Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Does anyone know if flights to from EWR are eligible for an upgrade as they don't appear on the available routes on the ET FAQ page? I'm asking as their website does not always have the most up to date information.

I am specifically looking at the ET508 / ET509 (LFW-EWR).
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by ninjastar
Does anyone know if flights to from EWR are eligible for an upgrade as they don't appear on the available routes on the ET FAQ page? I'm asking as their website does not always have the most up to date information.

I am specifically looking at the ET508 / ET509 (LFW-EWR).
Would surprise me if it wasn't. I have yet to come across an international itinerary which I couldn't place a bid on. Unless business was sold out, of course.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goaguy
Would surprise me if it wasn't. I have yet to come across an international itinerary which I couldn't place a bid on. Unless business was sold out, of course.
Only routes to/from Addis have usually been available. No 5th freedom sectors, or routes operated by ASKY/Malawian/etc..
Goaguy likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Athens Flight

Am trying to bid for the Addis-Athens and Athens-Addis flights. My connection to/from Addis allows this, but the Athens flight is marked as non-eligible for upgrade even though the same fare class. Does it take Ethiopian a while to put this new flight into the upgrade system?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by neflyer13
Am trying to bid for the Addis-Athens and Athens-Addis flights. My connection to/from Addis allows this, but the Athens flight is marked as non-eligible for upgrade even though the same fare class. Does it take Ethiopian a while to put this new flight into the upgrade system?
Did you check if there are available business class seats available on the flights on e.g. Expertflyer? Or give us the date/flight no then we can check for you.

EDIT: Perhaps it could also be because this route was just recently (re)introduced?
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-dec-2019/

Last edited by Goaguy; Oct 22, 2019 at 4:52 am
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, FB, UA
There are lots of seats available for sale...but the flight was just reintroduced--that is why I'm wondering if its just a delay inputting the flight into the upgrade system
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:13 am

I've experienced similar problems twice in the last month. In both cases, my flight had been swapped to a different one and the new flight was ineligible for online upgrade. The second time it happened, I contacted my local ET office and they fixed it for me. I'm not sure what they did, but the flight became eligible for online upgrade and I successfully bid for a seat in business class. So this obviously happens from time to time and it seems ET staff can rectify it for you assuming there are seats available and time available to get it sorted. YMMV.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Do you know if ET tickets are eligible for upgrade even if purchased through a travel agent or an online booking service (i.e. not directly via ET)? My only previous experience has been when booking directly with them. Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

I was able to upgrade a flight booked through Orbitz.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ninjastar
Do you know if ET tickets are eligible for upgrade even if purchased through a travel agent or an online booking service (i.e. not directly via ET)? My only previous experience has been when booking directly with them. Thanks
All 071-stock tickets are eligible unless booked into "X" class.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:21 pm

Minimum bid for
ADD-BKK (H): $400

Minimum was accepted just over 27 hours before departure.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:16 am

I'm flying with Ethiopian in January and I looked at the upgrades for my legs, which are the followings:

MXP - ADD: starting at 270$ (I bid 280$)
ZNZ - ADD: starting at 140$ (I bid 150$)
ADD - MXP: starting at 340$ (I didn't bid)

Since both bids where well in the "poor" section, should I try to go at least to "fair" (which would be 355$ for MXP-ADD which is the most interesting for me) or it would not matter? I read here that minimum bids usually clear, but the "poor" rating and the bid well below what was previously reported for MXP-ADD do scare me a little.

Thank you!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by thezec
I'm flying with Ethiopian in January and I looked at the upgrades for my legs, which are the followings:

MXP - ADD: starting at 270$ (I bid 280$)
ZNZ - ADD: starting at 140$ (I bid 150$)
ADD - MXP: starting at 340$ (I didn't bid)

Since both bids where well in the "poor" section, should I try to go at least to "fair" (which would be 355$ for MXP-ADD which is the most interesting for me) or it would not matter? I read here that minimum bids usually clear, but the "poor" rating and the bid well below what was previously reported for MXP-ADD do scare me a little.

Thank you!
The minimum and max bid indications are not a very accurate indication of chances of winning the bid, to my understanding. If you read through this thread there are plenty of examples of winning bids around minimum. It is more a matter of the load on the routes at a given time.
E.g. I fly the ADD-DAR regularly and I'd say business class is only full on 5-10% of the flights. Most flights are not even half full in business.
Note that first half of January is high season for tourists in Zanzibar. It calms down around mid Jan. So load on the plane may also depend on when in Jan your flight is.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Goaguy
The minimum and max bid indications are not a very accurate indication of chances of winning the bid, to my understanding. If you read through this thread there are plenty of examples of winning bids around minimum. It is more a matter of the load on the routes at a given time.
E.g. I fly the ADD-DAR regularly and I'd say business class is only full on 5-10% of the flights. Most flights are not even half full in business.
Note that first half of January is high season for tourists in Zanzibar. It calms down around mid Jan. So load on the plane may also depend on when in Jan your flight is.
Thank you for your reply! I will be flying in the second half of January, and back from ZNZ at the very end of the month, so hopefully there will not be to many people. Anyway it's the MXP-ADD leg that I'm most interested since it is an overnight flight and I would love to be able to sleep at least a couple of hours before kicking of my holiday, while the ZNZ-ADD leg would be only because I have a 5 hours stopover in ADD and I'd like to have access to ET Cloud 9 lounge (if it is possible with only the inbound leg in business).

Thanks again!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thezec
I'd like to have access to ET Cloud 9 lounge (if it is possible with only the inbound leg in business).
No, lounge access eligibility is based upon OUTBOUND flight only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.