Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of Date/Time/Carrier changes. Phrase now used is changes to ticketed points
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QRs Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Thanks for checking Calchas

I agree that the list cannot be considered exhaustive - because the rule states "e.g."

So essentially AKL and CBR have been added to the list of example
QR started flying to AKL sometime earlier this year
And checking in EF, it appears QR will commence flying to CBR in February next year

(now I need to update the New or Changed Routes and Services thread)
allset2travel and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
And checking in EF, it appears QR will commence flying to CBR in February next year
I am slightly surprised that CBR can handle international traffic ...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I thought that SQ is flying to CBR from SIN. Is SIN domestic, did I miss something?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I thought that SQ is flying to CBR from SIN. Is SIN domestic
SIN-CBR is not domestic

It surprised me that's all
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

SIN-CBR is not domestic

It surprised me that's all
Yes, it surprised me too
I can't see where the traffic would be coming from to support this service

IIRC the SQ service SIN-CBR carries on to another destination (in NZ perhaps?)
So that service might be more viable than one that terminates in CBR
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it surprised me too

Looking into it: This is a SYD-CBR tag to evade capacity restrictions. QR is only allowed one nonstop flight to SYD each day but they are allowed more if the flight serves minor Australian cities.

CBR may have offered a sweetener as well.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
SIN-xCBR-WLG & vv. Capital to Capital?

Return CBR-WLG can be had in economy for AUD410 and Business for AUD916 - the latter an interesting way to garner 120 of Velocity Status.

Those fares indicate lowish loadings on the tag.

But I digress ...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: QFF
Yes, it surprised me too

CBR has been able to handle international traffic for years. The runways and taxiways were upgraded in the 90s to handle 747s when Clinton visited. There has been customs/immigration staff based at the airport for just as long.
There were a number of scheduled international flights to NZ and other south pacific nations through the 90s and early 00s with temporary immigration processing equipment rolled out when such a flight was at the terminal.
Adding permanent international capacity was planned as part of the terminal redevelopment with a location set aside for the needed facilities which was then fitted out when SQ announced their flights.
SQ291/292 SIN-CBR-WLG operates 4 times/week. SQ calls it the "Capital Express".

Looking into it: This is a SYD-CBR tag to evade capacity restrictions. QR is only allowed one nonstop flight to SYD each day but they are allowed more if the flight serves minor Australian cities.

CBR may have offered a sweetener as well.
CBR was surprised when QR first announced that they were looking at flying to CBR on their 2018 wishlist.

The standard Australian air services treaty limits either seats or flights per week to the 4 major ports (PER/MEL/SYD/BNE) while other ports (such as ADL/CBR/CNS/OOL/etc) are unlimited. (eg, Hong Kong is allowed 70 flights/week. CX is using all of them, but could add more flights to CBR, ADL, OOL if they wanted to)
The current agreement with Qatar is limited to 21 flights/week for the major ports with an allowance for 7 more provided those 7 are to/via an unlimited port. QRs allowance is taken by daily flights to PER, MEL and SYD. SYD was added when the limit was raised from 14 to 21.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
SIN-xCBR-WLG & vv. Capital to Capital?

Return CBR-WLG can be had in economy for AUD410 and Business for AUD916 - the latter an interesting way to garner 120 of Velocity Status.

Those fares indicate lowish loadings on the tag.

But I digress ...
As usual, even lower fares for trans-Tasman ex-NZ.

Yes SQ loads on CBR-WLG vv are generally low (and mostly passengers flying to/from SIN and beyond). More info in the thread for this route in the SQ forum.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I am currently attempting to add one continent and change routing to an existing AA ticketed DONE4 ex-CAI. I have flown 2 segments and 14 remain... well, I have actually flown 3 segments, but they will count as 2 segments, I was protected with an extra connection in AMM due to the QR ban.

Segments flown (will count as 2 segments):
CAI-xAMM-xDOH-JFK

New routing changes for the remaining 14 segments :
JFK-LAX-xDFW-JFK-xMIA-CCS-xMIA-xJFK-NRT-CGK-xNRT-HKG-MAD-JNB-DOH

Called the AA RTW desk today and they declined to make the following routing change as it is not allowed:
CCS-xMIA-xJFK-NRT

Soon into the conversation they stated that the new 2 stopover rule for North America will not apply in my case, and that they have to go with the rules at the time of ticketing (November 2016). That is, the old rules discussed earlier in this thread - only one stopover and one transfer. Which works for me, as I do not need to make a second stopover in North America, only transfer to reach Asia.

But what they refer to as "one transfer" is actually one single connectio. AA only flies to CCS from MIA and there are no OW direct flights from MIA to Asia.

Is AA RTW desk correct about this? I thought we could have more than one connection during a North America "transfer", as long as the connecting flights were under 24hr and you had enough North American segments available.

After about 1 hour on the phone with no flexibility on their part, I said that I would call back once I reviewed the old rules in more detail. I do not have the November 2016 rules, I wonder if any if you have them and could share some insights on this issue...

Thanks
OzTraveller likes this.

Last edited by stex; Sep 27, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by stex
But what they refer to as "one transfer" is actually one single connectio. AA only flies to CCS from MIA and there are no OW direct flights from MIA to Asia.
I'm interested too - AA gave me the same response a few years ago. I was on a tight reticketing timeline so changed my route slightly instead but I *think* I've done a 2 domestic segment transit before (5+ years back if so).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

This has been discussed before in this forum
- whether the rule's wording "provided one is a transfer without without stopover" (my emphasis)
- means a single transfer of less than 24 hrs
- or multiple transfers each of which is less than 24hrs

Some have reported being allowed multiple transfers
but others have reported being refused

FWIW (very little) I have always been of the view that the rule means a single transfer

However, stex in your particular case AA175 and AA61 are your friends.
Each is a direct service MIA-NRT with a stop and plane change in DFW.
But for the purpose of a Oneworld Explorer they count as a single segment
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:55 am

And Sarah, retired from AA and formerly the AA RTW guru, said that a connection without transfer means 1 city. Full stop.
The info that the rules in effect when purchased seems to dispel any notions of using new and 'better' rules when they are updated.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I have always been of the view that the rule means a single transfer.
Originally Posted by headinclouds
And Sarah, retired from AA and formerly the AA RTW guru, said that a connection without transfer means 1 city. Full stop.
The info that the rules in effect when purchased seems to dispel any notions of using new and 'better' rules when they are updated.
That would have been BA's interpretation in my day too: one connection only. We would also have used the historic rules as filed in Amadeus or ATPCo.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
aa61 is MIA NRT (1 stop)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.