Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Getting selected anyway, should I refuse to show ID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting selected anyway, should I refuse to show ID?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I always wondered about lawyers and such working for government.

In private practice it would seem the sky is the limit money wise. However, signing on with government has definite, while very generous, limits on income.
Also practically guaranteed employement. Unless considered a "senior", you're not really fireable. Lawyers, doctors, and other high level professionals like that were on separate payscales at my agency so I don't know if they were fireable like other senior level employees.

The benefit is that while they may not make as much as they would in the private sector, they still do quite well and the income is going to be stable and there for the long term, where as that may not be the case in the private sector.

I met with OGC once and at least the one we met witih seemed relatively sharp, unlike TSA's.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SATTSO
A quick story: when I first started my shift ended and we would still be busy, even though the new shift was now on. I would stay to help with the shif change, maybe 10 to 20 minutes. When the supervisors found ou I was doing this, I was told - very pleasantly, I might add - that though the extra help was appreciated, my shift was over and I had to leave. I had put in my hours, the day was over. Huh. That took a while getting used to, but now I like the fact that when they day is over, it's over. Gone are the 12 hour days, working extra on the weekends... I've learned it's nice to rest, sometimes. But don't call me lazy!! I still work as hard as I can while I am here. But you can see why some people might perfer that. It's all about externalities.
That's probably because of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). If you work these hours then you have a claim against the government to be paid for these extra hours, just like non-exempt employees in private industry. Your supervisors probably get training every year to remind them to counsel employees just like you were told.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I have NOT read mos of the court cases involving TSA. In fact, I have read only a dozen or so. So I am not an expert. I can remember from some of the cases that I have read from the lower courts, TSA has clearly stated their opinion such courts did not have jurisdiction, thus TSA has refused to allow the court access to SOP. In higher courts, TSA has allowed access to SOP in private, as thy have argued such courts do hae jurisdiction.

Can you please site to me where TSA has stated courts in general, no matter their stature, do not have jurisdiction. I am interested in reading their opinion why; and just to let you know, if TSA has made such annartument, I disagree.

Thanks.
I'll have to dig around and see what I can find, as that thought has intrigued me now.

Perhaps I should have phrased it such that TSA acts like no court has jurisdiction over them. That's definitely apparent. If it had regard for court system and the law, I don't think it would be pulling a lot of the garbage it does.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Didn't you all learn? You have no rights at the security checkpoints any more!!

9/11 changed everything!!!111!!! (tm)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Attitude. Proper attitude is hat in hand, standing with head down, no eye contact, and pleading that you be allowed through the checkpoint to catch your flight because you don't have any identification.

Improper attitude is defiantly standing there, standing your ground because the ID check has no actual bearing on any security.
The traveler is a Jew in 1930's Germany, complete with yellow triangle (or two overlapped to resemble a Star of David). The TSO is the truncheon-wielding Gestapo agent snarling "Your papers are not in order, animal!"

Thanks so much for straightening this out.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
It's worth noting that TSA does not conduct passenger screening at SFO. It has been outsourced. Look carefully and you will see that the personnel are not TSOs and do not wear TSA uniforms.

That said, they probably operate under guidelines provided by TSA, so the "interview" process to prove identity might still apply.
Yes, at SFO we are contractors for TSA. We work for the company Covenant Aviation Security. Have been since 2002 I believe.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. . . butTSA's track record seems to be they do not disclose such events or SOP to lower courts; correct me if I am wrong, but TSA has always argued lower courts do not have jurisdiction.
Sort of-- see below:

Originally Posted by Superguy
I really hope Phil's court case changes that asinine policy.
That is a state court case for a couple of misdemeanors that will have little if any precedential value. If he were to sue in federal court, that could go up the chain and have some effect; note that the opt-out logic (SSSS) in Gilmore no longer applies since you can no longer refuse to show ID and still fly. If the TSA added back in refusal=SSSS policy, but you can still fly, then we'd just be back where we started and Gilmore would be 'good' law again.

But his state court case has nothing to do with the TSA policy-- just some rogue cops who can't read a statute correctly (concealing identity, for one). His case in state court isn't going to change anything, and I don't know if a case in federal court would work for this in his situation-- it would require further thought.

I have NOT read mos of the court cases involving TSA. In fact, I have read only a dozen or so. So I am not an expert. I can remember from some of the cases that I have read from the lower courts, TSA has clearly stated their opinion such courts did not have jurisdiction, thus TSA has refused to allow the court access to SOP. In higher courts, TSA has allowed access to SOP in private, as thy have argued such courts do hae jurisdiction..
Essentially. The law seems to give only appellate courts the power to compel the TSA to produce SSI material, but the lower courts do not. They can provide it if they want to (i.e. Bierfeldt), but cannot be mandated to produce it for a lower court. Lower courts do still have jurisdiction over the TSA in a general sense, however, like if they were to find a practice unconstitutional the TSA wouldn't be allowed to just ignore the lower court's order. I haven't read up on it that much either, but the main issue in this case isn't jurisdiction I believe, it is the SSI.

