Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additional data point: USD410/EUR365/GBP325 on FCO-ADD (from an H fare).

Quick question: the page where you enter credit card details stated "Kindly be informed that you have to verify your credit card used to purchase your economy class ticket before submitting bids if you are already contacted to do so".
Is that supposed to mean that I am expected to use the same credit card as I used for the economy booking? I used a different credit card and it seemed to accept it for submitting the offer (although obviously I won't know whether it worked until the offer is accepted and they attempt to debit the card). I also submitted the offer in GBP even though the original ticket was in euros. Let us hope that neither will throw a spanner in the works.

The text on the offer submission screen also listed as one of the advantages of upgrading: "Lounge access at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport". I take it that is default standard text and that I will in fact have access to whatever departure lounge they use at FCO rather than on arrival at ADD.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:24 am

Hong Kong to Addis upgrade cleared at US$40 above minimum per person for party of 2. The booking class is Z; so not sure if I would have a heck of a time crediting to Air Canada/Aeroplan and Singapore Airlines/Krisflyer even though one is supposed to earn miles based on original ticketing. Ah well, can't have cake and eat it too I suppose. I am very happy as is.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by zhaobao
Hong Kong to Addis upgrade cleared at US$40 above minimum per person for party of 2. The booking class is Z; so not sure if I would have a heck of a time crediting to Air Canada/Aeroplan and Singapore Airlines/Krisflyer even though one is supposed to earn miles based on original ticketing. Ah well, can't have cake and eat it too I suppose. I am very happy as is.
So how much did it cost you? What was the minimum per person? I think the total cost rather than the $40 you mention is worth sharing.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:47 pm

My ticket is a HKG to Addis return in L class. The minimum bid was US$510 and we bid US$550. I am sure even in the same booking class, there is some algorithm behind to determine what the minimum price would be, depending on whether it is a HKG to ADD, HKG to xxx, xxx to HKG or ADD to HKG ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Tried to check in on the web within the window and now got the note

Itinerary is not eligible for check-in.
We have found your reservation, but there is a problem with your ticket. Please see a check-in agent at the airport.

Called Reservations in Hong Kong and they mentioned that for those who successfully managed to bid for an upgrade, the check in process has to be "manual" and at the airport check in counter, in Hong Kong, Addis or any other airports. Sounds like a similar situation with South African Airways.

FYI.

Last edited by zhaobao; Dec 19, 2018 at 11:20 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
I am flying in J YYZ LLW but my son is flying in coach with me but I have bid on the YYZ ADD and ADD YYZ legs in hopes he gets it for a total price less than my full biz fair.

It is amazing the number of people discussing YYZ LLW
b_magee likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:32 pm

Flying EWR to ACC.

Anyone know of any discounts or upgrades that are still in effect. Flying EWR to ACC in April. Looking at Ethiopian airlines since it is the shortest flight of 12 hours.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:45 am

Can anyone see actual load numbers? I am on ET 503 on the 9th and the upgrade did not clear at t-48h
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by MQS007
Can anyone see actual load numbers? I am on ET 503 on the 9th and the upgrade did not clear at t-48h
Y7 G7 S7 B7 M7 K7 L7 V7 H7 U7 Q6 O6

Looks like no business fare buckets are available. But the seat map shows 5 business seats unassigned.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Thanks, let's hope that the full load is a result of a computer issue and that the seats are available at the counter.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:44 pm

Once the bid is accepted, is it possible to change/choose the seat online or by app?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sushimaru
Once the bid is accepted, is it possible to change/choose the seat online or by app?
Yes. But you won't be able to OLCI though.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:05 am

Here are some recent data points (min bids):
ZNZ-ADD $160 (H bucket)
ADD-LHR $510 (H bucket)
LHR - ADD $540 (V bucket)

Also, I noticed that they are now stating:
You can change your offer up until 26 hours before departure.
B747-437B and Greg0rE like this.

Last edited by imarks; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:47 am Reason: Corrected ADD-LHR $510 (H bucket)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
More data:
ADD-DAR (H/U fare). Minimum bid used to be $ 250, now set to $ 200. Understandable, since Y is routinely oversold and C mostly half full, if even.
ADD-DXB (fare?). Minimum bid $ 220 - Mrs. got accepted (twice) and upgraded both ways few weeks ago.
ADD-CAN (L/H fare). Minimum bid $ 600.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
ADD-IAD & IAD-ADD are showing $1,320 USD for minimum bids
Obviously a route where C is usually quite full. Last minute upgrades (depending on original fare paid & availability) on this route are generally sold for around $1,500 USD at ADD.
Goaguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.