Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by joetraveler99
LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO-MIA-JFK-LAX. $836, but I think it's gone up now.

Yup, I'm seeing nearly $1400. My route leaving on the 18th required two nights in Quito to get <$900 and I figured it would be nice to have a day and night to explore. Next time around I probably rather pay a bit more on the flight and save myself from spending an extra day.

Anyways I'll keep a eye out for a decrease and book it if I can pick it up for decent amount. I need to purchase my positioning flight soon from AUS to LAX so I can't wait too long.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by joetraveler99
I finally pushed the button on this trip, having started this thread back in January. Leaving LAX on the red-eye to JFK on Sept. 22, returning to LAX on the 27th. This will put me at about 85k EQM, and I need to find something to send me over the top before year's end. I've already done the PTY RT. Thoughts, anyone?
I'll be doing this run on the same days as well. Wonder how many other runners will be on these flights!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Just booked LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO & reverse with 10 overnight hours in UIO for $858, departing on the 19th. Only one 757 with the angled seats on the MIA-JFK return.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Just booked LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO & reverse with 10 overnight hours in UIO for $858, departing on the 19th. Only one 757 with the angled seats on the MIA-JFK return.
Hey there,

I arrive in Quito on the 19th an depart Quito on the 21st. Are you leaving LAX on the 19th or leaving UIO then?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Hey there,

I arrive in Quito on the 19th an depart Quito on the 21st. Are you leaving LAX on the 19th or leaving UIO then?
I'm arriving in Quito the night of the 20th. Currently leaving Quito on the 21st at 7am, but may re-ticket to return the 23rd. Will decide in the morning - waiting on a response from a tour agency.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Please update as to whether the 767 you fly tomorrow is lie flat or old configuration. You lucked out with having the 787 not changed on tomorrows flight.

I was booked on the 787 6:20 pm flight for a trip in October and they changed all days to the 5:05pm flight instead and put me on a 737. I called and complained and they switched me to the earlier one. Now I only have a 50 minute connection in ORD so fingers crossed I make the connection or its the later flight on the 737 indeed.
Sad to report my 767 was old config even though seat map showed new. Also while the 787 was sweet, they landed us at a remote gate in LAX because there was no room in terminal 4 or Tom Bradly :/

All in all though it was a nice run and I got to go to the equator
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

disregard, error

Last edited by joetraveler99; Sep 6, 2016 at 4:51 pm Reason: error
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Sad to report my 767 was old config even though seat map showed new. Also while the 787 was sweet, they landed us at a remote gate in LAX because there was no room in terminal 4 or Tom Bradly :/

All in all though it was a nice run and I got to go to the equator
Thanks for the update! I have reached out to several that have done this run and they've all reported being on the old config 767 even though seat map showed new config as late as while being in terminal on day of departure! I don't think we will see a consistent new 767 config on this route until at least close to all of the 767s have been updated.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Just back from the trip, LAX-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX, and spent a few days in Quito visiting some friends and getting to make some new ones. Loved the city, what a great place especially when you have locals taking you around. We also made it to the Ecuador vs. Brazil world cup qualifier on Thursday which was a real treat. Nothing like soccer in South America.

We stayed a couple of nights at the Hilton and really enjoyed the view to the south from our 16th floor room, as well as the club lounge. It was very convenient to just walk out the hotel and into the park Saturday morning for the market going on there. We moved to the JW Marriott on Saturday afternoon for our last night in town and the hotel was a bit nicer than the Hilton, as well as the breakfast in the club. The location of the JW is great for Parque la Carolina and the up scale area north of the hotel, but views aren't near as good as the Hilton if that's your thing (assuming you get one of the rooms at the Hilton with the great views). If I were to return and spend more than a few days I'd probably split the time between the two hotels again, but then I enjoy moving around somewhat.

AA crews were really good on all of our flights, especially the two segments on the return. The AA operation is a mess though, as repeatedly stated by others. We had the B773 on the LAX-MIA leg and though the flight was fully boarded and doors closed at scheduled departure it took another 90 minutes (90!) for us to actually depart. About 20 minutes into the delay the captain finally advised us they had tons of cargo to load so we would be delayed a bit while they completed that. Another 20 minutes later he informed us it was tons and tons of cargo, still loading. Then a few minutes after that he informed us we would have to push back from the TB int'l terminal and relocate to another gate at T4 for them to finish the loading, which all took another 45 minutes. So our 11:00 am departure finally pushed at 12:35 pm with wheels up at 1:05 pm. Guess we know what the priority is for AA: cargo, not passengers. It wasn't a crucial issue for us since we had to overnight in MIA anyway, and the great pods made it much more bearable, but there were a fair number of people who had connections who were understandably upset about it. On arrival in MIA it took 55 minutes until our checked bag came down the carousel. Same thing on return into MIA: 50+ minutes to get the bag, and priority bags were the very last off. I mostly expected delays somewhere along the line so I can't say I was really surprised. Still disappointing though how ragged the whole operation seems to be nowadays.

