Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
does anyone know ANY way to get a hold of Qantas reservations? I've tried twitter, qantas, qantasusa, i spent four hours on hold over the weekend, then the line went dead. I've tried online for nearly a week now, just to get into my booking and it NEVER goes past the typing in the REQ LOC page.. NEVER gets to manage booking and I've tried on every device I own. At this point, T-48 for 3500$ in int'l tickets, I really just want to cancel and get my refund!@ I have the feeling they are ARTIFICIALLY making this more difficult than it has to be
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:43 pm

Do anyone know what would happen after the March 31 deadline to claim you credit voucher for cancelled flight? I have a flight which include a Qantas flight and a Jetstar flight. The Jetstar segment was cancel by Qantas however the Qantas flight on April 10 seem to be still listed. I only have an option to claim a voucher. I am curious if i wait until April 10 and Qantas did cancel the Qantas flight as well would i get a refund? Or would I be force to take the voucher? or would I lose up the option for the voucher after March 31st?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Well, after 4.5 hours on the phone today I finally got an agent. Yes, my flights had already been cancelled, so they weren’t sure why it hadn’t already triggered outreach.

Apparently they have now confirmed a cancellation and full refund, with no fees since both legs of my flight were cancelled. They said it would go to the Refund Review desk and could take up to 14 days for the refund to show up on my credit card. The original booking ID will reflect it online after that.

I DID get a confirmation via email just after the call but the confirmation, with the same record locator, now shows two people on a single economy flight between Melbourne and Sydney on July 23, 2020.. It would SEEM either this is a total mix up, or possibly what they are doing in THEIR system, is rebooking the ticket NOW to get it off the original day, and put it out to a date in the future. Then, it goes to a booking desk and over the course of the next couple weeks they will pull it up and process the refund. I HOPE.

It’s a bit odd to have two 1700 OW Biz tickets to be refunded, somehow show up as two 2.5 hour economy domestic legs. We’ll see. If I don’t see anything in 2-3 weeks, I’ll start the chargeback to AMEX
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: NZ
In Manage my Booking the only option now available for me is Voucher. A Refund option is no longer available. My flights still don't show as cancelled.

ETA: I called QF - only about an hour with a callback but that was to the premium line. I had two bookings before end May. Got a refund on one (with no canx fee) and took a voucher on the other to retain the DSC on it. There was no problem getting a refund so I would recommend everyone to call and discuss your bookings. Full marks to QF for dealing with this extremely professionally.

Last edited by minz56; Mar 23, 2020 at 11:40 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by minz56
In Manage my Booking the only option now available for me is Voucher. A Refund option is no longer available. My flights still don't show as cancelled.

ETA: I called QF - only about an hour with a callback but that was to the premium line. I had two bookings before end May. Got a refund on one (with no canx fee) and took a voucher on the other to retain the DSC on it. There was no problem getting a refund so I would recommend everyone to call and discuss your bookings. Full marks to QF for dealing with this extremely professionally.
I now received a confirmation email saying my flights have been cancelled and I have received future flight credit (which I don’t want), though MMB doesn’t say they are cancelled and I too now only see the voucher option.

I don’t think this has been dealt with professionally at all. Much less so than other airlines. I shouldn’t have to sit for hours calling someone up to get the full refund that should be automatically processed by default, or should be clearly and easily selectable on MMB. And I won’t be calling them up for that. If there is no other way to contact them (might try Twitter), I will proceed straight to CC dispute.

This is just the classic sign of a greedy company. I know airlines are allegedly struggling for financial survival, but customer loyalty and goodwill has a value, too.

Edit: Having to call up for this is also a way to needlessly add to their huge call volume, making it harder for other, needier travellers to get through in a timely way.

Last edited by go_around; Mar 24, 2020 at 3:32 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:07 am

I received the email below. One of my segment was cancel by Qantas soI would think I am entitled to a refund if i chose. Qantas remove the refund option. I am yet to receive any contact from Qantas on this. This is also not my preference. How can an airline ignore passenger rights and cancel and issue a voucher without their consent. Beats me. I still wonder if i don't claim the voucher before March 31 and the cancel my flight what would happen.

"As a result, your upcoming flight has been cancelled and the value of your ticket stored in credit. You will receive a second email this week with the details of your credit voucher, which will outline the options available to you. Click here for more information regarding the Australian Consumer Law.

As we are experiencing long wait times, please reconsider your need to contact us at this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused."
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:17 am

I too have automatically received a credit voucher which I do not want. I want full refund, so will have to call them now.
Does anyone know if we get refund of the seat reservation too as my credit voucher doesnt not reflect that. The credit voucher just shows what I paid for the flight.
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:58 pm

Just got an email from Qantas that they have issue a credit voucher for my booking. When I checked it online I did have two option to which was a voucher or cancel my booking for a refund. I selected cancel my booking at was offer a full refund of the amount I paid. Will have to wait to see how long this will take to get back into my account since they stated it will take some time.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by gocat
I too have automatically received a credit voucher which I do not want. I want full refund, so will have to call them now.
Does anyone know if we get refund of the seat reservation too as my credit voucher doesnt not reflect that. The credit voucher just shows what I paid for the flight.
Thanks in advance
You can request a refund for seats via the link below.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...form/global/en
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by rsydney
You can request a refund for seats via the link below.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...form/global/en
Thank you for your reply. Managed to submit a refund for seat selection coming back from sydney in may but it wont allow me to do it for the flight going from london to sydney. There is no April in the drop down box. So frustrating. They are making this so hard.

Refund Form

For Flight: QF 0002 LHR to SYD
Refund Service: Advanced Seat Selection

Thanks for your submitting your refund request. On this occasion you're not eligible for a refund of this service.

We can only offer refunds if:
  • We were unable to allocate your requested seat type
  • We move you to a flight not operated by Qantas
We don't offer refunds if we've moved you to a seat in a higher cabin class for operational, safety or security reasons.

If you believe you are still eligible for a refund according to the terms and conditions, you can ask us to review your case.
I tried the "review your case" bit and that is the bit that wont let me select April 2020. Only goes up to March 2020.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rsydney
Just got an email from Qantas that they have issue a credit voucher for my booking. When I checked it online I did have two option to which was a voucher or cancel my booking for a refund. I selected cancel my booking at was offer a full refund of the amount I paid. Will have to wait to see how long this will take to get back into my account since they stated it will take some time.
I also just got this. It appears to be for the full amount of the original booking, but something to look out for: we added an infant to the booking later and this cost is not included in the refund amount, so something I will probably need to chase later. It’s worth checking to see whether any later changes you made to the reservation and paid for are also included in the refund amount.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:20 pm

Just looked at "manage my booking" again and now I have a refund button right at the bottom. Cant remember seeing it there before, so worth a look
So hopefully getting a refund on flight, refund on one way seat reservation ( will try the link above another day to get other seat reservation)
Also, can claim my travel insurance fee back as they emailed me to say I can do this if I manage to get a refund from the flight people.
But will leave that till I actually get the refund.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Corona Virus Travel Update

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...3Aen%3Aflights

Still not clear as to what they are doing with reward bookings.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:15 am

still not clear what the option are to get status credit without flying before the year expire. I am close to getting platinum but can't fly. Hope they can do like JAL has done.

Coronavirus related DOUBLE FOP promotion Feb,20-July,20(https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/jmb/jmb-notice/)
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by LukeO9
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...3Aen%3Aflights

Still not clear as to what they are doing with reward bookings.
Have you called them to ask? It's difficult to get through but not impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.