Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Norwegian is not giving up on the Dreamliner, nor on long haul it seems

http://atwonline.com/airframes/norwe...ur-787-9s-ilfc
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
There's a study floating around the internet that budget long hual simply isn't profitable
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, it doesn't hurt to try... the downside for DY is minimal.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:58 am

Norwegian replaces Dreamliner with 777-200ER by Euro Atlantic... how mad should I be?

Just got a text from Norwegian, flight DY7006 from JFK-ARN will be operated by a 777-200ER from Euro Atlantic due to maintenance on the Dreamliner - they are offering a free rebooking or full refund.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerhog
There's a study floating around the internet that budget long hual simply isn't profitable
Did the study take into consideration operating out of Ireland with temp contracts from Singapore and Latvia? If Norwegian is allowed to pull out all the stops and continue with the planned setup they might very well pull it off. And of course get some stability to the 787 operations, with a bigger fleet.

In the latest quarter long haul made a loss of 216 million NOK (35 million USD) according to the media after the earnings release. So there is still a bit of way to go before profitability.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:23 am

Does any other operator offer free rebooking or full refund when one aircraft type is changed to a different one? Amazing service from Norwegian!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by vinjar
Does any other operator offer free rebooking or full refund when one aircraft type is changed to a different one? Amazing service from Norwegian!
In the case of Norwegian, operating intercontinental flights on time, and with the advertised equipment, would be considered "amazing"...
Which part of Norwegian do you work for?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by vinjar
Kind of a weird first post (very suspicious...), but this isn't a terrible point. Other airlines advertise the Dreamliner heavily and have had equipment changes. Haven't heard of this kind of generosity.

United, to their credit, appeared sympathetic, but I don't think that they were granting full refunds:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iles-back.html

Oh, and even if you're a Norwegian marketing employee...Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Last edited by ChicagoAlex; Feb 17, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
In the case of Norwegian, operating intercontinental flights on time, and with the advertised equipment, would be considered "amazing"...
Which part of Norwegian do you work for?
Which airline do you work for? Because of course, if you praise Norwegian you therefore work for them, so if you criticise them you must work for one of their competitors...

Norwegian Long Haul has been a shambles, but I hardly see how they can be criticised for replacing their faulty plane with a fully-working one. As has been said, I've never heard of any other airline offering free re-routing or a full refund just because they changed the type of plane you're flying on...

Assuming those booked in premium economy are assigned business class seats - this is actually an upgrade. For everyone else - is there really an enormous difference between a 777 and 787? How many people booked the flights so they could get on a 787 as opposed to it just being the cheapest option available? Not many I'd wager.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
Which airline do you work for? Because of course, if you praise Norwegian you therefore work for them, so if you criticise them you must work for one of their competitors...
If someone joins FlyerTalk just to praise Norwegian for trying to cover up their screw-ups, it's obvious what's going on. @:-)
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
And of course get some stability to the 787 operations, with a bigger fleet.

Which is not likely anytime soon. The brand new 787 scheduled for CPH-LAX/JFK starting end next week is still doing test flights for Boeing - and there seems to be no room for training flights with DY crew on European routes. A recipe for delays?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Which is not likely anytime soon. The brand new 787 scheduled for CPH-LAX/JFK starting end next week is still doing test flights for Boeing - and there seems to be no room for training flights with DY crew on European routes. A recipe for delays?
Don't worry, Norwegian will offer "amazing service" by rebooking or refunding travelers if the new aircraft isn't ready...
Who needs proper planning as long as you can advertise low fares, huh?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EI-LND had first flight (B1) on 15FEB, I doubt it will see service next week.

BTW, no need for training flights with each new aircraft delivery, the crew(s) are already certified and have the required number of check flights. Any teething trouble of new aircraft are supposedly rectified before delivery
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
How do you find out which aircraft will be doing which route? I wonder if this is the same aircraft that will be flying to ARN and OSL out of OAK?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Before summer season, they should have seven 787's which would certainly help. I think they've just been too optimistic in putting them into service. Still, its pretty amazing some of the prices they got. My relative flew RT JFK-OSL for 480 dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.