Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
The UK Government has issued a formal notice that advises against all but essential travel worldwide. I am a UK citizen, so am I not now able to insist on a full refund from Qantas as travelling with them would breach a government travel advisory?

Not sure when is the best time to call them to get through to an agent at this time, and what office to call?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by go_around
The UK Government has issued a formal notice that advises against all but essential travel worldwide. I am a UK citizen, so am I not now able to insist on a full refund from Qantas as travelling with them would breach a government travel advisory?

Not sure when is the best time to call them to get through to an agent at this time, and what office to call?
Has the flight been cancelled? if it has, you are entitled to a full refund - if not, then you are not entitled to a refund
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Has the flight been cancelled? if it has, you are entitled to a full refund - if not, then you are not entitled to a refund
If Oz citizens are told not to travel but Qantas will not refund airfares, then when the Gov. gives Qantas a (deserved) bailout, we are giving funds to Qantas twice without a service provided.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:40 pm

Call around 3-5pm your (UK) time. Their phones are 24hr
go_around likes this.

Last edited by LukeO9; Mar 17, 2020 at 6:14 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: NZ

When are you travelling? QF has a fairly clear policy for changes/cancellation for travel up to 31 May, which has been excellently summarised by a poster above.

Unless your flights are within the next few days I would wait to see if QF make further schedule changes (they're talking about cutting international capacity by 90%) in which case there is a fair chance that your flights will be cancelled. Then you will be in a much stronger position to request a cash/credit card refund.

Another small (but important) point: how did you book? If you used a travel agent (including OTA) then you will need to deal with the agent. QF won't talk to you unless you booked direct with them (eg on their website)
go_around likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
If Oz citizens are told not to travel but Qantas will not refund airfares, then when the Gov. gives Qantas a (deserved) bailout, we are giving funds to Qantas twice without a service provided.
If the flights are still operating ( which most will not ) then Qantas has managed to continue to provide the service - it is allowing deferment of travel without penalty where flights are operating

An advice not to travel is not the same as prohibiting travel - if travel is prohibited, I expect Qantas will throw towel in on the few remaining international routes rather than just drop 90% anyway
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:48 pm

If the flights are still operating ( which most will not ) then Qantas has managed to continue to provide the service - it is allowing deferment of travel without penalty where flights are operating

An advice not to travel is not the same as prohibiting travel - if travel is prohibited, I expect Qantas will throw towel in on the few remaining international routes rather than just drop 90% anyway
Your response does not address my point.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: NZ
Here are the T&C's for the voucher if you go down that route:

Voucher Conditions

• Valid for 12 months from the original booking creation date. (email I just received now says "up until 30 September 2020 or 12 months from the original date of ticket issue, whichever date is later")
  • For Qantas Gift Vouchers issued on/after 31 March 2018 are valid for 3 years from date of issue, irrespective of the expiry date shown on the voucher.
  • If not used within the 12 month validity period, the voucher value will be forfeited unless the original fare permits a refund.
  • Can only be used towards one way or return bookings from the country in which the original ticket was issued. Multi-city bookings are not permitted.
  • Are non-transferable. Name changes are permitted on Gift Vouchers only.
  • Vouchers can only be redeemed on Qantas operated flights at Qantas.com/yourbookingThis will open a new tab or window in your browser. or through Qantas Contact CentresThis will open a new tab or window in your browser..
  • Any change feesThis will open a new tab or window in your browser. that were applicable to the original booking apply when redeeming the voucher.
  • Credit vouchers can only be used towards a fare of equal or higher value. Qantas Gift Vouchers and Customer Care Vouchers can be used towards eligible fares, surcharges and taxes. A new voucher will be issued for any unused credit (of more than $2).
  • A booking feeThis will open a new tab or window in your browser. will apply for vouchers redeemed through Qantas Contact Centres.
  • If your original travel date is prior to and including 31st May 2020, any change fees will be waived when you redeem your travel voucher.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
Valid for 12 months from the original booking creation date.
I've always hated those statements. Whether the limit is on the voucher or the flight booked with the voucher.
I'm also bother by circumstances where outbound flight is before May 31 and return after on separate ticket.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:37 pm

Your response does not address my point.
Yes it does - You stated that the service was not provided - the service is offered, but passenger has chosen not to take it - that is still providing the service
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:52 pm

Yes it does - You stated that the service was not provided - the service is offered, but passenger has chosen not to take it - that is still providing the service
My point was not pax-specific.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:01 pm

My point was not pax-specific.
Sorry you stated "If Oz citizens are told not to travel but Qantas will not refund airfares," - what else would have airfares other than passengers?

Regardles, given the reduction that Qantas plans to implement, would be quite unlikely that the flight will operate

Got an odd email about getting vouchers - but the booking I have is not before 31 May - I am wondering what would happen if I did click on the "cancel/voucher" button

It reads that the voucher is valid until 30 September - I wouldn't read that the flight would also have to be taken within that period, just that the voucher will expire
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by minz56
When are you travelling? QF has a fairly clear policy for changes/cancellation for travel up to 31 May, which has been excellently summarised by a poster above.

Unless your flights are within the next few days I would wait to see if QF make further schedule changes (they're talking about cutting international capacity by 90%) in which case there is a fair chance that your flights will be cancelled. Then you will be in a much stronger position to request a cash/credit card refund.

Another small (but important) point: how did you book? If you used a travel agent (including OTA) then you will need to deal with the agent. QF won't talk to you unless you booked direct with them (eg on their website)
I booked on the Qantas website. Outward travel (HKG-SYD) is on 10 April and return (MEL-HKG) on 4 May. HKG-SYD reduced by 50% capacity and MEL-HKG reduced from 7 to 4 weekly flights. No cancellations on my booking yet.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:59 am

I have a flight from Mel - Sin on April 10th and Sin -Mel on April 25. If you don't redeem the voucher and Qantas cancel my flight would they be force to give me a refund?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: QF, EK
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I searched but cant find. Can someone provide the SMS details? I have a similar issue with a flight on the 20th need to cancel.
This is good to know. Since the AUS Government put us at Level 3 of 'Do Not Travel' I have cancelled 2 rewards booking tickets that were for travel in early April. I had planned to wait a week or so and then phone Qantas to request the 6000 points cancellation fee be waived. Usually classic reward booking are equivalent of a full-flex fare. I would much rather be on a plane somewhere that working from home in the current environment. It's good to hear that someone over the phone had the 6000 points fee waived.

I've always hated those statements. Whether the limit is on the voucher or the flight booked with the voucher.
I'm also bother by circumstances where outbound flight is before May 31 and return after on separate ticket.
Yep. It doesn't pay to plan ahead in these situations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.