Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
New poll - please contribute

http://polldaddy.com/poll/3715926/

Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I suggest we not worry about it. Most filters based their decisions on content, not on URL's. If the site is going to be blocked, it will be blocked regardless.

I have no trouble accessing it on our corporate intranet.
I'd love to know where you work.

A while back I had a job where I had to special-order books. One order was for a title published by High Times Press (as in the magazine). The content filter on the corporate server blocked the High Times Press site on the basis of the URL alone (a fact verified by testing other, innocuous sites with the word 'high' in the URL).

And the filtering software in use at my present employer, a package called SurfControl, blocks on both URL *and* content. Which means that a URL with the word "nude" in it would be blocked. (I have no intention of testing this, as I like my job and don't want to lose it anytime soon.)

That said, if there were some mirror URLs, I'd advise against using any domain name with "TSA" in it - the second you do that, you invite the government to come calling, on the grounds that the URL might 'confuse travelers into thinking it's an official TSA site'.

I have an additional suggestion, which came to me while reading the "TSA under fire" blog post. I was thinking it might be useful to make available a template for business card-sized "I OPT OUT" documents which can be handed to TSOs to avoid any miscommunication.

The front side would have "I OPT OUT" in large, bold type, followed by a statement indicating that, "per TSA policy, I must have possession or line-of-sight with my belongings at all times. Further, I consent only to a standard, back-of-hand patdown, WTMD scan & ETD, and that any more invasive procedures (including, but not limited to, groping of genitalia) performed without alarm or probable cause will result in the immediate summons of a local LEO." The reverse side would provide the same text in Spanish (and maybe French, for those traveling in Canada).

Do you think it's worth it, or would it just make things worse? (I really shouldn't come up with these sorts of things at 2 in the morning.)

Last edited by Critic; Sep 4, 2010 at 12:17 am Reason: Additional suggestion
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
perhaps the next prong of the campaign needs to be a letter writing blitz to the airlines themselves, asking what objections are they raising to this intrusion (and where are they raising it) and just how much is this adding to delay of timetables, not to mention the potential loss of revenue from passengers just giving up flying. If there are enough letters to enough carriers - they will take notice.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
If there are enough letters to enough carriers - they will take notice.
Enough ?

Millions perhaps, but a few hundred (if that) won't make a scrap of difference.
Petitioning the airlines is even more futile than petitioning your congressional reps. The airlines don't care; quite the opposite - glad the TSA has relieved them of all security responsibility.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
I'd love to know where you work.

A while back I had a job where I had to special-order books. One order was for a title published by High Times Press (as in the magazine). The content filter on the corporate server blocked the High Times Press site on the basis of the URL alone (a fact verified by testing other, innocuous sites with the word 'high' in the URL).

And the filtering software in use at my present employer, a package called SurfControl, blocks on both URL *and* content. Which means that a URL with the word "nude" in it would be blocked. (I have no intention of testing this, as I like my job and don't want to lose it anytime soon.)
+1

I don't know the details of how our corporate server blocks URLs and websites, but I can tell you that it's category based.

A few years ago I was calling on the Florida Baptist Convention. Their website had a list of affiliated churches and I spent some time making notes, etc. The next time I attempted to go back to the website, I get a screen that tells me that the website was blocked, falling under the Occult category! A phone call to IT said they couldn't release just the one URL, as it was the entire category that was blocked, but the person I spoke with was kind enough to copy and paste the info I needed and email it to me.

When the travel aspect of my job picked up last year and I started spending many nights on the road in cities where I was unfamiliar with the channel line ups on tv, I quickly learned that the TV Guide website, was listed under the Entertainment Category and also filtered.

Now if I want to go to a "scandalous" website like TV Guide.com, I just don't log onto our network. But, even off network, I wouldn't take the chance of entering a url with nude in it.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Enough ?

Petitioning the airlines is even more futile than petitioning your congressional reps. The airlines don't care; quite the opposite - glad the TSA has relieved them of all security responsibility.
not so sure, if enough of their premium frequent flyers start making a noise, I would imagine they may start to take some notice.

but my suggestion was one of an element, not the totality.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Enough ?

The way to petition the airlines is to quit flying, which is in the works for us. It will take a while for us to get there, but after December our only flights will be to visit my mother, who's been ill for a number of years. We've already canceled all other discretionary trips with no prepaid expenses (love WN!).

