Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How many times do I show my BP and ID at the checkpoint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I can't keep it straight. Small detail, but I like to know ahead of time.

In Canada I carry my BP and ID to the screener at the belt and then take those two items with me through the metal detector. I am also obliged to show both before entering the plane.

I remember travelling in the States in July and there is an ID checker well before the belt. I was told to put ALL my things through the X-ray - which resulted in my ID and BP being loose in the bin.... I didn't care for that as obviously they could disappear quite easily. At boarding, only my BP was required.

So on Tuesday when I fly from DTW to LAS which procedure is it? Show my BP and ID only once at the TSA checkpoint and then put it safely in my bag to be screened or carry it through the metal detector with me? Do I only show the BP to board the acft?

Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by g-didi
... So on Tuesday when I fly from DTW to LAS which procedure is it? Show my BP and ID only once at the TSA checkpoint and then put it safely in my bag to be screened or carry it through the metal detector with me? Do I only show the BP to board the acft? ...
Assuming all domestic flights:

1. Show your BP and ID to the ID checker at the start of the line.

2. Never, ever put your BP through the WTMD. Keep it and show it as you go through.

3. At the gate, hand your BP over to be scanned at the gate as you board.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:46 am

Last edited by ND Sol; Oct 31, 2009 at 7:02 am
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:00 am

Once, at the TDC podium.

After that, feel free to do whatever you want to with it. You don't have to show it again at the WTMD.

There are times that you will be required to produce it again, but not during a 'normal' screening process.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Darn, beat me to it.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
for me, i've simply given up and just carry it in my hand

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Once, at the TDC podium.

After that, feel free to do whatever you want to with it. You don't have to show it again at the WTMD.

There are times that you will be required to produce it again, but not during a 'normal' screening process.
i know that it supposed to be sop (n.b. supposed to) but please tell that to the folks at lax (ua t-7) as in addition to the std liquids, shoes & laptops announcement, there was "please keep your boarding pass with you and do not put in with your bags"
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:37 am

Once, at the TDC podium.

Some airports do require showing the BP again at the WTMD.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by myrgirl
Cool, but they're not supposed to. TSA even came out after they changed the requirements and said that FSDs do not have the authority to require the showing of boarding passes a second time at the WTMD, meaning that TSA wants it checked only at the TDC podium, and that's that.

My best advice is to use the Got Feedback? thing and tell TSA which airports are doing it. It might inspire them to get in touch with the local TSA powers-that-be and put a stop to it.

Note, however, that if there is no TDC podium - i.e.: the WTMD operator is the one performing the ID/BP check, then that's fine. We do that in Huntsville after 5:30pm or so, when we're down to a faint trickle of passengers and a skeleton crew, and can't afford to have one of the blue shirts out at TDC.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool, but they're not supposed to. TSA even came out after they changed the requirements and said that FSDs do not have the authority to require the showing of boarding passes a second time at the WTMD, meaning that TSA wants it checked only at the TDC podium, and that's that.

My best advice is to use the Got Feedback? thing and tell TSA which airports are doing it. It might inspire them to get in touch with the local TSA powers-that-be and put a stop to it.

Note, however, that if there is no TDC podium - i.e.: the WTMD operator is the one performing the ID/BP check, then that's fine. We do that in Huntsville after 5:30pm or so, when we're down to a faint trickle of passengers and a skeleton crew, and can't afford to have one of the blue shirts out at TDC.

Dean as seems typical for your agency having certain policies applied equally across the country is something that TSA seems incapable of doing.

Like the shoes on the belt/bin BS that has never been clarified.

You would think that with as many SES employees that TSA has they could get someone to follow their direction.

These issues are clear indications of a serious leadership vacuum at TSA.

Oh, and before you tell me that shoes are not seen on xray if they are in the bins please explain how shoes in a carry-on can be screened without being removed.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
2. Never, ever put your BP through the WTMD. Keep it and show it as you go through.
That point doesn't make sense.

You know that "WTMD" stands for "Walk-Through Metal Detector," right?

Or, you're saying to keep the BP as passengers go through the x-ray machine?

Originally Posted by myrgirl
Seconded. Chicago/O'Hare is the first notable that comes to mind.

Originally Posted by g-didi
I can't keep it straight. Small detail, but I like to know ahead of time.

In Canada I carry my BP and ID to the screener at the belt and then take those two items with me through the metal detector. I am also obliged to show both before entering the plane.

I remember travelling in the States in July and there is an ID checker well before the belt. I was told to put ALL my things through the X-ray - which resulted in my ID and BP being loose in the bin.... I didn't care for that as obviously they could disappear quite easily. At boarding, only my BP was required.

So on Tuesday when I fly from DTW to LAS which procedure is it? Show my BP and ID only once at the TSA checkpoint and then put it safely in my bag to be screened or carry it through the metal detector with me? Do I only show the BP to board the acft?

Thanks.
Here are the drills:

INTER-CANADIAN TRAVEL
BP and ID approaching gate.
BP to the bin feeder at the x-ray
No shoe removal
BP and ID at the gate

CANADA TO US TRAVEL
BP only to private guard entering Customs hall
BP, Passport and Declaration Card to Immigration person (assuming no NEXUS)
BP only to the bin feeder at the x-ray
Remove shoes
BP and Passport at the gate

TRAVEL WITHIN OR OUT OF THE US
BP and ID to ID checker
(sometimes) BP only at checkpoint
no BP or ID check at gate
(for travel to Canada only) BP and Passport at gate

Personal suggestion: Never EVER leave anything "loose" in the bin. Shove your wallet, mobile phone, BP, IDs, etc. into a bag.

Last edited by Cholula; Oct 31, 2009 at 11:35 pm Reason: Merging multiple, successive posts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
That point doesn't make sense.

You know that "WTMD" stands for "Walk-Through Metal Detector," right?

Or, you're saying to keep the BP as passengers go through the x-ray machine?
Yes. Trying to type and make sense at night is getting more difficult as I get older. Of course I meant not to pass the BP through the x-ray and to show it as he passed throught the metal detector.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:18 am

... that TSA wants it ( boarding pass) checked only at the TDC podium, and that's that. ...
That may be that at your airport but of the 25 or 30 I passed through in the last year, I'd say at least 20+ required showing the BP while walking through the WTMD. None said it wasn't necessary and only a few didn't look at it. I figured those few just forgot or were being lazy. It seems they were actually the only ones following policy. <sigh>
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I believe I understand the procedures now and will be flexible to include #24 in my routine to avoid flyer frustration!

(Edit to include #24 since I just read the excuses list. No wonder I couldnt figure it out!)

Last edited by g-didi; Oct 31, 2009 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Once, at the TDC podium.

Except at SEA (unless something has changed in the last week). Still required to display BP at the podium and as you clear the WTMD.

Also required to show both ID and BP when going through TSA when transiting international to domestic at JFK or ATL.

And, of course, you may be required to show ID again at the gate or on the jetway if TSA is doing the roving gate checks.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 31, 2009 at 10:46 am Reason: added comment
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would think that with as many SES employees that TSA has they could get someone to follow their direction.
I can say with a certain degree of experience that TSA SES employees (from Gale on down) would have a hard time competing for GS-9 positions outside the Beltway. The career SESs are bad enough. The politicals are downright incompetent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.