Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Don't worry, the TSA is protecting us.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by maniac78
Could be either of these four possibilities :

1) It's hard to recruit and train suicide bombers and so there is a very limited supply
2) It's hard to get terrorists into the US (doubtful)
3) The terrorists are targeting other countries and have given up on attacking the US (again not likely)
4) The terrorists are stupid and are easily caught. I don't think this is the case though since so few have been caught.

I think #1 is the most likely scenario. There have not been many terrorists caught in the act of planning an attack. It could be number 2 as well though I guess but you would think they could smuggle people in through the southern border.
2 & 3 assume that the US is the only target.

I suspect that the main reason is that the terrorists DON'T need to stage an actual attack often - all they need is some loser on a cockamamy scheme that has little chance of success and sit back with the popcorn watching the West go to pieces.

Then again if they can just post a bomb, why bother with bombers
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by saulblum
You can have all the dogs and heavily armed police that you'd like, but how do you protect against a suicide bomber who is determined to kill himself or herself anyway?
Realistically there is little chance of doing so once the attack is in train. Then the only way is to interdict the bomber before reaching the target area and that's difficult. There are the 11 indicators supposedly used by Israel, but what works in a Mediterranean climate is not applicable to winter in Moscow. Or Chicago, New York etc.

The real protection comes from intelligence before the act, as was apparently the case in this attack but came too late. Armed police might dispatch the bomber at the airport (or wherever) but they are equally likely to blow away some innocent party as has happened in the UK.

Drastic measures (you listening DHS?) at airports would simply move the target area, possibly to an even easier location. I think an attack of this kind is unlikely in the US but should it happen then it is simply something that must be dealt with and life will go on as it does in other countries. The US would almost certainly go into panic mode though. Again.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by maniac78
Could be either of these four possibilities :

1) It's hard to recruit and train suicide bombers and so there is a very limited supply
2) It's hard to get terrorists into the US (doubtful)
3) The terrorists are targeting other countries and have given up on attacking the US (again not likely)
4) The terrorists are stupid and are easily caught. I don't think this is the case though since so few have been caught.

I think #1 is the most likely scenario. There have not been many terrorists caught in the act of planning an attack. It could be number 2 as well though I guess but you would think they could smuggle people in through the southern border.
5) It's hard to control potential suicide bombers -- If you give someone enough resources to operate undetected in the US, their running away and blending in is a viable option. That will continue to be an issue as long as the US is perceived as "the land of opportunity". Conversely, if you're in a place of severely limited opportunities, terrorism might be a viable career choice.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tev9999
The safety and security of the American people is our highest priority
Yeah, right....
Number of uniform changes since the TSA started: 3
Number of changes to x-ray machines since the TSA started: 0
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What an awful tragedy.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
I wonder exactly where "inside the arrivals hall" is. The public waiting area or the airside arrivals hall. If the latter, LOTS of questions come up.
It sounds like the public land-side area arrivals hall, where the public awaits arriving visitors.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Then the only way is to interdict the bomber before reaching the target area and that's difficult. Drastic measures (you listening DHS?) at airports would simply move the target area, possibly to an even easier location. The US would almost certainly go into panic mode though. Again.
Now, what shall we do with our favorite ______ airport hotel shuttle and/or _____ rental car courtesy shuttle, or that mini-bus trip from/to the satellite or long-term/off-airport parking lot ? Do we set up perimeter screening at the remote boarding location, at the relocated but ?? centralized checkpoint? Or, do it again at the secondaries inside the terminal building/at the curb?

There aren't no easy/simple, all-inclusive solution to the evolving problems of terrorism around the globe - but TSA would like us to believe otherwise with its theatrical production, and a new week had just begun ....

And, I will not be one tiny bit surprise if the "bad gals & guys" will come up with a remotely operated device for its next/upcoming attack, successful or not - if IED worked in places like Iraq, they can and will eventually adopt it elsewhere.

But, alas - to live in fear is losing the war with the terrorist - and, our own TSA, is for many, doing a pretty job at it
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbagdon
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...ing.cnn?hpt=T1

Right around 3:45. "Expect the barrier to get further and further back. Not just departures, the airport door. Then the roadway leading to the terminal, then down the road from the airport."
Sounds like India. That hasn't put a stop to attacks. There used to seem to be a greater ability to accept that terrorism is an awful, criminal nuisance and is powerless as long as over-reacting to it does not occur, but that era is gone there too.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Did you mean "willing to sacrifice for the perception of safety"?

BTW, the media second-guessing has started. Washington Post has a poll up here asking if there should be security in baggage claim areas.

When I looked, 52% said yes..... politicians have claimed a "mandate" with lower numbers than that.... baaaah, baaaah
At least that would help with stopping thefts of baggage done by non-passengers who are not: airport operating company employees/retained parties; airport concession employees; nor government employees (such as TSA or CBP screeners).