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
I am almost positive this statement or similar was made by TSOs during the Fofana proceedings.
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'll have to dig around and see what I can find, as that thought has intrigued me now.

Perhaps I should have phrased it such that TSA acts like no court has jurisdiction over them. That's definitely apparent. If it had regard for court system and the law, I don't think it would be pulling a lot of the garbage it does.
We know what you meant-- they do not believe that the rule of law applies to them. They do seem to rely on it when it suits them, however (think Aukai).
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, we're removed several posts here from a of couple members who thought the thread was all about them.

Surprise.....the topic is about getting selected and having to show your ID.

Please keep further comments on the topic at hand and away from bickering with your fellow members.

Thanks.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

May, may not. Shrugs...

I haven't kept up with it to be honest. Bu personally, I doubt the policy will change, if at all. Too many "events" have happened that TSA lawyers can whip out of the bag to help argue their case before the Courts - but TSA's track record seems to be they do not disclose such events or SOP to lower courts; correct me if I am wrong, but TSA has always argued lower courts do not have jurisdiction.
Your lawyers are idiots, of course. Every important recent case considered by the courts has resulted in an embarrassing TSA loss, if I'm not mistaken.

Sooner or later, a combination of inane and unnecessary TSA practices coupled with TSA's lawyers running out the same tired arguments will be seen for what it is - an unconstitutional abuse of the rights of the traveling public. I just wish Congress would wake up now and rein your rogue Agency in.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I have NOT read mos of the court cases involving TSA. In fact, I have read only a dozen or so. So I am not an expert. I can remember from some of the cases that I have read from the lower courts, TSA has clearly stated their opinion such courts did not have jurisdiction, thus TSA has refused to allow the court access to SOP. In higher courts, TSA has allowed access to SOP in private, as thy have argued such courts do hae jurisdiction.
What a strange legal system you have over there.

Over here, you would be required to produce such items, and if you refused, you would have been in contempt. Of course, there was always the right of appeal, so this would have been settled a long time ago, over here, that is, but in your grossly convoluted court system, it is not surprising that even this has not been resolved by this stage.

Why don't you refine your court system, namely give your judges some dangly bits to make courageous rulings once in a while, sure, some of them *might* be overturned on appeal, but once there is an appeal then a precedent has been set and everyone knows where they stand. Instead of pooncy TSA legal droids dancing around the "this court doesn't have jurisdiction", by then there will be a superior court ruling and then the court WILL have jurisdiction.

Dave
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Improper attitude is defiantly standing there, standing your ground because the ID check has no actual bearing on any security.
Or legal.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:18 pm

I think where the confusion lies is the fact if you sue the TSA it has to be done in the Appellate courts.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/49...0----000-.html

a person disclosing a substantial interest in an order issued by the Secretary of Transportation (or the Under Secretary of Transportation for Security with respect to security duties and powers designated to be carried out by the Under Secretary or the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration with respect to aviation duties and powers designated to be carried out by the Administrator) in whole or in part under this part, part B, or subsection (l) or (s) of section 114 may apply for review of the order by filing a petition for review in the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit or in the court of appeals of the United States for the circuit in which the person resides or has its principal place of business.
The way I read it this applies ONLY to someone suing the Government over an order. If the TSA is a part of a criminal case in any capacity the lower court Judge can compel them to present SOP, SSI or anything else.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by n4zhg
The traveler is a Jew in 1930's Germany, complete with yellow triangle (or two overlapped to resemble a Star of David). The TSO is the truncheon-wielding Gestapo agent snarling "Your papers are not in order, animal!"

Thanks so much for straightening this out.
Holocaust references are great for forum discussions.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thadocta
What a strange legal system you have over there.

Over here, you would be required to produce such items, and if you refused, you would have been in contempt. Of course, there was always the right of appeal, so this would have been settled a long time ago, over here, that is, but in your grossly convoluted court system, it is not surprising that even this has not been resolved by this stage.
That's what happens here as well, if you are a private citizen. If you are a government employee or agency, you get a pass, especially if some thug starts crying "terrorism."

"All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others."

Originally Posted by thadocta
Why don't you refine your court system, namely give your judges some dangly bits to make courageous rulings once in a while, sure, some of them *might* be overturned on appeal, but once there is an appeal then a precedent has been set and everyone knows where they stand. Instead of pooncy TSA legal droids dancing around the "this court doesn't have jurisdiction", by then there will be a superior court ruling and then the court WILL have jurisdiction.
The independence of the judiciary in the USA is a polite fiction and a very ragged fig leaf. This nation's so-called justice system is quite incestuous, and the common source of salary is the least part of it. A judge that bucks the system is risking quite a lot.

