FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1175964-suicide-bomber-moscow-airport-1-24-11-a.html)

Good Guy Jan 24, 2011 7:19 am

Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11

Just heard a quick blurb on the local news. Sounds like a suicide bomber blew him/herself up in the baggage claim area. Anybody else have more details?

Not a lot of details.

alanR Jan 24, 2011 7:22 am

At least 10 people are believed to have been killed in an explosion at Moscow's Domodedovo airport.Domodedovo is the busiest of the Russian capital's three commercial airports.

Russian news agencies cited unspecified sources as saying the blast occurred inside the airport's international arrivals hall.

Dozens of people are thought to have been injured.
Sky News

flyinbob Jan 24, 2011 7:36 am

I wonder exactly where "inside the arrivals hall" is. The public waiting area or the airside arrivals hall. If the latter, LOTS of questions come up.

Good Guy Jan 24, 2011 7:42 am

Early local reports suggested the blast may have hit the baggage reclaim area of the international arrivals hall.
Source

Houston.Business Jan 24, 2011 7:52 am

Explosion in Moscow Airport Luggage Area

At least 10 killed in apparent sucide bombing.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...scow-airport/1

It will be interesting to see what TSA comes up with now.

eheinz Jan 24, 2011 8:00 am

Now reported by RIA Novosti to be 31 dead, 130 wounded, with lots of smoke still (suggesting the final toll could rise). Very sad.

Good Guy Jan 24, 2011 8:15 am

Being discussed here

Boggie Dog Jan 24, 2011 8:30 am

I would say the most dangerous part of flying in the US is waiting in any line for the airline, TSA or other areas. I'm most familiar with DFW, FLL and LAS and in each case baggage claim is outside of the secure area so anyone can insert a device.

Waiting in long airline ticket lines or waiting in some rather long lines for TSA (LAS) provides an opportunity for something to happen.

Houston.Business Jan 24, 2011 8:38 am

The next step is to find out where the luggage came from, and find out who dropped the ball in security.

Good Guy Jan 24, 2011 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15722834)
I would say the most dangerous part of flying in the US is waiting in any line for the airline, TSA or other areas. I'm most familiar with DFW, FLL and LAS and in each case baggage claim is outside of the secure area so anyone can insert a device.

Waiting in long airline ticket lines or waiting in some rather long lines for TSA (LAS) provides an opportunity for something to happen.

Agree. Also, all that glass in front at IAD is just screaming for something bad (VBIED) to happen.

Good Guy Jan 24, 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Houston.Business (Post 15722883)
The next step is to find out where the luggage came from, and find out who dropped the ball in security.

It's being reported as a suicide bomber. I'm guessing he/she just walked in.

Helen_J Jan 24, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Good Guy (Post 15722896)
It's being reported as a suicide bomber. I'm guessing he just walked in.

In US airports pretty much anyone can walk into baggage claim. Not sure how that works in Moscow.

A close friend is transiting through Moscow on a return trip to the US in about ten days. I wonder how this attack will affect that trip.

coachrowsey Jan 24, 2011 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15722834)

+ another & any one who thinks it can't happen here is a fool. But TSA would rather focus on dangerous water:rolleyes:

alanR Jan 24, 2011 9:26 am

Based on their main principle of "planning to fight the last war" no doubt the TSA will require anyone entering arrivals to go through security checks

LessO2 Jan 24, 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by alanR (Post 15723203)
Based on their main principle of "planning to fight the last war" no doubt the TSA will require anyone entering arrivals to go through security checks

What it should do is question those long, snaking lines at places like Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando the TSA keeps passengers in.

It will only get worse when the lines grow when they make MMW and Backscatter primary.

Those are the questions that the TSA will sweep under the rug should be asked by the media.