Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787 Flight Equipment Change - Can I DOWNgrade and get my miles back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors

I booked a flight on the 787 Dreamliner. I was so excited to be on this new aircraft that I upgraded to first (using miles) even though it's only a 3 hour flight. I just checked my res again and now it's a 747. Since it's only a 3 hour flight, it's silly to waste 20K miles to sit in first. Can I downgrade and get my miles refunded?

Actually, what's weird is my itin shows 767 (not 747, sorry, typo) but the seat map is titled 787 (even though it is NOT the seatmap of the 787).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:10 am Reason: merge and updated thread title
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by karatelovr
I booked a flight on the 787 Dreamliner. I was so excited to be on this new aircraft that I upgraded to first (using miles) even though it's only a 3 hour flight. I just checked my res again and now it's a 747. Since it's only a 3 hour flight, it's silly to waste 20K miles to sit in first. Can I downgrade and get my miles refunded?
I doubt it.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Yes, most likely, you will be able to. Have you received an email stating the change of air frames? there is a special number in the email to call into a special desk for 787 changes, they will fix the situation.

I was booked DCA-EWR-IAH-SNA with EWR-IAH on the 787, downgraded to a 767. Just got off the phone with the desk to change routing to DCA-ORD-SFO-IAH to fly the 787 ORD-IAH
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sidestep
Yes, most likely, you will be able to. Have you received an email stating the change of air frames? there is a special number in the email to call into a special desk for 787 changes, they will fix the situation.

I was booked DCA-EWR-IAH-SNA with EWR-IAH on the 787, downgraded to a 767. Just got off the phone with the desk to change routing to DCA-ORD-SFO-IAH to fly the 787 ORD-IAH
No, I never received notification about an equipment change. I just logged in to change my F aisle to an F window (to play with the new larger windows and how they don't have shades - I'm such a geek) and saw that the seat map looked different - didn't have the "cocoon" drawing of a seat, just regular square. Went back to my intinerary and saw the 767. This was IAH to EWR.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
No, I never received notification about an equipment change. I just logged in to change my F aisle to an F window (to play with the new larger windows and how they don't have shades - I'm such a geek) and saw that the seat map looked different - didn't have the "cocoon" drawing of a seat, just regular square. Went back to my intinerary and saw the 767. This was IAH to EWR.
I would PM the number to you, but you have elected not to be able to receive private messages?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I would PM the number to you, but you have elected not to be able to receive private messages?
I checked my settings, it's allowed. I've even received others. weird.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:38 am

I checked my settings, it's allowed. I've even received others. weird.
Weird indeed. This is what I see when trying to send you a message. Perhaps, some other member can send you the number

karatelovr has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove karatelovr from the recipient list and send the message again.

Try asking in this thread 787 Domestic Schedule routes update
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Is there a chance the metal will change back to 787? Should I wait before requesting economy?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:44 am

Is there a chance the metal will change back to 787? Should I wait before requesting economy?
Out of CLE, I would say slim to none. Out of one of the other bigger hubs, one would have a slightly better chance, but still a far off remote chance at that.

What is your itinerary? If you want to fly on the 787 in first, try routeing through one of the other hubs that has service.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Out of CLE, I would say slim to none. Out of one of the other bigger hubs, one would have a slightly better chance, but still a far off remote chance at that.

What is your itinerary? If you want to fly on the 787 in first, try routeing through one of the other hubs that has service.
I'm trying to get from IAH to MDT. It's my return trip. The IAH to EWR was the 787 originally (and then puddle jump to Harrisburg).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:55 am

I'm trying to get from IAH to MDT. It's my return trip. The IAH to EWR was the 787 originally (and then puddle jump to Harrisburg).
I would look to see if the 787 is operating on the day you are travelling from IAH-ORD, then either you can route ORD-MDT, or ORD-EWR-MDT.

This is of course all hypothetical assuming united agrees to work magic behind the scenes with revenue management/ award space. I cant say that i know how they will receive the request since you are using miles; however, if they are as accommodating as they were with me, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.