Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow - Terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
but beware it shows LGW as "Galleries" and Geneva (GVA) as "Terraces", neither of which is correct. There may be other inconsistencies - I just know of the ones I have recently visited.
LGW lounge are now Galleries (Galleries First and Galleries Club) - they have been partly refreshed with new flooring, some new furniture etc. The signs at the entrance haven't yet been updated, but LGW refurbishment is complete apart from that.

It shouldn't make a difference whether the lounges are Terraces or Galleries Club - Qantas Club members still get access to them. Galleries First and Galleries Club are simply the new concept lounges which are replacing First and Terraces lounges.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Originally Posted by Genius1
LGW lounge are now Galleries (Galleries First and Galleries Club) - they have been partly refreshed with new flooring, some new furniture etc. The signs at the entrance haven't yet been updated, but LGW refurbishment is complete apart from that.

I stand corrected - I was going by the signs at the door (October 2011), and the fact that I had been allowed in using my Qantas Club membership without a query, which was not the experience at GVA in August or more recently at LHR/T5.

It shouldn't make a difference whether the lounges are Terraces or Galleries Club - Qantas Club members still get access to them. Galleries First and Galleries Club are simply the new concept lounges which are replacing First and Terraces lounges
You appear to have missed much of this thread. The denial of access to Qantas Club members especially at LHR/T5 appears to have been precisely because the lounges are now branded Galleries and the Qantas T&C refer only to the older lounge branding.

Many of us are STILL waiting on Qantas to resolve and respond to an acknowledged problem at LHR/T5.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
You appear to have missed much of this thread. The denial of access to Qantas Club members especially at LHR/T5 appears to have been precisely because the lounges are now branded Galleries and the Qantas T&C refer only to the older lounge branding.

Many of us are STILL waiting on Qantas to resolve and respond to an acknowledged problem at LHR/T5.
I haven't missed the thread at all! It sounds to me very much like the agents have the incorrect information/don't understand Qantas Club access (and are perhaps trying to find some link to oneworld Sapphire status which of course there isn't).

BA agents have a list of access requirements, and if Qantas Club hasn't been included this may very well be out of error rather than design.

I just don't see how it would make a difference whether a lounge was branded as Galleries Club or Terraces - they are still BA business class lounges.

I agree this is very frustrating for Qantas Club members!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It shouldn't make a difference whether the lounges are Terraces or Galleries Club - Qantas Club members still get access to them. Galleries First and Galleries Club are simply the new concept lounges which are replacing First and Terraces lounges.

Most definitely missed much of the thread; for specifics see posts #49, #63 and #125 of this thread (reposted herein):
Originally Posted by reubee
As suggested I raised the issue with QF and got a response.

Essentially the wording of the rule is "In addition to Qantas Club lounges, you can relax in British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges) and American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges...."

The lounges in Heathrow T5 are Galleries lounges.

Looking at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ublic/en_gb#ui that doesn't leave much
Originally Posted by serfty
I have made a direct enquiry myself on behalf of "a friend ".

It took two days but I received the (becoming) standard reply regarding Galleries not being part of the agreement. Also was this:
...The only exception to this arrangement is at Terminal 3 at Heathrow, where Qantas has a separate arrangement with British Airways to allow Qantas Club members departing on a Qantas service to access to the British Airways Galleries lounge at T3. ...
I replied back with the following:
... Until recently my friend was quite able to access the Galleries lounges at LHR T5 using his Qantas Club membership before flying on BA flights to Europe.

This had been the case since T5 opened.

