FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines-471/)
-   -   Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1758525-ethiopian-new-online-upgrade-auction.html)

B747-437B Apr 9, 2016 1:59 pm

Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

I got an email from Ethiopian offering me a chance to bid for an upgrade on my upcoming Addis - Dubai flight later this week.

Looks like this is a new feature (it wasn't available on the same route last week) in partnership with "PlusGrade". Minimum upgrade bid is $375 for this sector so I gave it a shot. They will get back to me 48 hours prior to departure to let me know if it is successful.

According to the FAQ, it is currently only available on selected routes and for departures from Addis only. Routes are mainly the longhauls, but some key routes like Washington, Beijing and Delhi are excluded. Intra-Africa is only Cape Town, Cairo and Nairobi for now.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/bo...plus-grade-FAQ

dvs7310 Apr 10, 2016 1:08 am

I saw this as well. It offered it to me to Cairo but the minimum bid was way too much for me to justify on a fairly short overnight route. I don't anticipate much service on that flight and it's a 738. Want to say it was about $300 per passenger.

Unfortunately the Narita flight where I could actually see value wasn't offered. Rather bizarre, Hong Kong is eligible but Seoul and Narita are not, both are extensions of the Hong Kong flight.

sal77 Apr 12, 2016 1:09 pm

I was quite excited when I recieved the email today but my hopes were soon dashed when I clicked through and the lowest amount the system allowed was £430 to LHR. SAA also have an upgrade auction so I assume it is a star alliance feature.

B747-437B Apr 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Unfortunately, we were not able to accept your offer to upgrade to Business for your flight below.

Date Flight Origin Destination Offer per passenger
13 Apr 2016 ET 600 Addis Ababa (ADD) Dubai (DXB) $375 USD per passenger (1) (Note: Prices shown are in United States Dollars.)

What happens now?

Your original flight is unchanged and you need do nothing.
Your credit card has not been charged.

Although you weren’t successful this time we are sure that you will enjoy your trip with us.
Happy Travels,
Ethiopian Airlines
$375 for a 4 hour flight was a pretty decent bid if you ask me. I wouldn't pay more than that to upgrade.

ETStar Apr 12, 2016 3:44 pm

By comparison, what was the price for a J ticket on your itinerary?

B747-437B Apr 12, 2016 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ETStar (Post 26476245)
By comparison, what was the price for a J ticket on your itinerary?

Full itinerary was DXB-ADD-EBB-ADD-DXB and the D class fare would have been $1100 RT higher. So effectively around $400 prorated for the longer sector to DXB.

B747-437B Apr 13, 2016 5:04 am

Just saw that my 77L flight tonight has been swapped to a 763, so probably glad that the upgrade didn't clear. I would not have been pleased spending $375 for most of the 767 Cloud Nine seats.

Alpha Golf Apr 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sal77 (Post 26475508)
I assume it is a star alliance feature.

No, plusgrade is a separate company, they have a very motley list of currents. Check out their website.

B747-437B Apr 27, 2016 11:45 am

Just saw a similar option for my KQ flight next week. But the system keeps giving an error when actually submitting the bid.

Also have another couple of eligible ET flights in the next few weeks so lets see if any of those work out.

B747-437B May 8, 2016 6:00 pm

So my bid for the upgrade on ADD-DXB this week was successful at $375 (minimum amount). Upgrade was processed at exactly 48 hours prior to departure and credit card charged by Ethiopian at the same time. PNR was updated online and automatic seat assignment of 1A was also made.

Congratulations, Ethiopian Airlines has accepted your upgrade offer!

What to do now:

Your flight has been upgraded to Business. At the time of your check-in, you will receive a Business boarding pass.
You will also shortly receive a new e-ticket via email reflecting this upgrade!
Summary of your upgrade

Date Flight Origin Destination Offer Number of passengers Amount paid
08 May 2016 ET 600 Addis Ababa (ADD) Dubai (DXB) $375 USD per passenger (1) 1 $375 USD (Note: Prices shown are in United States Dollars.)

Welcome onboard!
Happy Travels,
Ethiopian Airlines
Unfortunately, when I checked in at the origin airport, the airport staff found it strange that I had been upgraded and after spending close to an hour making phonecalls while I stood at the desk, decided to unilaterally downgrade me back to a middle seat in Economy.

When I reached Addis, no help was forthcoming from either the Transfer Desk, Lounge Desk or Customer Service desk - none of whom had heard of the program. Fortunately, someone suggested that I see the Duty Manager who quickly understood the issue, checked the PNR history and immediately reinstated the upgrade.

So just a bit of warning to anyone who tries this going forward - there is a learning curve for ET staff but the program does actually work. Now lets see how my miles post...

Armin_D May 20, 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 26595790)
So my bid for the upgrade on ADD-DXB this week was successful at $375 (minimum amount). Upgrade was processed at exactly 48 hours prior to departure and credit card charged by Ethiopian at the same time. PNR was updated online and automatic seat assignment of 1A was also made.

In which booking class were you upgraded? Did you collect miles as well?

B747-437B May 20, 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Armin_D (Post 26655492)
In which booking class were you upgraded? Did you collect miles as well?

Miles as per original booking class.

Boarding pass was reissued in C.

sushimaru Nov 23, 2016 9:17 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 26655507)
Miles as per original booking class.

Boarding pass was reissued in C.

Can I ask you to which airline's mileage program did you credit the miles to?

B747-437B Nov 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by sushimaru (Post 27518513)
Can I ask you to which airline's mileage program did you credit the miles to?

Turkish.

sushimaru Nov 24, 2016 2:08 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 27521342)
Turkish.

Excellent, me too. I was worried it may be upgraded to "P" (0% accumulation) but seems that was not the case.