My final takeaway is that Quito is a great place to visit if you're a gambler with your flying experiences and you really want to regain, or just gain, status with an AAirline that will eventually get you there.

Last edited by Windward Side of Life; Sep 7, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
On arrival in MIA it took 55 minutes until our checked bag came down the carousel. Same thing on return into MIA: 50+ minutes to get the bag, and priority bags were the very last off. I mostly expected delays somewhere along the line so I can't say I was really surprised. Still disappointing though how ragged the whole operation seems to be nowadays.
Great Review!! Thanks for sharing! ^

I have to say though that theres a reason why traveling with only carryons is really the only way to go on these mileage runs and considering IRROPS. You wasted almost 2 hours of time just at the MIA baggage claims. Honestly, its really easy to take everything needed for a 2 week trip even in carryons. And there are plenty of places to wash clothes. I know in Quito, they have services that will come to hotel, pick up your bag of clothes and return back to you neatly folded at a fraction of the price of what the hotels charge.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Great Review!! Thanks for sharing! ^

I have to say though that theres a reason why traveling with only carryons is really the only way to go on these mileage runs and considering IRROPS. You wasted almost 2 hours of time just at the MIA baggage claims. Honestly, its really easy to take everything needed for a 2 week trip even in carryons. And there are plenty of places to wash clothes. I know in Quito, they have services that will come to hotel, pick up your bag of clothes and return back to you neatly folded at a fraction of the price of what the hotels charge.
Agreed, I almost always only travel with carry-on, MR or otherwise. It's an old habit from my past life as a ramper with an airline many years ago: after I saw what happens to bags in bins, plus flying stand-by for years, it was easy to get in the habit rather quickly.

On this trip I was taking a fair amount of supplies down for my friends who had just moved there a couple of months ago. Since I had to take the bag down anyway I just took a very small roll-aboard for some of my stuff and put the rest of my clothes in with the things I had for them. Plus it gave us some extra room for some things we purchased and brought back home. Next time I will just buy a cheap bag at Goodwill and check it going down, then just leave the bag there. Much better than wasting time fetching the bag on the way home.

I should add that I would do this run again in a heartbeat, and in fact hope to do it sometime early next year. Of course my trips aren't exactly mileage runs, since I stay for a few days. But for under $800 it's well worth it, even if the MIA-LAX leg back was on a 738 and the MIA-UIO-MIA legs were 752's with the angle-flat seats. For a 4 hour flight the angle-flats don't bother me a bit, in fact I find them fairly comfortable in a partially reclined position. Now if one is traveling alone, then the new seats on the 763 would be much more preferable, no doubt.

Last edited by Windward Side of Life; Sep 7, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Agreed, I almost always only travel with carry-on, MR or otherwise. It's an old habit from my past life as a ramper with an airline many years ago: after I saw what happens to bags in bins, plus flying stand-by for years, it was easy to get in the habit rather quickly.

On this trip I was taking a fair amount of supplies down for my friends who had just moved there a couple of months ago. Since I had to take the bag down anyway I just took a very small roll-aboard for some of my stuff and put the rest of my clothes in with the things I had for them. Plus it gave us some extra room for some things we purchased and brought back home. Next time I will just buy a cheap bag at Goodwill and check it going down, then just leave the bag there. Much better than wasting time fetching the bag on the way home.
Oh that makes complete sense!! Well you know first hand what happens with checked bags more so than most of us! Sometimes ignorance is bliss when I have to check a bag and don't think about what happens between A and B. I'm sure you had anything of importance and value in your carryon anyway.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:54 am

Just got an aircraft change notification! :-( Looks like the MIA-UIO-MIA route will be run by mostly 757s for several weeks this Fall. My run next month was scheduled to be on the 767s in both directions. Im now debating whether to fly on the morning flight instead to UIO and leave on the evening flight back to MIA. Oh well.

I know several of you are doing the run this month and you will now have to fly on the 757s as well. :-(

Last edited by wanderlust4life; Sep 11, 2016 at 7:55 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I am doing this MR and I just found out that my MIA-UIO(AA939) on 9/19 and UIO-MIA(AA932) on 9/20 has been switched to the old 757-200 with angle lie flat seats. I hope that there will not be any further equipment changes but I must say that I am very disappointed that it won't be the 767-300 retrofit.

On a side note, does anybody know if there are any other dates available on the MR before the end of the year?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:23 am

Does anyone have the fare basis code for this? I found NNN7DSN1 on ITA and thought it's economy...or maybe I'm looking at the wrong fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.