So this appears to have been a change in policy. If so, can you please confirm when this indeed changed. ...
About 20 minutes later I received a telephone call with further advice. To paraphrase:
  • QP membership based access to T5 Galleries has never been a benefit.
  • For those QP members that has been allowed access to T5 Galleries, they should not have been permitted entry.
  • This non access is now being enforced.
I finished the call with a comment that such a quibble over naming of lounges in relation make Qantas Club membership virtually useless for BA flights to Europe and represented a severe reduction in value.
Originally Posted by amaroo
Just reviewed this post on AFF:-

Re: [Confirmed] No LHR T5 Galleries access for QP before BA/QF flights

A colleague working for a government office contacted the government travel provider for clarification. A rep from the provider contacted QF and this was the response:

Terminal 3
Qantas has a lounge agreement to use the British Airways Lounge in Terminal 3 as this is the terminal where all Qantas Flights depart from.
Access to this lounge is for all eligible Qantas Club members as well as Gold and Platinum Frequent Flyers and Chairmans Lounge Members.
The standard Lounge Access policy conditions apply – ‘must be travelling on QF/BA operated flights’. One guest allowed (except CL members who are allowed 2).
As this is a British Airways Lounge, not a Qantas Lounge, the child policy is different. The child age for this lounge is up to 12yrs. (whereas for Qantas owned Lounges it’s up to 18yrs).

Partner Agreement with BA
A partner Agreement is also in place with British Airways which means Qantas Club members are entitled to use the BA Lounges however the agreement is only for the ‘Terrace Lounges’ and ‘Executive Club Lounges’. The lounges which are in Terminal 5 are not these types of lounges – they are ‘Galleries Lounge’ therefore Qantas Club members are not entitled to these lounges.
To find the location of the British Airways Terrace and Executive Club Lounges, please follow this link http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_au
To access a partner lounge, the customer needs to present their Qantas Club membership card or Platinum / Gold Frequent Flyer card plus boarding pass and must be travelling onwards that day on a flight marketed and operated by BA. One guest is also allowed access as long as they are travelling with the member.

Terminal 5
As Qantas does not depart from Terminal 5 there is no agreement for Qantas Club members to use the BA lounges located in this terminal.
The partner agreement is also not applicable based on the above therefore access to the British Airways Lounges located in T5 would only be for oneworld members (Sapphire and Emeralds which is equivalent to Qantas Gold and Platinum Frequent Flyer) and the standard oneworld Lounge Access policy applies – must be travelling on a oneworld marketed and operated airline. One guest allowed also travelling on a oneworld operated and marketed flight.

Complete and utter rubbish, as far as I'm concerned. According to the document with the link provided above, Qantas codeshares on nine BA flights ex-LHR and every one departs from T5. Yet they are not entitled to lounge access.

What a bunch of *ankers......starting to think that the unions might have a case

Last edited by serfty; Dec 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Most definitely, see posts #49, #63 and #125 of this thread (reposted herein):
My apologies. I have not read the whole thread (just skim read as I would've been there for ages otherwise ).

It does seem rather petty to exclude the T5 lounges specifically. And, as I understand it, QC members are being excluded from other Galleries branded lounges, which, as so rightly pointed out, makes absolutely no sense if access is still granted at Terraces branded lounges.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My apologies. I have not read the whole thread (just skim read as I would've been there for ages otherwise ).

It does seem rather petty to exclude the T5 lounges specifically. And, as I understand it, QC members are being excluded from other Galleries branded lounges, which, as so rightly pointed out, makes absolutely no sense if access is still granted at Terraces branded lounges.
It is a negative trend but does actually make sense under the precise rules of access which specifically states that members are allowed access to Execuive Club lounges and Terraces lounges with no mention of Galleries

Maybe at some point Qantas will come back with a resolution clarfying for long term one way or the other
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Maybe at some point Qantas will come back with a resolution clarfying for long term one way or the other
Still no response, they are still working on it with BA.
I have time to speculate.
BA has heard complaints from their FF about paid access to their lounges and wants to stop or restrict it.
QF wants the access for their QP members but at reasonable costs.
End solution, BA will allow QP members access to the Galleries Lounges (with an increased fee to Qantas why not pass up a revenue increase) if they are travelling as part of a JSA itinerary.
This stops QP holders based in Europe and others that are flying BA in Economy, QP will refund these members the fee
QP holders using BA intra-European flights connecting to/from long haul will have access, probably the majority of impacted members.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Still no response, they are still working on it with BA.
I have time to speculate.
BA has heard complaints from their FF about paid access to their lounges and wants to stop or restrict it.
QF wants the access for their QP members but at reasonable costs.
End solution, BA will allow QP members access to the Galleries Lounges (with an increased fee to Qantas why not pass up a revenue increase) if they are travelling as part of a JSA itinerary.
This stops QP holders based in Europe and others that are flying BA in Economy, QP will refund these members the fee
QP holders using BA intra-European flights connecting to/from long haul will have access, probably the majority of impacted members.
In the absence of facts, BD's speculative effort:

1) Previously, QF were paying BA *something* for Lounge access by QC subscribers (I can't believe BA grant access still at Terraces through the goodness of their own hearts)
2) As part of the negotiations around BA picking up the 50% of LHR flights and their respective slots, BA requested increased revenue for QC access for all Lounges (they could easily counter any BAEC complaints with "they're subsidising Galleries ops"), QF baulked and BA countered with "you never had Galleries Access guaranteed anyway" straight off the QF website
3) As QF were desperate to lose the BKK/HKG-LHR sectors, they agreed to BA enforcing Galleries non-access, not realising the outcry
4) BA, having picked up an extra flight to HKG, losing the loss-making BKK-SYD and two extra slots at LHR for a nicely negotiated sum, thank-you-very-much, are rebuffing all attempts by QF to remedy the situation
5) Reduced costs (through not paying BA) will NOT be passed to QC subscribers. They'll be expected to suck-it-up, like the morphing of QCs into JQ Lounges.

... and it's only Tuesday!

Regards,

BD
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
There seems to be a perception in Australia that QF Club access to BA lounges is disliked by BAEC members or on the BA board. I really don't think this is the case. I have never heard any concerns about QF Club, and a number of FTers without status have taken advantage of the QF Club scheme. If anything it is looked on rather favourably.

I suspect it may be less popular with BA, who may be concerned that it removes the incentive for UK based passengers to buy business class tickets (and thereby obtain lounge access), or because they are considering introducing paid lounge access themselves. But I don't think anyone on FT is complaining about it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Another week and apparently no closer to getting a response from Qantas regarding their resolution of this issue.

Still , it seems that the

SENATE RURAL AFFAIRS AND TRANSPORT
LEGISLATION COMMITTEE
Inquiry into Air Navigation & Civil Aviation Amendment (Aircraft Crew) Bill 2011; Qantas Sale
Amendment (Still Call Australia Home) Bill 2011
Public Hearing Friday, 4 November 2011
Written Questions on Notice – Qantas Group

have not had much success either.

A recent post on AFF, and the referenced response to written questions about Qantas Club benefits makes for some interesting, albeit frustrating, reading.

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...tml#post533064
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Odd thing to raise in parliament IMHO. It is taking quite a while to resolve the Galleries Lounge access issue but I hardly think it is a matter of national importance.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by deeruck
Odd thing to raise in parliament IMHO. It is taking quite a while to resolve the Galleries Lounge access issue but I hardly think it is a matter of national importance.
It is the undertones here. Given that it was raised in committee in relation to the Bill to retain Australian employment, it *could* have been raised as an aspect of Australian travellers losing benefits because of the lack of "Australian-ness" that Qantas is percieved as pursuing.

After all, reduced presence at LHR, means that paid QP members get less access than before.

Anything for political points, after all.

Dave
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deeruck
Things are interconnected.

Qantas is stopping flying between Hong Kong and London. Instead, they will have you on BA if you want to fly that way. And the flight from LHR to HKG departs from Terminal 5. No access to a lounge for the Qantas Club members!

So in a way it relates to the changes Qantas have made to their international opertaions
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I vote for Occam's razor: Someone who's become aware of the issue has put a tame Senator up to this, as there was serendipitously a good excuse to have some fun with it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I vote for Occam's razor: Someone who's become aware of the issue has put a tame Senator up to this, as there was serendipitously a good excuse to have some fun with it.
Gee, are you suggesting a constituent has managed to get their Senate Rep to raise a pertinent issue at a Parliamentary inquiry? ... who'd imagine ...

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.