Originally Posted by battensea
People waiting to pick up passengers in India don't have to contend with sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

Besides, the crowds waiting outside the terminals for arriving passengers are also ridiculously huge. Yet another opportunity for mayhem.
While your second paragraph is true, your first paragraph has plenty of exceptions. A couple of the airports I fly into and out of in India do get snow or otherwise hit freezing temperatures, including sub-zero temps.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Not in international terminals. All areas are secured until you leave immigration AND customs, which is after baggage claim for international flights.
The post-customs areas in the US can be a crowded mess too at times, but that's less often the case than with the target the TSA creates by making the security screening lines much worse and slower than they need to maintain the same failing ways or even improve their results.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 28, 2011 at 7:41 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
There you go! We needs more protections with the passengers & crew, too. That mean they will have keep terrors out of airports or out of the country. They won't happening again in the future another attacks. I do not likes what happened in DME by last night. I was very extremely disappointment the news to hear. It wasn't no one who responsible for suicide attacks at baggage claims areas.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It sounds like the public land-side area arrivals hall, where the public awaits arriving visitors.
That seems right; I saw references to it being in an area near VIP lounges and the Asia Cafe.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Both the shoe and underwear bombers would have had a better chance of success if they had tried to detonate their bombs in the lav where passengers could not react so quickly.
Yes, which raises the idea that they wanted to be caught, not actually bring down the plane. Had the bombs gone off, the 300 pax on each plane would be the primary casualties. But by failing, the whole world is the casualty.

Suppose the shoe bomb went off mid Atlantic, where the water is so deep little wreckage would be found, like with the Airbus that went down. We would not know it was a Shoe Bomb that caused the crash, thus there would be no Shoe Carnival for the last 9 years and you would keep your shoes on through the nudeoscope. How many million man hours have been wasted looking at shoes? And it appears to be forever.

If the underwear had exploded over Canada (NOT Detroit) and that part of the plane consumed by a post crash fire, evidence of a bomb could probably be found but the fact it was hidden in underwear would probably not be known. Thus millions of pax would not have their junk played with by TSOs in enhanced patdown assaults. This too seems to be another forever thing.

The finding of the shoe and underwear bombs caused more economic and social damage due to the knee jerk overreaction by TSA. Most likely the shoe bomb might have been real, but AQ must have noticed the economic cost to the world of the failed bomb attempt and realized they do not even need to make bombs that work, just close enough to look real and then get caught on purpose. TSA overreaction will cause more damage than the limited direct bomb damage.

Plus AQ does not even need to recruit suicide bombers, just pretend bombers willing to spend life in a Club Fed cell. Three meals a day, a warm bed, government medical care for life, and lots of time to read your holy book and pray might sound like a major lifestyle improvement to a homeless street person in a third world country with a little jihad spirit.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I for one am extremely concerned about what this means for us - the 99.99999999% of peaceful Americans who are already being harassed and abused at airports.

Of course this is a terrible tragedy - but as I've said before, the world is a dangerous place and we must recognize that we live in an inherently risky world. I am not advocating anarchy or abolishment of security. But I am extremely concerned that ths event will result in yet another knee-jerk, completely inappropriate response by DHS/TSA. I fear that this event will be used as an excuse to further terrify us into submission and justfy the growth of the agency and the funding of even more ridiculous and invasive screening tactics and humiliating rituals in the name of security.

I can only imagine the kinds of talks Pissy and Nappy are in right now. I hope I am not being alarmist but I truly am very very concerned.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Gel-pack
5) It's hard to control potential suicide bombers -- If you give someone enough resources to operate undetected in the US, their running away and blending in is a viable option. That will continue to be an issue as long as the US is perceived as "the land of opportunity". Conversely, if you're in a place of severely limited opportunities, terrorism might be a viable career choice.
I agree with this and feel that this is the main reason why we haven't seen many suicide bombers in the US.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I agree with this and feel that this is the main reason why we haven't seen many suicide bombers in the US.
That's just a dream rooted in the chauvinistic myth of American exceptionalism.

The poorest, least educated persons with the fewest opportunities are nowhere near as often used as suicidal terrorists in far-off lands or even in their own countries as those who are educated enough to have ("self-"/"media-"/"education-")raised expectations that go unfulfilled. It has nothing to do with the US being "the land of opportunity" co-opting people into bubbly consumerism.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:23 pm

I would go for #1 with a side of #4. Both the shoe and underwear bombers would have had a better chance of success if they had tried to detonate their bombs in the lav where passengers could not react so quickly. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out, so my conclusion is that the typical suicide bomber is not of the highest level of intelligence or mental stability that would help assure success for their mission.
Or the job has been done. Why would the terrorists need or want to do another attack?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.