Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I have tickets from NZ to SYD on Qantas, via MEL... now that NZ has a full stop travel ban (essentially by requiring everyone arriving to the country and ENTERING the country to self quarantine for 14 days) I wonder if I can get a full refund. I mean, my flight isn't for two weeks and we're not going anyway, but I really want a refund and not a credit.
We are in the similar boat but flying on April 11. Qantas doesn't offer anything for our date yet.
The current rules are horrible
As a result of travel restrictions announced by the New Zealand Government, if you’re holding a Qantas ticket for flights to or from New Zealand before 31 March 2020 and no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your flight and retain the value of the ticket in credit.

To be used for travel within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued. We will waive the change fee once you’re ready to rebook.
We bought out J class non-refundable cash tickets last October. There is no way we can go on vacation before October 2020 (vacations have to be booked 9-12 months in advance for us). 3 x J class tickets going to the garbage is very difficult to swallow.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ellie_CA
We are in the similar boat but flying on April 11. Qantas doesn't offer anything for our date yet.
The current rules are horrible
We bought out J class non-refundable cash tickets last October. There is no way we can go on vacation before October 2020 (vacations have to be booked 9-12 months in advance for us). 3 x J class tickets going to the garbage is very difficult to swallow.
Have you contacted your travel insurance company to see whether it will cover this situation?

With a drop off in traffic that would seem likely, it is also possible that the flight will be cancelled and then would be entitled to a refund
Ellie_CA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Have you contacted your travel insurance company to see whether it will cover this situation?
We read our VISA trip cancellation policy. It will only cover up to $2500 per person. So, we should be able to recover $7500 max (less than 50%). We booked tickets through an online agency (not sure if I can say the name) and they don't want us to call them until up to 10 days before departure.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
We read our VISA trip cancellation policy. It will only cover up to $2500 per person. So, we should be able to recover $7500 max (less than 50%). We booked tickets through an online agency (not sure if I can say the name) and they don't want us to call them until up to 10 days before departure.

QF now have a credit (not ideal I guess but better than nothing) refund for TT travel. Plug the booking reference and name in. Id try that if I were you
Ellie_CA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:29 pm

$2500 should easily cover the costs of a non refundable NZ-AU r/t ticket
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jrfsp320
Agreed i think credit isnt fair on the passenger that paid cash.
How is it not fair? if the flight doesn't operate, the passenger will be entitled to a refund ; giving credit seems a decent response - beyond that, travel insurance would , I suspect, likely cover it
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:41 pm

$2500 should easily cover the costs of a non refundable NZ-AU r/t ticket
We are flying to YYZ-LAX-BNE-AKL and back SYD-DFW-YYZ. I wish it was covering the costs of J ticket.
our cruise will be most likely cancelled anyway since the NZ closed to cruise ships. So, no trip necessary at all at this time.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hector99
QF now have a credit (not ideal I guess but better than nothing) refund for TT travel. Plug the booking reference and name in. Id try that if I were you
our booking doesn’t fall into the rebooking permitted days but I will try it tomorrow.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze
According to Qantas:

• For Qantas customers, travel credit can be redeemed for travel for up to 12 months from the original booking.
” (https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...o-coronavirus/)

and

The travel credit can be redeemed for travel within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued.” (https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...ronavirus.html)

That seems ludicrous. I have a QF booking for April 2020, but purchased the tickets in June 2019. So I could only get a credit voucher which must be redeemed for travel by June 2020!?

But how about this one? - https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...trictions.html

We have a HKG to Australia booking in April, but are currently in the Schengen Zone and will be until early April. Hong Kong has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all Schengen arrivals and now Australia has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all international arrivals. It’s simply not feasible for us to get to Australia. Surely this should be refunded?
Ellie_CA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: NZ
Has anyone seen more detailed T&C's on the credit/voucher that QF is offering if a booking is cancelled? For example I am interested to know:

* Can a NZ Dollar credit be used to purchase a ticket in AU Dollars or another currency?
* Can the credit/voucher be used for multiple QF bookings booked at different times?
* Can the credit be used as part payment for a new ticket?
* What happens at the expiry date of the credit if there is still a balance? Is this balance forfeited?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Well - it is a step forward ar least.
Blackcloud likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by go_around
According to Qantas:

• For Qantas customers, travel credit can be redeemed for travel for up to 12 months from the original booking.
” (https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...o-coronavirus/)

and

The travel credit can be redeemed for travel within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued.” (https://www.qantas.com/us/en/travel-...ronavirus.html)

That seems ludicrous. I have a QF booking for April 2020, but purchased the tickets in June 2019. So I could only get a credit voucher which must be redeemed for travel by June 2020!?

?
This does indeed seem idiotic. tTo take an extreme example, what exactly is the case if someone booked travel for 15 may 2020 on 20 may last year? They would according to this policy have five days window in which to rebook their travel. And insurance in most cases wont cover coronavirus.

It should be to be used within 12 months from date of issue of voucher.
Ellie_CA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Question Qantas Hotels cancellation?

Does the cancellation policy also apply to Qantas Hotels?
E.g. if we have booked a non-refundable hotel stay during this period, can we cancel for either a full refund or a credit to be used later?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
This does indeed seem idiotic. tTo take an extreme example, what exactly is the case if someone booked travel for 15 may 2020 on 20 may last year? They would according to this policy have five days window in which to rebook their travel. And insurance in most cases wont cover coronavirus.

It should be to be used within 12 months from date of issue of voucher.
The airline is making exceptions which are beyond what it is required to do - it could have simply stuck with the fare rules. Give someone a free cup of coffee and then they complain that it is not a mug of coffee

The airline is also not an insurance company - just because some insurance policies will not cover it, does not mean that the airline should become an unpaid insurer. There are insurances that , if taken out before the situation became major, do cover it and those buying tickets 10 months ago had opportunity to take out insurance before anyone had heard of Wuhan
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
The airline is making exceptions which are beyond what it is required to do - it could have simply stuck with the fare rules. Give someone a free cup of coffee and then they complain that it is not a mug of coffee

The airline is also not an insurance company - just because some insurance policies will not cover it, does not mean that the airline should become an unpaid insurer. There are insurances that , if taken out before the situation became major, do cover it and those buying tickets 10 months ago had opportunity to take out insurance before anyone had heard of Wuhan
OK lets put this in the context of another tasman airline, Air NZ, which has a similar policy except that the credit simply needs to be booked within 12 months of the original travel date. So in the hypothetical example above, the person could rebook on 19 March 2020 for travel until 19 march 2021. If I understand the QF policy it needs to be flown within 12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.