Back in the days of prohibition, a federal judge told prohibition enforcers that the new technology of wiretapping telephones was illegal based on then-current laws that kept police from searching post. Said enforcers manufactured evidence that the judge was in the pay of bootleggers, had the judge impeached, removed, prosecuted, and imprisoned. Message sent. Message received.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:48 am

passenger identification FAQ; cross-reference related FT posts

Originally Posted by aviators99
At SFO, I am subject to selected screening every time, since I won't go through the nude-o-scope. Is there any reason I shouldn't refuse to show my ID? My understanding is that all that means is I will be subject to the same selected screening, or has that changed?
Here's what I know:

What are the rules concerning airline passenger identification by TSA?

Although TSA refuses to publish all the rules they require passengers to follow at airport checkpoints, from what we can distill from TSA press releases, heavily-redacted information obtained via FOIA requests, TSA blog posts, and other information they publish on the Web, it's relatively clear that your boarding pass is all the documentation that's ever required for domestic flights. It seems that passengers are not required to present documentation of their identities to TSA staff, and that doing so is not a condition of crossing the TSA checkpoint.

TSA won't publish the rules we're supposed to follow. So what do we know about their I.D. policies?

According to a 2008 press release from TSA, TSA's airport passenger identification policy changed on June 21, 2008, but "showing I.D." was seemingly not required before and is seemingly not required now.

Prior to June 21, 2008

Before June 21, 2008, the situation seemed to be: In order to proceed to the "secure area" of an airport after being stopped at a TSA barricade, each passenger must submit to a pat-down and search for metallic objects using a hand-held metal detector, along with a hand-searching of any carry-on baggage, unless he presents documentation of his identity (i.e., unless he "shows I.D."), in which case he must submit only to a search for metallic objects on his person via walk-through metal detector and search of any carry-on baggage using an X-ray machine.

In other words: back then, showing I.D. simply got you a less-thorough search than you'd otherwise receive.

Now

Beginning June 21, 2008, the situation seems to be: Each passenger still has the option of showing I.D. and participating in the less-thorough searches (walk-through metal detector and X-raying of carry-ons), but the alternative now involves not only being thoroughly searched for dangerous items, but also identifying oneself verbally and participating in an interrogation intended to verify one's identity (via phone call from Homeland Security headquarters). Chillingly, it seems from the aforementioned TSA press release that this alternative also requires that someone be "cooperative with officers". What that cooperation entails is not defined.

Initial reports from TSA indicated that while people who claimed that their government-issued I.D. card was misplaced or stolen would be allowed to take the alternate route through the checkpoint (with the questioning), those who willfully refused to show their papers would be barred from proceeding. It's unclear whether or not this is still the case, or if it was ever the case, as TSA's initial press release seems, based on information received from TSA via Freedom of Information Act request, to have been inaccurate.

Summary of present situation and how to exploit it

In short, best we can tell, complying with TSA's "papers, please!" request is not necessary in order to fly domestically, it's simply a way to avoid the hassle of a thorough search for dangerous items, the hassle of providing convincing information in support of your claim to be who you say you are, and having to cooperate with TSA airport staff in any manner they see fit.

This is a great system for people who wish to do harm in airports or on airplanes, since getting a falsified identification document (i.e., a "fake I.D.") is relatively simple, and presentation of one almost guarantees that TSA staff will look at someone with less scrutiny, making it easier for him to take weapons, explosives, or incendiaries past the security checkpoint. Even if TSA could detect such fraud with perfect accuracy, using the Carnival Booth Algorithm, terrorists can probe an identity-based security system like TSA's by sending a number of people on harmless trips through the system, noting who is flagged for extra searches and who isn't. Then they can send those who aren't flagged -- people who almost certainly will get through security with a less-thorough search -- on terrorist missions.

Why does TSA want to identify us? What's wrong with them doing so?

This isn't about your safety. It's about control -- a few people's control over the rest of us.

The primary reason that TSA wants to know who you are is their desire to restrict people's movement based on Homeland Security blacklists. As did every government that has imposed totalitarian rules, TSA repeatedly tells us that their freedom-restricting policies are about safety, security, and rooting out subversives. Of course, this policy is really about extra-judicial punishment, allowing our executive branch of government to sidestep our judicial branch and punish someone for any reason or no reason at all. That's not the way things are supposed to work in the United States. It's ripe for abuse, and it's an infringement on our freedom.

For more on showing I.D. in the general sense, please see the Identity Project's "What's Wrong With Showing I.D.?" page.

Previous discussion on FlyerTalk

For more on TSA airport I.D. policies, see also the following FT threads (the first of which is what brought me to FlyerTalk for the first time):

Last edited by pmocek; Feb 16, 2010 at 11:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.