Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Huge amount of data points in the other thread here :

Bottom line - the minimum bid has ALWAYS been enough to secure the upgrade if seats are available.
Do you know if the email comes 48hrs prior to the departure of the 1st leg of the flight or the leg you bid on.
Starting my flight in less than 48hr time now and have not gotten a mail. Yet its still letting me adjust my bid if i want. And got a mail this morning offering me a last chance to upgrade my first leg which i havent done.

Just sweating bullets right now, cause im not in the mood of having no lounge in ADD for 4hours haha
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by captaindreadable
Do you know if the email comes 48hrs prior to the departure of the 1st leg of the flight or the leg you bid on.
First email would be EXACTLY (to the minute) 48 hours prior to the segment you bid on only. If there is no upgrade run the first time (sometimes due to aircraft swaps or similar), they will run it again at 24 hours prior at which time you will get an email letting you know that your bid was either successful or unsuccessful. Pre-48 hours and post-24 hours does not happen.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:26 pm

Thanks thats reassuring now.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:44 pm

so 48hrs out and no email?? do i have any optoins?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

so 48hrs out and no email?? do i have any optoins?
Wait till T-24 and you will receive a mail one way or the other. If a seat is available you will be upgraded.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:39 pm

Wait till T-24 and you will receive a mail one way or the other. If a seat is available you will be upgraded.
Still no mail after 24hrs out. The equipment was changed from a 350 to a 777.

Flight now in 13hrs. Do you think there is any hope. Have people had any joy upgrading at checkin. And is the price reasonable?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Still no mail after 24hrs out. The equipment was changed from a 350 to a 777. Flight now in 13hrs. Do you think there is any hope. Have people had any joy upgrading at checkin. And is the price reasonable?
Ah, if there is an aircraft sub then all bets are off. They will usually not run the upgrade list if there is uncertainty about the final aircraft type. You can try to upgrade at checkin, but the prices are usually significantly higher. Sorry it didn't work out.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:17 pm

so aircraft got subbed 3 times and now back on the original A350!!

Ended up upgrading before departure cost me $250!! more than it should have but thankful cause i got the 1:2:1 configuration in the end. They must loose a decent amount of revenue with the bidding system not working if there is an equipment change.
B747-437B and sushimaru like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:00 pm

so aircraft got subbed 3 times and now back on the original A350!!

Ended up upgrading before departure cost me $250!! more than it should have but thankful cause i got the 1:2:1 configuration in the end. They must loose a decent amount of revenue with the bidding system not working if there is an equipment change.
For London - Addis flight? That's incredible!

Here are the latest minimum bid for my case:

NRT-ADD (789): USD 485
ADD-EBB (738): USD 175
EBB-ADD (738): USD 175
ADD-JNB (359): USD 385

Must say... USD 480 upgrade for a 15hr flight surely sounds like a good deal!
tiamsanit likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:37 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I have a return portion of my itinerary which was booked in Y. I checked the upgrade bid prices and first leg was set at $470 with second set at $325. Both prices were a bit much so I thought, with no guarantee of getting the seats so I called ET Customer Services to check the price to pay outright to J. Full itinerary upgrade for the return was $466 with added bonus of points and miles also being awarded.

If looking to upgrade, it doesn’t harm in calling in to check the cost as there could be a significant difference to upgrade bid prices.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Full itinerary upgrade for the return was $466 with added bonus of points and miles also being awarded.
Ensure that this is not the "P" class price that is being quoted as that does not accrue miles in most partner programs. The "P" class fare is often much cheaper than even some economy fare buckets when it is available.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:07 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Ensure that this is not the "P" class price that is being quoted as that does not accrue miles in most partner programs. The "P" class fare is often much cheaper than even some economy fare buckets when it is available.
D class on the e-tickets received.
B747-437B and jonr405 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:52 pm

Last Minute Bid Cancellation?

Just went for the bid on NRT-ADD segment. In the bid page, it says "You can change your offer up until 3 hours before departure". However, the ET website also says under FAQs:

---------
Is there a time limit to make an offer?

The offer window closes 50 hours prior to the departure date of each flight. You can also make changes up until this time.
---------

Which is correct?

Seems like all kinds of fleet are operated on this route, and I do want to cancel the bid once I could confirm the old angled business class being operated for the incoming flight from Addis.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:27 pm

Update:

The upgrade could literally happen in the last minute, like approx. 12hrs before the departure flight.

I had NRT-ADD-EBB itinerary, and decided to bid for the second leg. Upon checking-in at Narita, the upgrade was still at pending status and the agent just had to issue the boarding pass with the original booking class (in Economy).

After arrival in Addis, I received an e-mail that the bidding was successful. This was unexpected and had it not being connecting to the WiFi I would have had no idea about the upgrade. The new boarding pass was issued by the agent at Star Alliance Gold Lounge, as I was just about to checking into lounge thinking I was flying Economy, and then later shifted to the next door a-slight-better Cloud 9 Lounge (for Business passengers only).

The offer window did NOT close 50hrs prior to departure, for instance the empty NRT-ADD segment allowed the bidding right up till the check-in time at the airport. Obviously, whether getting through the bidding last minute is a different story. As long as the bidding is pending, the cancellation is possible it seems.

Last edited by sushimaru; May 7, 2022 at 10:30 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old May 28, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, *A Gold
Few days ago I placed bid on today (29.5) ZNZ-ADD and early morning (30.5) redeye ADD-VIE . Placed minimum bid + 5USD.

no emails in 48h neither 24h advance for any of those flights, biding is still opened, availibility for both flights in business class is 7+

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.