Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:54 am

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
Trying to auction for an upgrade on ADD - VIE and VIE - ADD on an NDJ - ADD - VIE - ZRH journey. The system tells me there is no availability (never happened before). I realized when I went into "Manage my booking" that the ticket was and is still pending.

Could that be the reason why there is no availability? Ticket has been booked more than two weeks ago, should I be worried ? I know that usually you see the amount paid for the ticket, on my booking everything is blank. It says the trip is booked but next to the record locator (pending). Can anyone help? I checked, the booking also appears on OS (flying VIE - ZRH). Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Mr.Potato
Trying to auction for an upgrade on ADD - VIE and VIE - ADD on an NDJ - ADD - VIE - ZRH journey. The system tells me there is no availability (never happened before). I realized when I went into "Manage my booking" that the ticket was and is still pending.

Could that be the reason why there is no availability? Ticket has been booked more than two weeks ago, should I be worried ? I know that usually you see the amount paid for the ticket, on my booking everything is blank. It says the trip is booked but next to the record locator (pending). Can anyone help? I checked, the booking also appears on OS (flying VIE - ZRH). Thanks in advance!
The ET software often does strange things. I take the issue here is not about the upgrade but whether your ticket is actually issued or not? Best would be to call the international ET phone no, they are usually very helpful.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Actually was able to bid after the 'normal' 48 hour window, which was odd - and it was still open for bidding when I checked this morning (T-28 hours to departure)

LLW-ADD (H) : $160 (359) - successful
ADD-IAD (H) : $1390 (77W) - no bid
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Some recent data points.

LLW-ADD (H) : $170 (788) - successful
ADD-ACC (H) : $370 (359) - no bid
ACC-ADD (Q) : $530 (359) - no bid
ADD-DAR (Q) : $170 (73G) - no bid
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: LH Silver, IHG Gold
JNB-ADD (738) - 380 USD no bid
ADD-EWR (788) - 800 USD accepted
YYZ-ADD (359) - 840 USD no bid
ADD-JNB (788) - 380 USD no bid

it was possible to bid until 24 hours before departure. I got the email about 22 hours before. The ticket was reissued into booking class Z, which would earn no miles, however I got the original booking class O credit posted to my TK account.
Warning 1: the check in staff at JNB was unable to issue the boarding pass for my upgraded 2nd segment, they only put me on standby. It was only in ADD that I got the seats assigned by the lounge agent.
Warning 2: regardless if you upgrade or not, watch out for aircraft swaps. The aircraft type on JNB-ADD changed 4 times since the time I checked in online and boarded.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
I don't have any PNRs to check this on at the moment, but Ethiopian is now advertising a 25% discount on upgrade bids. Text reads "25% Discount, upgrade yourself to business class from all online Ethiopian Destination"

No details provided on the time frame that this is valid for.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa...-to-cloud-nine
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:29 am
Original Poster

BLZ-ADD (H) : $250 (738) - no bid
ADD-BLZ (H) : $250 (738) - successful
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by b_magee
I don't have any PNRs to check this on at the moment, but Ethiopian is now advertising a 25% discount on upgrade bids. Text reads "25% Discount, upgrade yourself to business class from all online Ethiopian Destination"

No details provided on the time frame that this is valid for.

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa...-to-cloud-nine
Doesn't seem to work. Just done LHR-ADD (GBP 650-accepted.. minimums are high due to the stupid UK departure tax).. anyway, the minimum/maximums appeared the same as they were a few weeks ago (so no discount there).. and when the bid goes through, it goes through at the amount you bid..no discount applied.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Would be interested to know if this is really a 25% discount on the normal bid offers?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
original fare, aircraft, minimal bids:

TLV-ADD (K) B738 445$
ADD-CPT (K) B789 285$
CPT-ADD (H) B788 385$
ADD-TLV (H) B788 445$
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:31 am

Flying on 2nd December. Imade an online bid for ADD - ACC about a month ago. I bid $360 although minimum bid was $325. I got the option to check in 72 hours before which I've done. Will that affect my bid as I've seen people say after winning you can't do an online check in? Its past 48 hours to departure and no email yet expert flyer shows only 7 out of 30 Business class seats are occupied. Still hope for me? Should I modify my bid downwards with many empty seats?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:05 am

Upgrade Bids Experience Ethiopian

First time posting, read the forums often though. On a flight to ADD-LON and wanted to process an upgrade bid.
I have submitted a bid a little over minium and immediately got an email saying "You have been outbid on our flight"
Your flight is fast approaching
Thank you for your offer to upgrade to Business Class. This is a very popular flight, and other guests have made higher offers. Update your offer to secure your upgrade.

Do you think this is a trap to get me to pay more to secure or am i really not going to get an upgrade if i done increase my bid. Anyone with this experience on ethiopian?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by captaindreadable
First time posting, read the forums often though. On a flight to ADD-LON and wanted to process an upgrade bid.
I have submitted a bid a little over minium and immediately got an email saying "You have been outbid on our flight"
Your flight is fast approaching
Thank you for your offer to upgrade to Business Class. This is a very popular flight, and other guests have made higher offers. Update your offer to secure your upgrade.

Do you think this is a trap to get me to pay more to secure or am i really not going to get an upgrade if i done increase my bid. Anyone with this experience on ethiopian?
Huge amount of data points in the other thread here : Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

Bottom line - the minimum bid has ALWAYS been enough to secure the upgrade if seats are available.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:26 am

Thanks for the reply. And yes it definetly seems like a well worded enoucouragement to seny you an email saying you have been "OUTBID" it doenst mean that you wont get the upgrade.

Gonna reduce down and hope for the best

currently bidding:
$30 above min for a ADD_LHR leg
and
$5 above min for a LHR-ADD leg
will updadte on that happens current seat map shows quite a lot of availablity. fingers crossed

Originally Posted by Kwadan
Flying on 2nd December. Imade an online bid for ADD - ACC about a month ago. I bid $360 although minimum bid was $325. I got the option to check in 72 hours before which I've done. Will that affect my bid as I've seen people say after winning you can't do an online check in? Its past 48 hours to departure and no email yet expert flyer shows only 7 out of 30 Business class seats are occupied. Still hope for me? Should I modify my bid downwards with many empty seats?
what happened to you here in the end?
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 26, 2022 at 8:34 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member, suggest Multi-Quote feature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.