Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is all tha paypal or a credit card company does - it gets details of dispute - if it seems valid , the company passes it to the retailer and it is then up to retailer to justify the validity of the charge - no response is a win by default
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:21 pm

Thumbs down Qantas Updated Cancellation Policy today

Qantas has updated its cancellation policy today (1 May) for the worse. QF agent also confirmed that any frequent flyer bookings will incur the cancellation fees going forward - unless the flights get cancelled first. I guess it might be Qantas' way of spacing out the cancellation requests. I was due to travel in July / August and booked separate tickets. Was able to cancel the July ticket (before 30 April) without penalty and will now have to wait and hope they relax the cancellation policy for the August ticket- or wait for the flights to get cancelled.

Last edited by luvtotravel72; Apr 30, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 2:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by luvtotravel72
....Was able to cancel the July ticket (before 30 April) without penalty and will now have to wait and hope they relax the cancellation policy for the August ticket- or wait for the flights to get cancelled.
“Wait until they cancel” seems the mantra almost everywhere now.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Qantas has updated its cancellation policy today (1 May) for the worse. QF agent also confirmed that any frequent flyer bookings will incur the cancellation fees going forward - unless the flights get cancelled first. I guess it might be Qantas' way of spacing out the cancellation requests. I was due to travel in July / August and booked separate tickets. Was able to cancel the July ticket (before 30 April) without penalty and will now have to wait and hope they relax the cancellation policy for the August ticket- or wait for the flights to get cancelled.
Going where? Is a remote possibility QF may be flying to/from some destinations in August
If you cannot fly due to documentation/visa/government issues and the airline is flying, then full cancellation/refund/cancellation fees is the passengers problem, unless an airline waiver (as was done for flights to July).
Best of luck for an airline cancellation/major schedule change. Will be 1000's like you hoping for a full refund. And airlines hoping they do not need to refund.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by og
“Wait until they cancel” seems the mantra almost everywhere now.
This. I still have two June bookings within QLD which haven't been cancelled. I made the conscious decision not to get the voucher prior to 30 April.

One is a BNE ROK which I have a hunch might actually be operated due to the infrequent schedule. Then again it's a Dash 8 without cargo. Who knows.

The other is a BNE CNS on a 717. That just might get cancelled.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Qantas has updated its cancellation policy today (1 May) for the worse.
MH is representative of what seems the obvious policy: "All Malaysia Airlines customers with tickets booked on or before 30 June 2020 will be able to make unlimited changes to travel dates with change fees waived or have the flexibility to plan for a new destination (re-route from original destination) in which fare differences may apply."
If you want people to travel during uncertain times......
Old May 4, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Revised again today (05 May 2020)
  • Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel updates Last updated: 5 May 2020
    Bookings made directly with Qantas
    If your flight has been cancelled by us
    Please standby and wait to hear from us before changing your booking. We'll be contacting anyone whose flight has been impacted as soon as possible.
    Check flight status

If your flight hasn't been cancelled by us
    If you’re due to travel on a Qantas flight before 30 September 2020, and wish to change your plans, you can cancel your booking and retain the full value as a flight credit. Flight credits can be used for bookings and travel until 31 December 2021. Just cancel your booking and request your flight credit by 30 September 2020.

When you’re ready to rebook, you’ll need to cover any change fee and any fare increase in your new booking.

If you already have a Qantas flight credit issued on or after 1 January 2019, this will also be automatically extended to 31 December 2021.
    <snip>
  • Booking changes and other options Last updated: 5 May 2020
  • QANTAS GROUP MARKET UPDATE – INCREASING RESILIENCE FOR LONG-TERM RECOVERY Sydney | Published on 5th May 2020 at 8:48
    <snip>
    Extension of flight cancellations for June and July (schedules currently still at pre-coronavirus levels).
    <snip>
    It has also extended flight cancellations from end-May through to the end of July, which were still at pre-coronavirus levels – but some capacity can be added back in if domestic and Trans-Tasman restrictions ease in coming weeks.

<snip>
    ONGOING FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS AND EMPLOYEE STAND DOWNS

The Qantas Group is currently operating around 5 per cent of its pre-crisis domestic passenger network and around 1 per cent of its international network on an Available Seat Kilometre basis. On a flying hours basis – which includes charters for the resources sector at 75 per cent of pre-Coronavirus levels and passenger aircraft flying as freighters – the Group is operating 13 per cent of its domestic network and 6 per cent of international.

Under the circumstances, Qantas and Jetstar will now extend existing domestic and Trans-Tasman flight cancellations beyond end-May through to the end of June 2020. International flight cancellations will be extended through to end-July 2020.

The initial easing of government restrictions suggests some domestic travel may start to return before the end of July – though initial demand levels are hard to predict. The Group will continue to monitor the situation and can increase capacity with a minimum lead time of around one week.
    <snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 4, 2020 at 7:07 pm Reason: formatting
Old May 7, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Here is a good summary, that is being kept up to date from CHOICE. I imagine it relates to tickets sold under Australian law. I don't believe it is behind their firewall.
(Of course the situation with Virgin and Tiger airfares is now subject to the Administration process, though I do note that travel bank credits are not considered an unsecured creditor but this should be discussed in a different forum.)

Can you get a refund or a credit from your Australian airline?

Need to know

• The major Australian airlines are offering credit vouchers – but with conditions
  • Qantas and Virgin will give you a refund for cancelled flights, if you ask for one
Australian airlines have all but shut down passenger flights while the COVID-19 coronavirus plays out.

Rebookings and credit vouchers are being offered for cancelled flights or for people who just want to rebook. But can you get a cash refund if you want one?
Old May 7, 2020, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That Choice article only covers what the airlines are saying what they will do, not covering what passengers' rights are.

Even in a response to a comment where someone had requested a refund and not received it, it states "The best you can do here is to continue attempting to contact Qantas to confirm the refund" rather than point the person to disputing the charge with the card company ( assuming paid by credit card )

It also doesn't even mention the card dispute process as to getting a refund for company failing to provide service where a flight is cancelled

Someone responded on 7 April to say that the article was "Waste of time - no new or informative info here at all" and Choice had the gall to state "Many people have asked us whether they're entitled to a refund from their airline due to coronavirus, so this is a summary of the options" - it hasn't told people about their entitlements, just what the airlines will offer

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 7, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.