Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by blue2007
I wonder how I could get a price on this route?

ORD-LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX-ORD?

Not sure if it can be done, also not sure how to price it since Google Flights doesn't let you input that many segments.
after it lets me route LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX for $962 I'll be sure to let you know

for most of us, I think LAX-ORD-MIA-ORD-LAX will be the best we can do
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I wonder how I could get a price on this route?

ORD-LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX-ORD?

Not sure if it can be done, also not sure how to price it since Google Flights doesn't let you input that many segments.
I highly doubt you could begin and end at ORD but you most definitely can find a price for around $950 for LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX.

It wouldn't cost you much to do a positioning flight from ORD-LAX-ORD. I have had to do positioning flights for all these runs that start and end in LAX. Ive tried to start this trip in other cities and the PTY run is the same way.

ORD-LAX segments can be secured for $64 each way. A small price to pay for a run that has much potential to outweigh any associated cost.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
I highly doubt you could begin and end at ORD but you most definitely can find a price for around $950 for LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX.

It wouldn't cost you much to do a positioning flight from ORD-LAX-ORD. I have had to do positioning flights for all these runs that start and end in LAX. Ive tried to start this trip in other cities and the PTY run is the same way.

ORD-LAX segments can be secured for $64 each way. A small price to pay for a run that has much potential to outweigh any associated cost.
If I could find an AA flight for $64, yes, that would be worth it.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
after it lets me route LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX for $962 I'll be sure to let you know

for most of us, I think LAX-ORD-MIA-ORD-LAX will be the best we can do
So this one LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX can actually be booked? It's a crazy route, but lots of miles.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
So this one LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAX can actually be booked? It's a crazy route, but lots of miles.
No of course not!! It was a joke.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:31 pm

If I could find an AA flight for $64, yes, that would be worth it.
There are several dates for the next four months offering $64 fares. Here is just one for example. Plenty of time in between to do a run anywhere.

Leaving December 10th ORD-LAX.
Returning December 15th LAX-ORD.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Re prices higher:

Snoozing on a reservation SFO-LAX-CLT-MIA-PTY r/t, found price jumped 40+%.

Also west coast to BAQ and SAL followed, even higher increase there. AA must have sensed the demand and decided to make something out of it.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by melrowgo
This is the story of my MR routing attempts at all times! Bravo for such an amazing configuration.

This is something I need to learn more about: the idea of getting credit on a oneworld partner instead of AA, then leveraging that with AA flights. Is there a sticky thread or main thread that talks about the pros/cons of doing this, especially in light of the new EQD requirements (which will likely ruin status for me in the future, I'm afraid)?
I too am studying qualifying for non-AA oneworld Emerald status, for the additional lounge access and other benefits not available to even EXPs. I was considering BA, but will now look into QF as well. There seems to be no point in loading up early year miles into AA, when I am good through February 2018. So, time to credit the miles elsewhere to get some other useful status in the meantime.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slice
Any chance of getting it to route LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO?

I tried but was not successful.
See my post just above yours. The rules on this fare directly block the A321T
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
See my post just above yours. The rules on this fare directly block the A321T
Yes unfortunately Madone59 is correct. The same applies for the PTY runs as well. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past. I have posted the applicable rules below for anyone interested. And for those who have booked prior to the inclusions, you lucked out indeed.

I will go ahead and make amendments to the wikis for both PTY and UIO so that all are aware who come across these threads at a later time.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Yes unfortunately Madone59 is correct. The same applies for the PTY runs as well. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past. I have posted the applicable rules below for anyone interested. And for those who have booked prior to the inclusions, you lucked out indeed.
I got lucky last week when my JFK-CLT leg was delayed for a mechanical issue, which would have caused me to miss my connection to LAX, and that was the last flight out of the night from CLT. I was able to talk my way into J on the non-stop on the A321T. That's a very nice seat.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
I got lucky last week when my JFK-CLT leg was delayed for a mechanical issue, which would have caused me to miss my connection to LAX, and that was the last flight out of the night from CLT. I was able to talk my way into J on the non-stop on the A321T. That's a very nice seat.
Case in point where IRROPS lead to advantageous outcomes!! I'm glad to hear it all worked out. This just shows that even though nonstop flights via JFK are no longer available at the lowest prices, there is a glimmer of light that you may be able to reroute onto the nonstop transcons during delays, misconnects and cancellations. And given AA's on time performance or lack thereof, it's a real possibility!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Any updated trip reports for this run? I'm going in early Dec. Already had to deal with one equipment change- a 767-300 to a 321 for LAX-MIA, but called and they switched us to the 777-300ER (not bad!).

