Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:50 pm
  #76  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,596
Originally Posted by uptoolate
Have been to Malawi four times in last 9 months but always less than a month's notice.
Drop myself and b_magee a line next time you are coming to Malawi. We can have a mini-meet up! Most people haven't even heard of Malawi, even on FT, so getting 3 FT members in the same place will be some sort of a record.
Greg0rE and b_magee like this.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:26 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,116
Booked a series of flights on ET. Notice that for a domestic sector departing from Addis, I am actually eligible to bid for an upgrade to business class on a 737-800 aircraft. The minimum bid is US$15. Sounds like a steal but then for a 70-minute flight I assume the air time is probably only 40 minutes. Is there even a lounge for domestic flights at Addis airport ? Don't mind the extra legroom just to nap for a bit given that the flight is early morning.....
zhaobao is offline  
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:01 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 270
Flying DXB-ADD-JRO on Saturday. Will have just landed from Emirates SFO-DXB the night before. My girlfriend and I decided to bid $225 for the DXB-ADD leg ($5 over minimum) and pass on the flight to JRO (which is a relatively empty 350). $225 is still probably more than what it's worth for a 737 (any chance at a last minute swap?), but we figure the priority and extra room will be nice for the early morning flight after the previous days redeye. Will report back our success.
gobears293 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:46 am
  #79  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,596
Originally Posted by zhaobao
Booked a series of flights on ET. Notice that for a domestic sector departing from Addis, I am actually eligible to bid for an upgrade to business class on a 737-800 aircraft. The minimum bid is US$15. Sounds like a steal but then for a 70-minute flight I assume the air time is probably only 40 minutes. Is there even a lounge for domestic flights at Addis airport ? Don't mind the extra legroom just to nap for a bit given that the flight is early morning.....
Yes there is a lounge and you'll get a slightly upgraded on-board service as well on the 737-800, as well as additional baggage allowance. Probably worth it if the price is only $15.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:48 am
  #80  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,596
Originally Posted by gobears293
$225 is still probably more than what it's worth for a 737 (any chance at a last minute swap?)
ET612/613 regularly swaps to a larger aircraft if it is booked full, so check about 48 hours in advance to see if there has been an aircraft change.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:27 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by B747-437B
ET612/613 regularly swaps to a larger aircraft if it is booked full, so check about 48 hours in advance to see if there has been an aircraft change.
Our bid was successful. Looks like three more empty seats left. No aircraft change yet, but I'll definitely keep checking.
B747-437B likes this.
gobears293 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:25 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,116
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Yes there is a lounge and you'll get a slightly upgraded on-board service as well on the 737-800, as well as additional baggage allowance. Probably worth it if the price is only $15.
Sounds like a steal considering that in many instances an entry to a Priority Pass lounge itself costs US$27.
zhaobao is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:15 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Posts: 467
Originally Posted by B747-437B
ET612/613 regularly swaps to a larger aircraft if it is booked full, so check about 48 hours in advance to see if there has been an aircraft change.
Off topic but I hope that ET will move its third DXB service to the afternoon bank and use larger aircraft. Yes, it'll mean longer ground time at DXB for turnarounds, but that's one key flight that could help further develop the afternoon bank.
B747-437B likes this.
ETStar is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:38 pm
  #84  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,596
Originally Posted by ETStar
Off topic but I hope that ET will move its third DXB service to the afternoon bank and use larger aircraft. Yes, it'll mean longer ground time at DXB for turnarounds, but that's one key flight that could help further develop the afternoon bank.
DXB slots are not so easy to move around unfortunately, and arrival slots in the 2100hr range that would be needed to service the afternoon bank slots are especially difficult as it coincides with an Emirates bank as well as many of the Indian operators. Commercially it would make sense if they could get the slots, but operationally I don't see that happening anytime soon.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:24 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 4,402
Having hard time understanding the following logic:
TLV-ADD-CPT (r/t) and minimum offer on the TLV-ADD-TLV (4h40 on a 737) is 470$, while ADD-CPT-ADD (6hr30 on a 787) is 300$
Ditto is offline  
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:08 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UAL LT Gold (used to be a 1K) 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 148
I was successful in my Cloud Nine bid for LAX-DUB-ADD this coming Saturday morning (12:30am departure, ouch!). Minimum bid for both legs (must be bid as 1 leg) was $1040, which showed as "Strong". I bid $1050 and got the confirmation email almost exactly at the 48 hour prior mark just as B747-437B said would happen. I did not submit a bid on my connecting ADD-VFA flight as the minimum is $275 and I've got a whole row in coach to myself (so far).
JetJunkie is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:15 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,116
What is the booking class that one gets with the upgrade auction ? Had a hard time crediting miles onto SQ and AC with the upgrade program on SA ... SQ would not even credit miles based on original booking class prior to the upgrade.
zhaobao is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:06 am
  #88  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 15,596
Originally Posted by zhaobao
What is the booking class that one gets with the upgrade auction ?
C
B747-437B is offline  
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:06 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by B747-437B
C
I got Z.

ADD-HRE, minimum bid $175 successful
pineapple_juice is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:52 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3
Credit card issues

Has anyone had issues with the bidding system not taking your credit card? I have done this twice for a flight from ADD-YYZ. I win the bids but it says it has issues charging my card. I tried all 3 of my cards and called my credit card companies and they changed settings on their end to allow any charges but it fails. Of course there is no phone number you can call them at to see why its being rejected. I am trying to upgrade my Wife's flight but I don't think that should matter but I have even also tried her credit cards.
stbrown is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.