Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11

Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Suicide Bomber at Moscow Airport-1/24/11

Just heard a quick blurb on the local news. Sounds like a suicide bomber blew him/herself up in the baggage claim area. Anybody else have more details?

Not a lot of details.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:22 am

At least 10 people are believed to have been killed in an explosion at Moscow's Domodedovo airport.Domodedovo is the busiest of the Russian capital's three commercial airports.

Russian news agencies cited unspecified sources as saying the blast occurred inside the airport's international arrivals hall.

Dozens of people are thought to have been injured.
Sky News
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I wonder exactly where "inside the arrivals hall" is. The public waiting area or the airside arrivals hall. If the latter, LOTS of questions come up.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Early local reports suggested the blast may have hit the baggage reclaim area of the international arrivals hall.
Source
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Explosion in Moscow Airport Luggage Area

At least 10 killed in apparent sucide bombing.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...scow-airport/1

It will be interesting to see what TSA comes up with now.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Now reported by RIA Novosti to be 31 dead, 130 wounded, with lots of smoke still (suggesting the final toll could rise). Very sad.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Being discussed here
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say the most dangerous part of flying in the US is waiting in any line for the airline, TSA or other areas. I'm most familiar with DFW, FLL and LAS and in each case baggage claim is outside of the secure area so anyone can insert a device.

Waiting in long airline ticket lines or waiting in some rather long lines for TSA (LAS) provides an opportunity for something to happen.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
The next step is to find out where the luggage came from, and find out who dropped the ball in security.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would say the most dangerous part of flying in the US is waiting in any line for the airline, TSA or other areas. I'm most familiar with DFW, FLL and LAS and in each case baggage claim is outside of the secure area so anyone can insert a device.

Waiting in long airline ticket lines or waiting in some rather long lines for TSA (LAS) provides an opportunity for something to happen.
Agree. Also, all that glass in front at IAD is just screaming for something bad (VBIED) to happen.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Houston.Business
The next step is to find out where the luggage came from, and find out who dropped the ball in security.
It's being reported as a suicide bomber. I'm guessing he/she just walked in.

Last edited by Good Guy; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Good Guy
It's being reported as a suicide bomber. I'm guessing he just walked in.
In US airports pretty much anyone can walk into baggage claim. Not sure how that works in Moscow.

A close friend is transiting through Moscow on a return trip to the US in about ten days. I wonder how this attack will affect that trip.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

+ another & any one who thinks it can't happen here is a fool. But TSA would rather focus on dangerous water
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:26 am

Based on their main principle of "planning to fight the last war" no doubt the TSA will require anyone entering arrivals to go through security checks
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
Based on their main principle of "planning to fight the last war" no doubt the TSA will require anyone entering arrivals to go through security checks
What it should do is question those long, snaking lines at places like Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando the TSA keeps passengers in.

It will only get worse when the lines grow when they make MMW and Backscatter primary.

Those are the questions that the TSA will sweep under the rug should be asked by the media.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.