Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by kirker
I live there, too! Just FYI, the cheapest flight option to the area -- barring some sort of fare sale -- is AUS-LGB on jetBlue, which is usually around $200. On the down side, it's a *colossal* pain in the arse to travel between LGB and LAX. If you go this route, I'd strongly suggest finding a rental-car company that allows you to return the vehicle at a different area airport without the per-mile surcharge so many agencies charge.
Um I've not done it but wouldn't Uber be a easy way or the Super shuttle if price is too high with uber?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by grbauctions
Um I've not done it but wouldn't Uber be a easy way or the Super shuttle if price is too high with uber?
I live here, uber would make it a cinch, depending on day and time.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by kirker
I live there, too! Just FYI, the cheapest flight option to the area -- barring some sort of fare sale -- is AUS-LGB on jetBlue, which is usually around $200. On the down side, it's a *colossal* pain in the arse to travel between LGB and LAX. If you go this route, I'd strongly suggest finding a rental-car company that allows you to return the vehicle at a different area airport without the per-mile surcharge so many agencies charge.

Appreciate the tip! For my dates AA and UA are cheaper than JB so I'll roll with AA to keep stacking those EQM! I've actually thought about road tripping it as well and then driving up the PCH in my convertible.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by island82
Will do. Haven't decided where I am staying yet, I get in the night before around 2100hrs, so most likely will do hotel close by the airport
Your best bet is the Wyndham which is the only full service premium hotel nearby until the Holiday Inn and Hilton airport hotel sites get finished. There are several mini hotels in the area privately owned and have great reviews on TripAdvisor. 30 to 50 dollars instead of 100 dollar plus at Wyndham. Just depends on your budget especially since you'll only need the room for 5-6 hours before heading back to airport.

I was going to do a quick layover as well but decided to give myself two nights as Ill be arriving late at night too and staying in the city at the JW with late checkout and then at a mini hotel near the airport just to sleep before the AM flight. Ill need enough rest before flying UIO-MIA-JFK-LAX especially if the UIO-MIA-UIO legs are on last minute angle flat 767s which seems to be the trend.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: WP
Yea, Wyndham would be the best choice for proximity to airport with full service. Might link up with PrivatetoComercial and see the city a bit. Would like to have stayed for a few days but saving time off work for end of the year trips.

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Your best bet is the Wyndham which is the only full service premium hotel nearby until the Holiday Inn and Hilton airport hotel sites get finished. There are several mini hotels in the area privately owned and have great reviews on TripAdvisor. 30 to 50 dollars instead of 100 dollar plus at Wyndham. Just depends on your budget especially since you'll only need the room for 5-6 hours before heading back to airport.

I was going to do a quick layover as well but decided to give myself two nights as Ill be arriving late at night too and staying in the city at the JW with late checkout and then at a mini hotel near the airport just to sleep before the AM flight. Ill need enough rest before flying UIO-MIA-JFK-LAX especially if the UIO-MIA-UIO legs are on last minute angle flat 767s which seems to be the trend.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Thinking about doing this run over labor day weekend for a short vacation. Curious what your experiences with the airport are? Is it really an hour away from the city? Also how crowded is it usually?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thinking about doing this run over labor day weekend for a short vacation. Curious what your experiences with the airport are? Is it really an hour away from the city? Also how crowded is it usually?
Yes, it's really far from city center. The Airport isn't very busy.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Yes, it's really far from city center. The Airport isn't very busy.
Thanks for the reply

Was also curious on a hotel recommendation. Was pretty set on the Sheraton to build toward spg status, but it seems out of the way from the city center. Now I am reading SO MANY positive reviews about Hotel Plaza Grande that it is seriously making me consider it, even though it doesn't earn me any points or status. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
duplicate

Last edited by Econ1; Aug 23, 2016 at 4:38 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
For those that have done this run, what was your departure experience at UIO?

Im planning to fly out in Business on the 7am 767 flight to MIA and haven't flown out of this airport before. Im wondering how hectic this time of day is and how much it usually takes to get through security and immigration etc. I will only be traveling with carryon luggage, but I also don't know how crazy the check in will be either since Ill need to get a boarding pass. Im thinking I should arrive at 5am so that means leaving at like 4am if I stay in the city. Not fun but I don't want to fly the 757 just to be able to sleep in.
I had an early morning copa flight in j at that time and the airport was very empty in the morning. Took a cab from the Hilton and the ride was quick thanks to the new highway. I would avoid the Hilton though, worse staff of any hotel even for diamonds (the restaurant staff was actually belligerent, though that is a topic for a different thread).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by Econ1
I had an early morning copa flight in j at that time and the airport was very empty in the morning. Took a cab from the Hilton and the ride was quick thanks to the new highway. I would avoid the Hilton though, worse staff of any hotel even for diamonds (the restaurant staff was actually belligerent, though that is a topic for a different thread).
I am scheduled to make this trip next week with plans to stay a couple of nights over the weekend at the Hilton, would you care to elaborate or post on a Hilton thread if you don't want to venture too far OT? Would appreciate any info specific to the hotel and any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
I am scheduled to make this trip next week with plans to stay a couple of nights over the weekend at the Hilton, would you care to elaborate or post on a Hilton thread if you don't want to venture too far OT? Would appreciate any info specific to the hotel and any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

Of course, mods feel free to move it to the Hilton forum if it is off topic.

1). Ordered a cappuccino every morning in their restaurant, after the first morning the staff would refuse to make it. After push back they would eventually make it.

2). Dinner service in the restaurant was even worse. They were always understaffed and we would have to ask at least 4 times over the course of an hour to get drinks/silverware. This was when we could get their attention, usually they would walk past us and ignore us as we tried to ask them. Would also have to place the order for food multiple times as they always forgot to enter it. This was happening to every table around us, even those who spoke fluent Spanish.

One time, when the food came it looked as if someone had eaten part of it. I went to the front desk and asked them to talk to the restaurant since the waitstaff spoke very little English. They said I would not have to pay and the manager would be there to apologize. When I got back to the table the manager was not present and the staff refused to get him, all they did was harass me to sign the bill.

3). Unrelated to restaurant service, I would avoid arranging guides through the hotel. They arranged for a very expensive English speaking private guide and driver to Mindo who turned out to speak only basic English, as a result we were not able to see what we wanted as he had no idea what we were asking.

Food quality overall was also very bad, meats were questionable, breads were hard, dishes were cold. When we got to the Galapagos we were so happy to have decent quality food. Note, we ate at the hotel for breakfast, since it is free for diamonds, and dinner as were would be very tired after sightseeing and there are not full service restaurants near the hotel. Normally we eat at local restaurants when traveling.

We paid an upgrade fee to a suite, which was very nice. Hard product was fine, if you avoid the restaurants and hotel arranged guides you should be ok. I complained to the GM and Hilton corporate so hopefully they improved since then.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Econ1; Aug 23, 2016 at 8:49 pm
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Thanks for the info, Econ1. I'll be eating dinner elsewhere but will lower my expectations accordingly for the diamond breakfast.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:04 am

Just booked my trip

$838 routing LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX for a smidgen under 19k eqm

I even get to fly a 787 back to LA, will actually be my first time on a 787

Looking forward to walking on the equator
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Just booked my trip

$838 routing LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX for a smidgen under 19k eqm

I even get to fly a 787 back to LA, will actually be my first time on a 787

Looking forward to walking on the equator

I'm jealous! 787 is high on my list of aircraft to experience but when routing through NYC for extra EQM I didn't see any options with a 787.

I'm looking at doing this trip a second time (first leaves 9/19) and might just go for the 787/ORD routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.