Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Coralreef Lover
I have always argued that security checks should be done immediately upon entry into the airport
And increase several fold the number of people who need checking without improving security as all you do is move the threat to somewhere outdoors.

BTW do you have a good coat, I understand that Chicago can be cold at this time of the year.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
TSA blog just posted a statement about how they will have "behavior detection officers (BDO), explosive detection technology, canine teams and Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) teams, among other measures both seen and unseen" before the checkpoints.

And they're also patting themselves on the back about BDO's catching a guy in 2008 in Orlando with a suitcase full of potential bomb-making parts, conveniently ignoring the fact that that was not an active bomb, and the guy was trying to ship the stuff, not try and detonate it.

And, of course, they're ignoring the fact that the one of the reasons for the "crowded areas on the public side of the airport" is pointless ID checks and slow security processing in general!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:31 pm

I thought about a fourth more unlikely but possible scenario as to why we haven't seen more attacks other than some completely brain dead schemes. Maybe what AQ is doing is just keeping the focus on avation. Keep the DHS/TSA/CIA/FBI focused on airport threats while working on the next real big attack. In my mind I'm thinking nuclear strike or some such similar massive attack. Unlikely but it could be reality.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by maniac78
In my mind I'm thinking nuclear strike...
"You have been assimilated."
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
I thought about a fourth more unlikely but possible scenario as to why we haven't seen more attacks other than some completely brain dead schemes. Maybe what AQ is doing is just keeping the focus on avation. Keep the DHS/TSA/CIA/FBI focused on airport threats while working on the next real big attack. In my mind I'm thinking nuclear strike or some such similar massive attack. Unlikely but it could be reality.
how do you know it wasnt the work of an outside state funded intelligence agency like the Mossad, simply to cast blame on the 'obvious' perpetrator(s)?

I mean, lets keep things in check...someone says jump, and we jump. Thats not saying much for critical thinking. A day before Davos and this happens...one has to wonder...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I thought about a fourth more unlikely but possible scenario as to why we haven't seen more attacks other than some completely brain dead schemes. Maybe what AQ is doing is just keeping the focus on avation..
The "Al-Qaeda" hydra have been attacking a lot since 9/11, and aviation-related targets are a very, very small fraction of the objects at which they've been throwing whatever resources they have at their disposal. If they've been "keeping the focus on aviation" it really doesn't show except in governmental and select public/media reactions to what little they've done to aviation since 9/11.

Apparently when the targets are ethnically and/or economically more akin to "us", then "we" seem to value the risk to "our" lives/livelihood greater than "we" do when the lives/livelihood at risk are those of "the other" -- "the other" being poorer, innocent persons of a "more" "alien" appearance in the minds of the prejudiced. It's a trap people should best try to avoid.

In my mind I'm thinking nuclear strike or some such similar massive attack.
Perhaps if you are selected on the basis of the above "confession", you can be set up in a sting operation or made into a patsy for some troublemakers, governmental or otherwise. That's how these things have gone before, so that too is a trap people should best try to avoid.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:28 pm

I didn't say I care. I don't live in the US. I'm not a target. I am a target of the gropes and nudie scans and other crap thanks to my government caving to US demands. Don't get me wrong here I do mostly like the US still but boy it's getting hard to defend the place with friends and family.

As for confessing wth seriously? Confessing to what? Hating security screening as much as the next guy?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I have always argued that security checks should be done immediately upon entry into the airport as done in some other countries, notably in Asia, than the setup we have here. Here in the U.S. TSA has a system in place that rewards pilfering of luggage. If luggage is checked upfront then there is no purpose to go digging into luggage once it passes security in the immediate lobby area.

Maybe now TSA will agree (with people like me) that security should be done in the open where the passenger is with his luggage than in a remote area where agents or baggage handlers are tempted to pilfer from unlocked luggage.
No doubt some morons in the TSA will agree with you. It will not be long before some terrorist figures out the best place to inflict large numbers of casualties is at the queues for the security check points. So the TSA will screen people before the checkpoints, and they'll hit people waiting in the check-in lines. So they'll screen people coming into the terminal and they'll do pre-screening at the entry to the airport. And they'll hit the queues there and they'll implement pre-pre-screeing on the approach roads. And every time they do this, OBL will be ROTFLHFAO in his cave, so intensely he and his lieutenants will need fully 20 minutes before they can stop laughing long enough before they're able to look at each other and say, "can you believe they fell for that AGAIN??"

The TSA can call new checkpoints "increasing security". Al-Qaeda calls it "creating new and easier targets".
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have always argued that security checks should be done immediately upon entry into the airport as done in some other countries, notably in Asia, than the setup we have here. Here in the U.S. TSA has a system in place that rewards pilfering of luggage. If luggage is checked upfront then there is no purpose to go digging into luggage once it passes security in the immediate lobby area.

Maybe now TSA will agree (with people like me) that security should be done in the open where the passenger is with his luggage than in a remote area where agents or baggage handlers are tempted to pilfer from unlocked luggage.
What about people that just have to visit the ticket counter? There are times that I visit the airport just so I can ticket a held itinerary with VDB certs. I do not want to go through security that will grope me, and take away my regular sized water, when I have to intention of flying.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:10 pm
Suspended

I didn't say I care. I don't live in the US. I'm not a target. I am a target of the gropes and nudie scans and other crap thanks to my government caving to US demands. Don't get me wrong here I do mostly like the US still but boy it's getting hard to defend the place with friends and family.

As for confessing wth seriously? Confessing to what? Hating security screening as much as the next guy?
If anyone thought I was actually referring to you, my apologies to you and them. Rather than referring to you, I was conveniently referencing what you posted so as to further demonstrate how governments have been functioning for some years with regard to online postings that are supposed "confessions" of intent in order to do the kinds of things I mentioned in the post above yours -- that being, amongst other things, sting operations and goading people into all sorts of other despicable schemes.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
What about people that just have to visit the ticket counter? There are times that I visit the airport just so I can ticket a held itinerary with VDB certs. I do not want to go through security that will grope me, and take away my regular sized water, when I have to intention of flying.
For ticketing-related reasons, some countries have ticket counters/offices outside facing outside of the terminal building in which passengers check in with the airline.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:06 am
Suspended

Russian government arrests 15-year-old boy and 16-year-old girl who are the siblings of Russian-government-identified 20-year-old bomber identified as perpetrating this act of terrorism at DME. The Russian government (inclusive of its local stooges) claims that his teenage siblings knew what their adult brother was going to do but did not inform their parents of the plot.

A respected human rights activist from Ingushetia condemned the arrest of the underage suspects. "This is absurd and savage — to arrest people only because they are relatives of a suspected terrorist," Magomed Khazbiyev told the daily Kommersant.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209/...irport_bombing

Not as savage but no less absurd is the DHS/TSA blacklists applied to even domestic passengers for who knows what connection.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Russian government arrests 15-year-old boy and 16-year-old girl who are the siblings of Russian-government-identified 20-year-old bomber identified as perpetrating this act of terrorism at DME. The Russian government (inclusive of its local stooges) claims that his teenage siblings knew what their adult brother was going to do but did not inform their parents of the plot.
This is really pathetic.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by battensea
This is really pathetic.
What's also really pathetic is the Russian government's intent do for Russian airports and flights all that DHS/TSA suggests. Copying all that the TSA has done for US airports and flights is a recipe -- at best -- for a lot more waste.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.