Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
ORC and take the $500 voucher!

The actual question is whether you value more $500 or 6156 EQM.

I'd take the voucher and do a HKG run or something.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if I could handle LAX-HKG RT in Y
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joetraveler99
Just got a call from AA, asking me to change my outbound routing on Sept. 22 from LAX/JFK/MIA/UIO, to LAX/DFW/UIO, plus a $500 travel voucher. I declined, as I probably wouldn't make executive plat this year if I give up EQMS. This might've been a crazy move, in that the $500 voucher would effectively bring my travel price down to $336. Anyone have additional strategies to benefit from this oversold situation? Perhaps without giving up EQM's?
Wow I wish I was you and got that call! What I would do is take the $500 and keep all the domestic routing the same but add on flights between MIA-DFW. The issue is they have oversold the F cabins on the MIA-UIO-MIA route due to the aircraft downgrade. They will most definitely add on another domestic leg so they can move you to the DFW-UIO-DFW routing instead. You will actually get more EQMs in the end and $500 toward a future booking. So jealous.

LAX-JFK-MIA-DFW-UIO-DFW-MIA-JFK-LAX = 29,040 EQMs!!!!! for only $336!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

I don't think I'd arrive in MIA in time to make the DFW flight in time the same day.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I don't think I'd arrive in MIA in time to make the DFW flight in time the same day.
Of course you wouldn't. There would have to be overnights in the itinerary. Just keep in mind that if you choose not to change your flight and other people asked also don't change, you risk having to fly in Y. You'll still get ORC like the double EQMs but if there aren't enough seats in F and you are one of the unlucky ones, you'll have to deal with customer relations and get compensation like travel voucher and miles for being flown involuntarily in a downgraded cabin.

My flights in October are still oversold due to aircraft change so Im hoping they are still asking for volunteers at the gate so I can take the compensation.

In the end, if you don't have an allocated seat at this point in time, theres quite a risk of having to fly in Y and all you'll get out of it is more RDMs/vouchers as compensation but no more EQMs.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:53 pm

Looking at hotels for my stay 19th through 21st (morning flight) and welcome any advice.

Need some place with quality mattresses and I usually stay with the big names for this - anything from your Holiday Inn/ La Quinta up to Hilton/Marriott/Wyndham/Sharaton. No status with any chain.

Does it make sense to only spend one night at a decent place in the city and spend the second and final night by the airport? If so what is recommended?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Of course you wouldn't. There would have to be overnights in the itinerary. Just keep in mind that if you choose not to change your flight and other people asked also don't change, you risk having to fly in Y. You'll still get ORC like the double EQMs but if there aren't enough seats in F and you are one of the unlucky ones, you'll have to deal with customer relations and get compensation like travel voucher and miles for being flown involuntarily in a downgraded cabin.

My flights in October are still oversold due to aircraft change so Im hoping they are still asking for volunteers at the gate so I can take the compensation.

In the end, if you don't have an allocated seat at this point in time, theres quite a risk of having to fly in Y and all you'll get out of it is more RDMs/vouchers as compensation but no more EQMs.
I already have all my original seat assignments for all my flights (on different equipment, of course); does this prevent me from being bumped or downgraded?

What I should have done is asked for them to add a JFK-DFW instead of JFK-MIA, and taken the $500, that way I would've arrived only 1 hour later. I wasn't fast enough on my feet!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Just got a call from AA, asking me to change my outbound routing on Sept. 22 from LAX/JFK/MIA/UIO, to LAX/DFW/UIO, plus a $500 travel voucher. I declined, as I probably wouldn't make executive plat this year if I give up EQMS. This might've been a crazy move, in that the $500 voucher would effectively bring my travel price down to $336. Anyone have additional strategies to benefit from this oversold situation? Perhaps without giving up EQM's?
Take the voucher and then book something else...?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:41 pm

I already have all my original seat assignments for all my flights (on different equipment, of course); does this prevent me from being bumped or downgraded?

What I should have done is asked for them to add a JFK-DFW instead of JFK-MIA, and taken the $500, that way I would've arrived only 1 hour later. I wasn't fast enough on my feet!
Oh then if you do have seats then you have nothing to worry about. They may still be asking for volunteers at the gate and if your schedule allows, you could take them up on it and get a voucher.

Its hard to backtrack and negotiate since you can't get back in touch with the person that was soliciting the $500 to begin with. You could still call and explain what was offered to you and say that you'd be willing to amend the reservation if you could still be routed via JFK. I usually use excuses like Im traveling with others on that sector or meeting someone for a brief moment at that arrival airport etc. That way the agent sees that you have a valid necessity to be on those flights rather than them thinking you are only wanting EQMs.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Oh then if you do have seats then you have nothing to worry about. They may still be asking for volunteers at the gate and if your schedule allows, you could take them up on it and get a voucher.

