Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
The web sites should include a link to this video:
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:47 pm

These sites appear to have text missing after the About bar. It starts mid-sentence.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Links should include the ACLU: Airport and Watch List Harassment: Tell Your Story
Added.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
May we link to your sites in our communications with others?

Yes, absolutely.

Originally Posted by rove312
These sites appear to have text missing after the About bar. It starts mid-sentence.
Which browser are you using? I've viewed in Firefox, IE, Safari and Chrome and the "About" text reads:

"This site exists to educate the public regarding the health, privacy and property risks associated with Whole Body Imaging / Advanced Imaging Technology. It is provided free of charge, and we ask no recompense for these efforts. Our only goal is to allow the public to make educated, informed choices about their health and privacy."
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I am having no problem viewing the 'About' section...
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mozgytog
I got a little bored today because it's Saturday, so I set up a couple of domains and put up a bit of the content generated here. All I did was give it some dress-up, include the PDFs that newhaven made, and stick it on the web.

http://dontscan.us
http://dontscan.me

Currently should be working in a lot of places, but DNS might not have propagated everywhere just yet.

Also on the way (but not updated in DNS yet):

http://airportbodyscan.org

And the 100$ is still available for publicity, education or legal defense.
Great sites!

Something that occurred to me: we don't want to lead people to believe that they have to use the words "opt out" - that they can say "no" or "no, thank you."
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
are you sure the Vogons - I mean screeners know that?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by doober
Great sites!

Something that occurred to me: we don't want to lead people to believe that they have to use the words "opt out" - that they can say "no" or "no, thank you."
Some of them will insist that unless you actually say 'I opt out.' that you have to go into the WBI. Rather than encourage people to get into protracted arguments, I included this text:

Originally Posted by dontscan.me
You will need to be firm, and often will not be allowed to opt out unless you state in exactly these words "I opt out."
Because I agree that the TSA should not dictate the exact words that have to be used to opt out, I added the following text:
Originally Posted by dontscan.me
While you should be able to opt out using your own terms, such as requesting a pat down instead, or stating that you will not be photographed nude, remember that not all screeners will be respectful of your decision. They may continue to insist until you say "I opt out." In these cases it is up to the individual traveler to determine whether to stand firm or to use the TSA's preferred wording.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:15 am
Suspended

Some of them will insist that unless you actually say 'I opt out.' that you have to go into the WBI. Rather than encourage people to get into protracted arguments, I included this text:

Because I agree that the TSA should not dictate the exact words that have to be used to opt out, I added the following text:
Sounds good to me!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
mozgytog -

Your link does not work:

TSA Installs Body Scanners at San Diego Airport

http://www.sdexaminer.com/news/tsa-i...ional-airport/
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Wimpie
mozgytog -

Your link does not work:

TSA Installs Body Scanners at San Diego Airport

http://www.sdexaminer.com/news/tsa-i...ional-airport/
Fixed link.

Still trying to figure out why in my IE and Safari the articles are where they're supposed to be, on the right under the John Wild photo, but on Firefox it's showing up at the bottom. Anyone else seeing that?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Still trying to figure out why in my IE and Safari the articles are where they're supposed to be, on the right under the John Wild photo, but on Firefox it's showing up at the bottom. Anyone else seeing that?
That is correct, but it looks OK either way. I wouldn't waste any time over it.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:40 pm

I'm using IE; I can't immediately tell which version. Comparing it to Chrome, instead of the About text being at the bottom of the page, it's covering up the section with the heading "Advanced Imaging Technology is a strip search." What first appears after the About section is the line "original. Do you consider this image family friendly?"
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
Instead of the About text being at the bottom of the page, it's covering up the section with the heading "Advanced Imaging Technology is a strip search." What first appears after the About section is the line "original. Do you consider this image family friendly?"
That's what I'm seeing, too. I'm also using IE.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:27 pm

I went thru SAN twice last week. Was told by the TSA person checking docs both times that I would be so lucky, because I would be using the new scanner. First of all, I don't know how they determine who goes thru the scanner or not. Mrs. EX did not have to go the first time, the second time they pulled her over. I told the screener that I refused to go thru the machine, and she screamed as loud as she could "need male ???? ( don't remember the name she used ), this guy is opting out.". Of course they double and triple checked everything, wiped my watch and checked for explosives, all the crazy things they do, hand searched my computer bag, a package of chopsticks went thru three pair of hands just to make sure....So to let you know, it takes much longer if you refuse the scanner, but well worth it, me thinks. Mrs. EX is an avid Japanese blogger and she went thru he system in order to be able to report about it.
By the way, I am in my late sixties, Mrs. EX in her early sixties and it continues to surprise me, how many times I see seniors, sometimes walking with the help of canes, being subjected to "extra care" by TSA, when younger and much more suspicious looking folk get to go right thru inspection. A couple of weeks ago we witnessed an old, old lady in a wheelchair, who attracted the attention of 5 screeners!!!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Fixed link.

Yes, that's where I'm seeing it.

Back to "opt out" language - not asking you to change it again but just making a statement that it's very sad that TSA is now telling us what words we must use in order not to go through the scanner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.