Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Nappy photo is now gone. It took me a bit longer to get some of the updates done..
I did submit my info to the ACLU, thanks for the link.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Well cath labs use fluoroscopy for the procedures that would extend to a lot more other procedures (GI flow, Epidural steriod injections, etc).

Im sorry TSA full of it and I wont be going through one of these perverted devices as i dont need to add to my life time radiation dose. Then that TSA wont produce the machine specs or certification documents yet another reason not to trust them on top of the mountain of incidents and evidence to date already.

#TSAFAIL
When I was in a "cath lab" last January (as a patient, not staff, having a clogged catheter reworked) only one doctor was in the room with me -- everyone else was in a separate room behind thick leaded glass.

Yet TSA's machines are out in the open, unshielded, to expose anyone nearby.

At least one of our new sites has a link to EPIC's home page, but there is also a comlaint/incident report form that deserves a direct link alongside the ACLU's:

EPIC Body Scanner Incident Report

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 8, 2010 at 8:29 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
What is the average IQ of a TSA Screener?

From Airline Nightmare.com

http://airlinenightmare.com/blog/?p=2898
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
At least one of our new sites has a link to EPIC's home page, but there is also a comlaint/incident report form that deserves a direct link alongside the ACLU's:

I just put that link on nudeoscope.com

keep 'em coming!

Originally Posted by Wimpie
From Airline Nightmare.com

http://airlinenightmare.com/blog/?p=2898
I like this one!

So we wondered what the average IQ of a TSA Screener is?

1. Door Knob

2. Dung Beetle

3. Sarah Palin (for you Democrat left wingers)

4. Nancy Pelosi (for you Republican right wingers)

5. All of the above

6. None of the above, IQ scores don’t go into the negative
I'll take #6
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Please, let's not slander Bozo the Clown. Think of the children.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Please, let's not slander Bozo the Clown. Think of the children.
Satire is much more effective if it's accurate.

Hint: TSA is not part of DoT.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Any name suggestions for a facebook group?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:35 pm

Link is now on dontscan.me, dontscan.us and airportbodyscan.org
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Hopeful signs from NY Times

Times Article - Are Scanners Worth the Risk?

brought 63 comments so far, many scathing, and not a single ...-clown in favor of "anything to make us safe"

A positive sign.^

http://community.nytimes.com/comment...el/12prac.html
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Offered in the spirit of improving the overall approach:

The website looks very professional and comprehensive, but I have technical concerns about the final paragraph under health risks, which compares mmw scanners to the Raytheon ADS and microwave ovens. While it is true that the ADS and microwave ovens (a) use radiofrequency energy and (b) produce heat effects which can burn or cook, the difference in power between a scanner and these systems are many, many orders of magnitude. (I don't have time to do the numbers now, but it would be something like a million times higher.)

Therefore the final sentence of the paragraph "Millimeter wave is essentially the same technology used by microwave ovens to cook food, and can cause burns and severe eye damage if the devices are not very carefully calibrated." suggests that the scanners could start transmitting at power levels a million times higher than what they're designed to do.

This sounds like opposing a AA-powered Maglite because it uses the same energy as the lasers which can blind you, or opposing batteries themselves because electricity is the same thing used to execute people. Just because two things use the same mode of energy doesn't mean one can suddenly turn into the other. Uncalibrated machines may vary by a few percent, perhaps even 50%, but they don't transmit a million times above their design target.

You all know that I hate the scanners as much as anybody, but this sort of exaggeration hurts our campaign rather than helping it. I would be hesitant to point any of my colleagues to this site, because that comparison is so inappropriate that they wouldn't take the rest of the (excellent) material seriously.

It would be more useful to mention that there are no known* health risks associated with millimeter wave scanners but that the TSA is continuing to deploy the x-ray ones anyway. And then move on to the privacy, time, and theft concerns which are common to both x-ray and mmw scanners.

*There was some report of millimeter-wave energy "unwrapping" DNA. This was based on one research paper with (to my mind) rather questionable conclusions. Citing this would be less problematic than the current text with comparisons to ADS and microwave ovens, but still not very technically convincing.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I love the website and hope further activism up to and including civil disobedience at checkpoints can be encouraged through this initiative. I was wondering if it might be possible to set up the infrastructure to allow individuals to send a complaint to their elected representative via the website? It's probably already in the works, but I am unable to prevent myself interfering in this very good cause.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: Co Gold
I'd just like to add that if you guys are planning some sort of event, such as a mass opt-out, December 10th is International Human Right Day.

That should give enough time to plan something and get the media on board if it were at all possible
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Offered in the spirit of improving the overall approach:

The website looks very professional and comprehensive, but I have technical concerns about the final paragraph under health risks, which compares mmw scanners to the Raytheon ADS and microwave ovens. While it is true that the ADS and microwave ovens (a) use radiofrequency energy and (b) produce heat effects which can burn or cook, the difference in power between a scanner and these systems are many, many orders of magnitude. (I don't have time to do the numbers now, but it would be something like a million times higher.)
I might edit that section to be more clear, but one thing I won't do is state that there are no health risks to using MMW, because that has not been proven. The statement you want me to make about MMW scanners having no known health risks appears to support their deployment as an acceptable alternative to the backscatter X-ray machines.

It is not.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I agree with the risk of overplaying the health aspect and being labelled as just another 'tinfoil hat' group.

I think it's sufficient to say that the health risks have not been identified or quantified, provide a pertinent non-sensational link or two and let the audience come to its own conclusion.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I agree with the risk of overplaying the health aspect and being labelled as just another 'tinfoil hat' group.

I think it's sufficient to say that the health risks have not been identified or quantified, provide a pertinent non-sensational link or two and let the audience come to its own conclusion.
I second (third?) this approach. All in all, this is a very exciting endeavor and I'm happy to be a small part of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.