Its hard to backtrack and negotiate since you can't get back in touch with the person that was soliciting the $500 to begin with. You could still call and explain what was offered to you and say that you'd be willing to amend the reservation if you could still be routed via JFK. I usually use excuses like Im traveling with others on that sector or meeting someone for a brief moment at that arrival airport etc. That way the agent sees that you have a valid necessity to be on those flights rather than them thinking you are only wanting EQMs.
I tried calling back with that strategy exactly; supervisor told me that it wasn't Reservations that called me originally so there was nothing they could do. I got the feeling that the deal was 'off the table' at this point anyway.

I'll stick with original itinerary and see what happens at the gate. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:46 am
Original Poster

I tried calling back with that strategy exactly; supervisor told me that it wasn't Reservations that called me originally so there was nothing they could do. I got the feeling that the deal was 'off the table' at this point anyway.

I'll stick with original itinerary and see what happens at the gate. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:01 am
Original Poster

I'm now in UIO and my 7am return flight to MIA this morning has bee delayed by 9 hrs, which obviously messes up all my connections MIA-JFK and JFK-LAX. Fortunately I'm still at the hotel in town, and I've managed to rebook onto at 2:13 PM flight today to Miami, in coach (!) and then a 7pm flight direct to LAX in standard recliner First. Bummer. Agent couldn't do anything for me in terms of downgrade flight credits (take it up with business office after flying is complete) or preserving the ORC. So as I was hopefully closing in on EXP, I unfortunately may instead wind up with fewer EQMs, and also a modest 'residual' refund for a downgrade to coach for the first leg. Anyone have any thoughts or strategies to help me deal with airline on this one?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: WP
I'm now in UIO and my 7am return flight to MIA this morning has bee delayed by 9 hrs, which obviously messes up all my connections MIA-JFK and JFK-LAX. Fortunately I'm still at the hotel in town, and I've managed to rebook onto at 2:13 PM flight today to Miami, in coach (!) and then a 7pm flight direct to LAX in standard recliner First. Bummer. Agent couldn't do anything for me in terms of downgrade flight credits (take it up with business office after flying is complete) or preserving the ORC. So as I was hopefully closing in on EXP, I unfortunately may instead wind up with fewer EQMs, and also a modest 'residual' refund for a downgrade to coach for the first leg. Anyone have any thoughts or strategies to help me deal with airline on this one?
9hrs delay? That's rough. Myself and 2 other FTs completed this run over the weekend, no delays just equipment changes.
Not sure where your home base is, perhaps call in again once you're in MIA and do a trip in vain to get original routing credit, and book a flight home from MIA. I dont believe AA's trip in vain can do both ORC and refund. I may be wrong.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:31 am

Oh so sorry to hear you are delayed and downgraded as a result. I have this run next weekend and sure hope it goes well but I just have to wait and see!!

You should call AA after you get back to LAX and request ORC. If you were to book a new MIA-LAX after going in vain to refund remaining flights, even a Y ticket to LAX would be expensive so close to leaving. You have a great chance of getting ORC. Technically though you aren't supposed to get ORC if you've voluntarily downgraded and chosen different routing to get back to your destination quickly. The airline is only liable to get you to your destination in the class of service you purchased. Therefore, under the "rules" you are supposed to wait until the next available flight in J and routing in premium cabins to get back to LAX and then get ORC if routed via different cities.

With that said, I highly doubt an AAdvantage dept agent wouldnt accommodate you given how much of a delay you encountered from UIO. And so you should be able to get the ORC for double miles and original routing.

Also, fill out a complaint with customer relations as a separate claim. They will most likely give you miles and a travel voucher for your delay and inconvenience in traveling in Y. Just don't expect a refund for having to travel in Y since you voluntarily accepted that in order to get the hell out of UIO! Considering how this fare is such a deal anyway, I'm betting the miles/voucher compensation will definitely make up for the downgrade.

I know it sucks having to fly in Y when paid for J and be delayed etc but seems to happen all the time lately with AA.

Report back with the results.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips. Not sure what ' flying in vain' means, though. Yes, I 'volunteered' to be downgraded to Y to get out of UIO today and get home to LAX at approximately the same time as my original flight through JFK. But had I stayed and waited for the next J flight and kept the original routing, then I would've had to spend a miserable night in Miami either in a hotel (who pays?) or on the floor of the AC, and arrived home the next day. Not a pleasant scenario. Sounds like I'll have chase down any residual refunds, ORC, or possible vouchers once I get back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.