Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alanR
Based on their main principle of "planning to fight the last war" no doubt the TSA will require anyone entering arrivals to go through security checks
My guess is a rapid roll out of the passive MMW devices or the new experimental lasers detection units. By rapid I mean in a year or so. It is the TSA. In the meantime, look for BDO's in the public areas and random searches of both luggage and persons. The dogs may start to get a workout as well.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Helen_J
In US airports pretty much anyone can walk into baggage claim. Not sure how that works in Moscow.

A close friend is transiting through Moscow on a return trip to the US in about ten days. I wonder how this attack will affect that trip.
Not in international terminals. All areas are secured until you leave immigration AND customs, which is after baggage claim for international flights.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: CO PLAT, DL, NW, AA, BA
Unsterile Airports

The bombing today in the baggage hall in Moscow raises an issue that not only TSA misses (and probably wouldn't know where to start) but local police depts and airport operators need to look at - how to secure the 'unsterile' parts of airports - check-in lines, security lines and now baggage claim - all open to the public and now, as the penny lately drops, terrorists. Remember the car bomb in Glasgow, anyone? I've seen heavily armed police and dogs patrolling check-in lines in UK & European airports and we all know (or have heard about) the perimiter security at Tel Aviv. Perhaps we need to start securing the unsecure parts of airports, but, please God, let it be somebody other than TSA that does it...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LessO2
What it should do is question those long, snaking lines at places like Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando the TSA keeps passengers in.

It will only get worse when the lines grow when they make MMW and Backscatter primary.

Those are the questions that the TSA will sweep under the rug should be asked by the media.
I've asked myself this question before.

What happens if an explosion like that happens in the screening area? What will TSA do?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:56 am

suicide bombers

Originally Posted by fifer1851
I've seen heavily armed police and dogs patrolling check-in lines in UK & European airports and we all know (or have heard about) the perimiter security at Tel Aviv. Perhaps we need to start securing the unsecure parts of airports, but, please God, let it be somebody other than TSA that does it...
You can have all the dogs and heavily armed police that you'd like, but how do you protect against a suicide bomber who is determined to kill himself or herself anyway?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houston.Business

What happens if an explosion like that happens in the screening area? What will TSA do?
A) Say the agency needs to be expanded greatly to cover the perimeters.
B) Nothing, as there's no PR gain.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting, given how the TSA operates, in setting up things when something already happened.

Originally Posted by saulblum
You can have all the dogs and heavily armed police that you'd like, but how do you protect against a suicide bomber who is determined to kill himself or herself anyway?
Very good question. But I hope there are some news directors around the country that will take pictures of long lines the TSA creates and ask some hard questions to the TSA.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by Good Guy
It's being reported as a suicide bomber. I'm guessing he just walked in.
As the article in the NY Times reminds, suicide bombers identified in a number of fairly recent attacks in Russia have all been women.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:04 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by saulblum
Only way I can see is to stay away from crowds. Anywhere.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by battensea
As the article in the NY Times reminds, suicide bombers identified in a number of fairly recent attacks in Russia have all been women.
Good point. Edited post.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Helen_J
In US airports pretty much anyone can walk into baggage claim. Not sure how that works in Moscow.

A close friend is transiting through Moscow on a return trip to the US in about ten days. I wonder how this attack will affect that trip.
The blast detonated just where arriving international passengers emerge from customs. To their left was a crowd control rope. Ahead was the Cafe Asia, where friends and relatives wait to greet passengers, and, as at most airports, it is outside the secure zone.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...012401872.html

It was apparently beyond baggage claim, past customs, in the area where friends and family and drivers greet arriving passengers.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
According to some reports police had already been searching for a team of bombers but they managed to walk in to the airport.

BBC quoted the Russian state news agency:
Ria news agency reports security services were warned in advance about a possible terrorist act: "Personnel were searching for three suspects but they managed to get on to the territory of the airport unhindered, watch the explosion carried out by their accomplice and leave the airport."
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would say the most dangerous part of flying in the US is waiting in any line for the airline, TSA or other areas. I'm most familiar with DFW, FLL and LAS and in each case baggage claim is outside of the secure area so anyone can insert a device.

Waiting in long airline ticket lines or waiting in some rather long lines for TSA (LAS) provides an opportunity for something to happen.
Agreed. Low-hanging fruit.
We've discussed this before.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15461321-post36.html
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum

Of course you'll have to be screened to get into the screening area!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:14 am

From the BBC

1645: The explosion is believed to have happened in the baggage collection area, and aviation expert Philip Baum says such an incident was predictable, adding: "We spend so much time looking at passenger security checks before they get on board, that unfortunately some other areas are exposed." (Seems like this should have been stopped before the guy got to the airport).

1627: Ria news agency reports security services were warned in advance about a possible terrorist act: "Personnel were searching for three suspects but they managed to get on to the territory of the airport unhindered, watch the explosion carried out by their accomplice and leave the airport." (I thought I read it was a male and 2 male accomplices).

1554:Kostik e-mails BBC Russian : I am not surprised it happens. Police are more concerned about attacking opposition demonstrations in Moscow than security of its people.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something like this could never happen anywhere other than an aircraft in flight. That's a core, unshakable TSA belief. Anything else too clearly points to the the fact that TSA is utterly incapable of "protecting" anyone, anywhere. The end result would be the US adopting a spine and TSA being rolled back.

TSA, literally, causes more deaths than it prevents by shifting passengers to less safe modes of transport and minimally adding to the radiation burden born by those who still travel by air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.