Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
From Canada

YUL-CLT-MIA-UIO return $ 943

YVR-PHX-MIA-UIO return $ 937

YVR-DFW-MIA-UIO return $ 937
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by brizone
Careful: Just be aware that for that lounge, only Int'l. OneWorld flights departing LAX qualify to get you in if you're relying on your AA status. No AA domestic flights allowed, and *not* including AA to Canada, the Caribbean, or Mexico (except Mexico City). So a leg to MIA wouldn't do the trick in your case.

Amazingly, even being mere Plat/Sapphire will also get you into what may be the best lounge in the USA...with the right outbound flight.

Details here: http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...unge/global/en
As it happened, my status changed showed on the phone app, even though it did not show when I asked the agent at the check-in counter to re-print my boarding pass, hoping it would show up on there. But, I went to the Qantas F lounge, showed them my ticket to MIA-PTY and the status as shown on my phone, and they welcomed me in.

While the business lounge is quite nice, the F lounge is about as good as it gets in this country. I was just there again last night.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:37 pm

So, a follow-up question on the wiki. If I am coming inbound on the return leg of a UIO-MIA-LAX flight, and am EXP, do I get to use the Qantas F lounge on arrival? I was actually able to finagle my way in there last night, along with a woman who was also in F on the 777-300, but was an AA gold, and flying onto Sydney in business. Between our F tickets arriving, and my status, we were let in after a minute or two. But, I'd like to know if I should be able to get in in the future, if I am on the final leg of a return international flight, and whether or not connecting in MIA makes any difference.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
So, a follow-up question on the wiki. If I am coming inbound on the return leg of a UIO-MIA-LAX flight, and am EXP, do I get to use the Qantas F lounge on arrival? I was actually able to finagle my way in there last night, along with a woman who was also in F on the 777-300, but was an AA gold, and flying onto Sydney in business. Between our F tickets arriving, and my status, we were let in after a minute or two. But, I'd like to know if I should be able to get in in the future, if I am on the final leg of a return international flight, and whether or not connecting in MIA makes any difference.
Yes, you should have access at EXP + flying to UIO. But I'm not sure if that woman should have had access. She should have been in the oneworld J lounge, because she is flying to SYD in J. Her flight from MIA/JFK in F doesn't give access on arrival, only when departing.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Can EXP's with guests (non-elite) enter OW F lounges on international flights? Does the class of service traveling matter?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by joetraveler99
Can EXP's with guests (non-elite) enter OW F lounges on international flights? Does the class of service traveling matter?
OW Emerald on international itin should get a guest, regardless of class of service. I've had lounge dragons (including the one at the QF lounge) want to verify that the guest is actually traveling with you, but in some cases they don't even care about that. It's possible many times to bring a friend in whether or not you're on the same flights.

The official rules are: Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

Reading this, the guest doesn't have to be on your flight, just a OW flight.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

So my guest could, hypothetically, hold a same-day Y ticket LAX-PHX, and accompany me into the QF lounge at LAX? Assuming the lounge dragon doesn't try to (incorrectly, I presume) insist that we are traveling together?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by joetraveler99
So my guest could, hypothetically, hold a same-day Y ticket LAX-PHX, and accompany me into the QF lounge at LAX? Assuming the lounge dragon doesn't try to (incorrectly, I presume) insist that we are traveling together?
So long as the guest is flying US Airways DBA American Airlines, which is a member of oneworld.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Yes, you should have access at EXP + flying to UIO. But I'm not sure if that woman should have had access. She should have been in the oneworld J lounge, because she is flying to SYD in J. Her flight from MIA/JFK in F doesn't give access on arrival, only when departing.
My question was really about whether I can get access upon arrival in LAX, which is my final stop incoming from UIO via MIA.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Outbound Flight Determines Qantas LAX Entry

My question was really about whether I can get access upon arrival in LAX, which is my final stop incoming from UIO via MIA.
Ah, no. Outbound flight determines entry. I was unable to use it when I was arriving home in Cathay F from HKG, connecting to F on AS (which is not a OW airline).

To clarify: when you were able to get in there outbound, you were indeed heading for MIA and simply showing the connecting flight from MIA worked? That's spectacular news if so (and makes sense if one applies the spirit of the rules, not the letter).
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:55 pm

Yes.

Originally Posted by brizone
Ah, no. Outbound flight determines entry. I was unable to use it when I was arriving home in Cathay F from HKG, connecting to F on AS (which is not a OW airline).

To clarify: when you were able to get in there outbound, you were indeed heading for MIA and simply showing the connecting flight from MIA worked? That's spectacular news if so (and makes sense if one applies the spirit of the rules, not the letter).
Because you were connecting to AS. If you were connecting to AA, you would have access.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Int'l: Yes, Domestic: No

Originally Posted by keitherson
Yes.

Because you were connecting to AS. If you were connecting to AA, you would have access.
Right, but only for next flight on [any] OneWorld int'l: not domestic. They explicitly don't allow it in the entry requirements. (Unless I suppose you get lucky with someone who didn't catch that part).
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Plat
You can not access the Qantas lounge upon arrival if LAX is your final destination in your ticket.

"Bring out the rule book…

This is at odds with the published lounge access policy of the Oneworld alliance, of which both Qantas and American Airlines are members.

Under those rules, AAdvantage Executive Platinum members – who sit on the same Oneworld Emerald status tier as Qantas Platinums, for example – can use the Qantas first class lounge after an international flight provided they have a domestic AA connection (regardless of travel class) on the same day.

All that’s needed is to flash the necessary international boarding pass or e-ticket confirmation of an international flight marketed and operated by a Oneworld airline (including American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and of course Qantas)."

I tried it myself on one of my return flight and was denied.

Last edited by minyung; Jan 7, 2017 at 8:58 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by minyung
You can not access the Qantas lounge upon arrival if LAX is your final destination in your ticket.

"Bring out the rule book…

This is at odds with the published lounge access policy of the Oneworld alliance, of which both Qantas and American Airlines are members.

Under those rules, AAdvantage Executive Platinum members – who sit on the same Oneworld Emerald status tier as Qantas Platinums, for example – can use the Qantas first class lounge after an international flight provided they have a domestic AA connection (regardless of travel class) on the same day.

All that’s needed is to flash the necessary international boarding pass or e-ticket confirmation of an international flight marketed and operated by a Oneworld airline (including American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and of course Qantas)."

I tried it myself on one of my return flight and was denied.
Might pay to carry a copy of the lounge access rules with you in order to 'educate' the lounge angel/dragon.

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
not seeing this under 1k on google flights for Feb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.