.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Hi all sorry if this has been answered, the QF website is clearly angling for people to request a flight credit, but it doesn't seem to explicitly state the policy for a cancelled flight. This may be intentional hoping people take the credit rather than request a refund. Does anyone know that the policy is for flights cancelled (in this case paid J to USA). In my case my flight is June 4 so its not (yet) cancelled but I assume it will be, just not sure if this will happen before April 30th when the credit deadline is. If the flight is cancelled I would prefer to get a refund for sure.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Until it is cancelled, then your choices are to keep the ticket and wait to see if it is cancelled or accept the voucher

If it is cancelled, then you will be entitled to a refund

If however it operates and you just choose not to fly on it, you may neither get a refund nor vouchers , depending on policy after 30 April

What is the cancellation penalty on the ticket - if it is paid J, I would be surprised if there was any penalty to cancel anyway
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had booked a BNE-MEL flight for April 16 (QF 633). I no longer see it for sale on that day, and am hoping that it was cancelled. But when I look up my booking both via QF's "Manage booking" and on Expedia, where I bought the ticket, my specific file does not show as cancelled.

I would prefer a refund to a flight credit. Would having the flight cancelled increase my chances of obtaining a refund, rather than a flight credit? And since I booked through Expedia, is there anything I can say (assuming I can get through on the phone) to persuade them to put a refund through? Online, my only option is to cancel and get a flight credit.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
I had booked a BNE-MEL flight for April 16 (QF 633). I no longer see it for sale on that day, and am hoping that it was cancelled. But when I look up my booking both via QF's "Manage booking" and on Expedia, where I bought the ticket, my specific file does not show as cancelled.

I would prefer a refund to a flight credit. Would having the flight cancelled increase my chances of obtaining a refund, rather than a flight credit? And since I booked through Expedia, is there anything I can say (assuming I can get through on the phone) to persuade them to put a refund through? Online, my only option is to cancel and get a flight credit.
April 16 is close to infinity based on the current situation. Look again ~April 13.
With Expedia in the middle makes it harder. Does your credit card show Expedia or Qantas as the vendor?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:46 pm

Unless the flight is cancelled, you will not get a cash refund. At this time is still seems to be scheduled, but there is zero availability, so may be cancelled.

QF does still seem to have a flight operating 30 minutes later , which I expect that it will rebook on. Not sure if a 30 minute change due to cancellation is enough for an entitlement to a refund should QF633 become officially cancelled
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Until it is cancelled, then your choices are to keep the ticket and wait to see if it is cancelled or accept the voucher

If it is cancelled, then you will be entitled to a refund

If however it operates and you just choose not to fly on it, you may neither get a refund nor vouchers , depending on policy after 30 April

What is the cancellation penalty on the ticket - if it is paid J, I would be surprised if there was any penalty to cancel anyway
thanks for the advice, checked with my travel agent, the ticket was NZ$5400 and the cancellation is NZ$400. Given all the uncertainty and changing policies I will take the cash now while I can and pay the relatively modest fee.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
thanks for the advice, checked with my travel agent, the ticket was NZ$5400 and the cancellation is NZ$400. Given all the uncertainty and changing policies I will take the cash now while I can and pay the relatively modest fee.
I would suggest waiting until closer to the departure date - if the flight gets cancelled you will be able to get a 100% refund ; if it doesn't then you should be still able to get the refund minus penalty as long as you do it before flight is due to depart - if you miss that deadline, then you will be out whatever the no show fees are, so make sure to avoid that
minz56 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.