I'm looking for tips on getting to and from the airport to the city. How bad is traffic, how much time to allow for security at UIO, etc? Have a 10pm arrival, a one day stay, and then a 8am departure.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
Any updated trip reports for this run? I'm going in early Dec. Already had to deal with one equipment change- a 767-300 to a 321 for LAX-MIA, but called and they switched us to the 777-300ER (not bad!).

I'm looking for tips on getting to and from the airport to the city. How bad is traffic, how much time to allow for security at UIO, etc? Have a 10pm arrival, a one day stay, and then a 8am departure.

Thanks in advance!!!
Equipment change is a norm for this route. From airport into town at 10pm is not that bad, took about 45mins on a Saturday night to near Plaza Foch. On our run, the morning departure was at 7am, we left town around 445am but we had already gotten our boarding pass at MIA the day before. If you want, I can pass along contact for the driver we used, if you speak Spanish it will help, myself only un poquito and google translate didnt help much. One way was around 25usd and they have a counter where you pay for the ride base on zones where your hotel is.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47

Thanks in advance!!!
My personal experience:

I arrived a bit delayed around 10pm on same flight but an earlier scheduled time and then immigration took almost an hour. Then took a taxi to the Hilton in the city which was about 45 minutes. No traffic this late. Got into hotel room after midnight. Tried to unwind after showering and getting into bed but didnt get to sleep until 1am. Slept for 3 hours until wake up call at 4 am. Then left hotel at 4:30am. Got to airport between 5 and 5:15am. No traffic this early. Checked in and got through immigration in less than 10 minutes. Boarded about a half hour later for a 7am departure.

Never again will I do this quick overnight turn with a stay in the city. I was kicking myself for not staying next to the airport at the Wyndham. It was a waste of time to go into the city to stay at a Hilton on an award stay just to be in the hotel for not even 5 hours. I had booked another run that I ended up canceling which had two nights in Quito and that would have been much more worth it so I could actually see the city and do stuff.

I strongly recommend that you stay near the airport at the Wyndham or at the family run mini-hotels. A friend stayed at Hotel Las Mercedes for 35 dollars and they picked him up from the airport and it was just perfect for a short overnight stay. I know the Wyndham is much more expensive but the hotel is exponentially nicer than the small inns nearby.

I also was really affected by the altitude being that I live at sea level and flew in from sea level. A lot of people aren't affected but for me, I had a headache and was even more tired so the few hours of sleep there didnt help at all. If I had stayed near the airport, I know that extra time in the airport hotel room would have made a difference in how I felt.

In sum, it was a miserable experience in UIO and I could not wait to get back to Miami where I felt much better after a nice rest on the plane and being back in lower elevations. I never thought Id be so excited to be back on an AA plane but oh did it feel good to lay down in comfort on a smooth ride to MIA.

From what I saw, I thought the Hilton was great. I didnt experience much though. For my 2017 UIO trip, I will be staying at the Hilton again on points. SO cheap at 20K. I feel its so hard to get 20K hilton stays nowadays. 30k is so much more common. Ill have more time there and Ill be taking some medicine too so the extra day makes a world of difference to me.

The PTY same day turn trips are a cake walk compared to UIO. At same time, you dont get as many EQMs so its all about weighing the pros and cons.

Last edited by wanderlust4life; Oct 19, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.