Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:56 pm

Refund help - I think Qantas canceled my flights?!

Hi,
First off if there is a better place to post this please let me know - I couldn't find a Qantas specific thread

I am Canadian and booked an inter - Australia ticket in January. MEL-KGC through ADL then KGC-SYD through ADL. I have the PDF of this.

Last night, I get an email from Qantas that my flights have changed. It said basically that my KGC-ADL flight was still on.

When I log in, none of the other flights show up - only KGC-ADL. Does this mean they canceled my flight?

I am also not familiar with Australian rules - can I get a refund? I know with EUR261 I would, and also I would typically in Canada also, but I am wondering what the rules are in Australia, I cannot find them.

I am sure I will have to call them but want to go in armed with the best information I can. I also bought cancellation insurance that covers 'quarantine'.

Any help appreciated, or to point me in the right direction
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:19 pm

Cross posted in CV forum as well -
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbuff
Hi,
First off if there is a better place to post this please let me know - I couldn't find a Qantas specific thread

I am Canadian and booked an inter - Australia ticket in January. MEL-KGC through ADL then KGC-SYD through ADL. I have the PDF of this.

Last night, I get an email from Qantas that my flights have changed. It said basically that my KGC-ADL flight was still on.

When I log in, none of the other flights show up - only KGC-ADL. Does this mean they canceled my flight?

I am also not familiar with Australian rules - can I get a refund? I know with EUR261 I would, and also I would typically in Canada also, but I am wondering what the rules are in Australia, I cannot find them.

I am sure I will have to call them but want to go in armed with the best information I can. I also bought cancellation insurance that covers 'quarantine'.

Any help appreciated, or to point me in the right direction
Jan 2021 is some away. No one knows what the travel or COVID-19 situation will be in ~9 months time.
Or did you book in Jan 2020 for flights on an specified date?

At this time QF has waivers for flights up to 31 July 2020. Flights up 31 May 2020 are suspended/cancelled. No official advise a yet if those dates will be extended.

QF web site--->https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...ronavirus.html
<snip>
My flight hasn't been cancelled
If you’re due to travel on a Qantas flight before 31 July 2020, and wish to change your plans, you can cancel your booking and retain the full value as a flight credit. Flight credits can be used for bookings and travel until 31 December 2021. You’ll need to change your plans by 30 April 2020.

If you already have a Qantas flight credit issued on or after 31 January 2020, this will also be automatically extended.

I'm flying after 31 July 2020
If your plans have changed or you no longer wish to travel, you can choose to change to a new date, or cancel your booking and use the value towards a future flight.

Our standard fare rules apply, so you may be changed a change fee. To check your fare conditions for change and cancellation information, enter your last name and booking reference at Manage Booking, then move down to the flight section.
<snip>
International flight changes
All Qantas and Jetstar scheduled international flights will be suspended until at least the end of May 2020, due to government restrictions. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation.

Australian domestic flight changes
As the national carrier, we’ll be looking to maintain essential domestic, regional and freight connections. However, we’ll be suspending over 50% of our domestic flights until the end of May 2020.
<snip>
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...d-refunds.html

Edit
The KGC thread by tbuff --> Can I get to KGC on QF using Avios?
Flights May 2020?
At this stage I assume a KGC flight in May is still going to operate
Look in the main QF COVID-19 thread for the procedure to get a full cash refund instead of a voucher/flight credit
Link--->Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 7, 2020 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moving this to the existing thread of booking, change fees, cancellations etc. [/mod hat]
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:31 pm

Thanks for moving this to the proper thread!

Called in and they offered full refund. Awaiting confirmation email and refund. Will keep thread updated.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by tbuff
inter - Australia
Unimportant, but FYI - it is intra-
Often mistaken due to the spelling of 'internal'.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Lodged a PayPal complaint today after three weeks of waiting after requesting a refund due to cancelled flights. I didn't even receive an email confirmation for the refund request. The booking ref has been dead ever since I requested the refund. We shall see - I'd really like that 9 grand back.

Maybe it's fate that my bookings by CC kept failing and I had to use PayPal as a workaround.
Have you heard from paypal yet greenman? I too paid for my Qanta flight via paypal and thinking of contacting them. My flight should have been April 11th and I requested the refund from Qantas on March 25th. So think I have given them plenty of time for the refund. I too have never received an email from Qantas since I requested the refund. Terrible customer service.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by gocat

Have you heard from paypal yet greenman? I too paid for my Qanta flight via paypal and thinking of contacting them. My flight should have been April 11th and I requested the refund from Qantas on March 25th. So think I have given them plenty of time for the refund. I too have never received an email from Qantas since I requested the refund. Terrible customer service.
Nada. Estimated resolution dates are 21st and 23rd of April. Qantas has not responded for close to two weeks. I guess I'll know mid next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
I'm in the same boat, although paid via CC. I too haven't heard anything, nor received a confirmation email of my refund. when looking up the booking it says there is an error and can't find it.
Annoyingly, my CC is due at the end of the month and the refunds from the two flights (lodged 25th March) one on 1st April and the other 2nd May would cover my outstanding balance. i suspect i will still have to pay my CC and then eventually end up with a large positive balance on my CC when the flights eventually get refunded.
Very frustrating and yes would have expected some correspondence from QF....
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Perhaps dispute the charge with the card company then - that will reduce your being out of pocket - if it a a revolving credit account, then will just need to make the minimum repayment on the amount and then wait for the credit
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Perhaps dispute the charge with the card company then - that will reduce your being out of pocket - if it a a revolving credit account, then will just need to make the minimum repayment on the amount and then wait for the credit
This. If I had paid directly with CC rather than paypal because Qantas keeps rejecting my HSBC issued Australian Qantas VISA every time, I would have done a dispute on the card a week after requesting the refund.

You’re effectively and unsecured creditor. On a positive note - it could be worse. You could be expecting a refund from VA.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I elected for a full refund on 25th March. Contacted their Twitter team this week to enquire on status, they said I had been issued with a credit voucher. If I would like a full refund instead (which I already selected online on 25th March) it will take another 8-10 weeks to process... Originally paid by CC.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by go_around
I elected for a full refund on 25th March. Contacted their Twitter team this week to enquire on status, they said I had been issued with a credit voucher. If I would like a full refund instead (which I already selected online on 25th March) it will take another 8-10 weeks to process... Originally paid by CC.
Dispute the charge with the credit card company and it will be complete within a month
go_around likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:32 am

Update, first PayPal dispute resolved in my favour after not a single response or contact from Qantas on the dispute. Full refund. Several more to go.

Attachments on the dispute:
Booking confirmation pdf
Emergency exit invoice email
----------

I was a tad worried after not receiving a refund request email and I hadn't taken a screenshot of the refund request. I did take a screenshot subsequently of the refund request for later claims.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:26 am

Second update: another refund received on a different booking. PayPal isn't even checking much, they just wait for the max time allowed for Qantas to respond to the dispute. Since Qantas doesn't bother to respond it's an automated refund.

Two down three more to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.