Originally Posted by Critic
The front side would have "I OPT OUT" in large, bold type, followed by a statement indicating that, "per TSA policy, I must have possession or line-of-sight with my belongings at all times. Further, I consent only to a standard, back-of-hand patdown, WTMD scan & ETD, and that any more invasive procedures (including, but not limited to, groping of genitalia) performed without alarm or probable cause will result in the immediate summons of a local LEO." The reverse side would provide the same text in Spanish (and maybe French, for those traveling in Canada).

Do you think it's worth it, or would it just make things worse? (I really shouldn't come up with these sorts of things at 2 in the morning.)
I think that having to say "I Opt Out" is stupid in itself, just another way for TSA to harass us. It reminds me of an incredibly stupid cafeteria worker (one of my co-workers described her as the stupidest woman he's ever met) who wouldn't ring up my Caribou until I used the keywords "gourmet coffee".

One way for us to push back is to use other verbiage for declining to enter the Nude-O-Scope. If it wastes more time in the checkpoint, that in itself is a way of pushing back.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 5, 2010 at 1:19 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Hi All-

I am currently on-board a UA p.s., working on a new design of the website. Unfortunately, I can't publish over the gogo network, so I'll publish the placeholder when I get to JFK.

Do we have the newest version of the brochure?

In addition, I was able to add the Facebook 'like' button, and will work on adding something for Twitter. Perhaps we should create a twitter and facebook page?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Wimpie
93.33 % vote no...

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The way to petition the airlines is to quit flying, which is in the works for us. It will take a while for us to get there, but after December our only flights will be to visit my mother, who's been ill for a number of years. We've already canceled all other discretionary trips with no prepaid expenses (love WN!).
I haven't flown since Nov. 2007.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by IslandBased
I haven't flown since Nov. 2007.
I'd say you're off to a VERY good start. Did you communicate your reasons for not flying to your favorite airlines? A letter to remind them might help.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:24 pm

I got a little bored today because it's Saturday, so I set up a couple of domains and put up a bit of the content generated here. All I did was give it some dress-up, include the PDFs that newhaven made, and stick it on the web.

http://dontscan.us
http://dontscan.me

Currently should be working in a lot of places, but DNS might not have propagated everywhere just yet.

Also on the way (but not updated in DNS yet):

http://airportbodyscan.org

And the 100$ is still available for publicity, education or legal defense.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
perhaps the next prong of the campaign needs to be a letter writing blitz to the airlines themselves, asking what objections are they raising to this intrusion (and where are they raising it) and just how much is this adding to delay of timetables, not to mention the potential loss of revenue from passengers just giving up flying. If there are enough letters to enough carriers - they will take notice.
I think this should be one of the topics of discussion for the meeting with DL executives at the Delta Do.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Do we have the newest version of the brochure?
I was unaware of any requested changes since the last revision. If anyone has any content suggestions that would benefit the reference flyer, please post them in this thread.

Unless you need to edit the flyer to make it specific to your audience or want to make your own flyer, please use the reference flyer PDFs and ignore the following LaTeX content.

A LaTeX version of the flyer is available for customization. To get started, download and install a LaTeX distribution such as MiKTeX (free), download and extract the file archive, open the tex file, edit, and compile using pdfLaTeX. Mimicking the existing content for formatting can be a easy way to begin. A more comprehensive introduction to LaTeX may be found in a LaTeX guide or the Wikibooks primer.

To obtain a letter sized page, print the six output pages, three to each page side. Before distribution, please check that John Wild's attribution request is fulfilled and no double question marks or other strange characters show up (percent signs, underscores, quote marks need special attention).

Happy editing !

mediafire.com/?t6ulav401blmz7c
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozgytog
I got a little bored today because it's Saturday, so I set up a couple of domains and put up a bit of the content generated here. All I did was give it some dress-up, include the PDFs that newhaven made, and stick it on the web.

Currently should be working in a lot of places, but DNS might not have propagated everywhere just yet.

Links should include the ACLU: Airport and Watch List Harassment: Tell Your Story

Last edited by MikeMpls; Sep 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm Reason: Fix URLs
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozgytog

May we link to your sites in our communications with others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.