Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SDandi
I'd like to make a change to my husband's DONE4.
Are you going to tell him, or let it be a surprise for when he gets to the airport and checks in?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:48 pm

Question What booking method do folks recommend?

I've been enjoying planning my first RTW (a Sept departure) for while now and am finally about ready to actually take the leap on purchasing it. I've read a lot of comments on here about different booking options but am a bit confused about whether/how things have changed over the years. How would folks recommend I book this itinerary? (Background: I live in the USA, only speak English, am an AA member w/ no status, this is a leisure RTW not a mileage run, and I will only be arriving to JNB a week before departing)
  1. JJ | JNB-GRU
  2. JJ | GRU-EZE
  3. LA | EZE-SCL
  4. LA | SCL-IPC
  5. LA | IPC-SCL
  6. QF | SCL-SYD
  7. QF | SYD-BKK
  8. surface sector
  9. MH | KUL-DEL
  10. JL | DEL-NRT
  11. JL | NRT-PEK
  12. CX | PEK-HKG
  13. RJ | HKG-AMM
  14. RJ | AMM-BCN
  15. surface sector
  16. BA | LGW-MRU

So far, I've been thinking about:
  • Calling AA (is there still an RTW desk–if so how do I find that number?) - Not sure if it's currently unlikely they would book it for me with no AA flights.
  • Calling QF (general number, I think, is only option?)
  • Booking it via the online RTW tool with LHR-JNB as the last flight and later pay the change fee to correct the itinerary.
  • Or, alternatively, is there a way to just partially book it online and then call someone and have them change that final flight pre-ticketing? Does AA still ticket on behalf of JJ when using the online tool?

Thanks very much in advance for the advice - and also feel free to point out any glaring oversights in my itinerary!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The possibilities of changes to a exCAI xONEx are becoming interesting.
1. The AA schedule changes when matched with separate bookings (mixture of award and paid) for one's partner.
2. QR insisting that if it flies the intercontinental routes, they won't ticket someone else.

I finally resolved the trans-Pacific schedule mis-connect with the help of the AA RTW desk (though only because we both mis-connected). But kudos to the person manning the RTW phone line for the interest in resolving it with the AA award area (though I had to find the QF award flights domestically)

Now if I could just get another airline to re-issue rather than saying QR must make the changes.

Again only wandering

Fred
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by VaguelyCynical
I've been enjoying planning my first RTW for while now and am finally about ready to actually take the leap on purchasing it.... [snip]
1. JJ | JNB-GRU
... [snip]
14. RJ | AMM-BCN
15. surface sector
16. BA | LGW-MRU
So far, I've been thinking about:
  • Calling AA (is there still an RTW desk–if so how do I find that number?) - Not sure if it's currently unlikely they would book it for me with no AA flights.
Should be able to use AA, despite no AA segs. I wasn't able to find their number looking quickly, sorry.

• Calling QF (general number, I think, is only option?)
Could do that. Or BA.

• Booking it via the online RTW tool with LHR-JNB as the last flight and later pay the change fee to correct the itinerary.
Any reason why not just book it how you want it to begin with? Now if the online tool won't do surface sectors then okay - but if that's the case, wouldn't surface sector 8 affect you too?

• Or, alternatively, is there a way to just partially book it online and then call someone and have them change that final flight pre-ticketing? Does AA still ticket on behalf of JJ when using the online tool?
You can't partially book because the tool validates the itinerary, to make sure it qualifies. If the tool does error, it'll be to say something's wrong with an itin that should be valid - don't think we've had any reports of errors in our favour where something gets through that shouldn't...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
AA RTW is 1-800-247-3247
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:39 pm

Thanks, JAXBA and skunker! Will report back after I give it a shot.

Any reason why not just book it [online] how you want it to begin with?
I get an error with the online tool with any itinerary ending at a different location than it began (even though starting in JNB and ending in MRU is obviously permitted).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Thanks, JAXBA and skunker! Will report back after I give it a shot.

I get an error with the online tool with any itinerary ending at a different location than it began (even though starting in JNB and ending in MRU is obviously permitted).
Maybe the online tool is getting the S. Africa/ Mauritius rule confused. You aren't hitting Europe/ME twice, so it shouldn't matter.
A. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN AFRICA
//AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-RTW-EUROPE/MIDDLE
EAST-AFRICA//
- ONE OF THE VISITS TO EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST
BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA
AND THE PREVIOUS/NEXT CONTINENT
- IF TRAVEL TO/FROM EUROPE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS
THE ITINERARY MAY NOT INCLUDE MAURITIUS/SOUTH
AFRICA.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Since you're losing a segment by transiting LHR/LGW have you considered just flying LHR-JNB and then JNB-MRU? I know it's a four hour flight on a 737, but it seems to give you another option (as well as more miles) and you will have a long (more comfortable) segment on a 747/380.

Edit: I see your surface segment is BCN-LGW rather than simply transiting LHR/LGW. So obviously you're only left with that one segment so obviously my suggestion wouldn't work unless you could get to MAD rather than BCN. Just a thought. :-)

Last edited by rollthere; Mar 25, 2017 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
OTA to book complex OW trip

I am looking to book a multileg all OW HKG-AKL-LIM-MAD-PVG-SGN and I just see priceline showing it but then it doesnt process after putting in the card details and its not a card issue for sure. Any pointers where to book it?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Via a travel agent?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Raul2014
I am looking to book a multileg all OW HKG-AKL-LIM-MAD-PVG-SGN and I just see priceline showing it but then it doesnt process after putting in the card details and its not a card issue for sure. Any pointers where to book it?
I have found that the online booking sites don't know how to use these specialized OW global fares. The default tends to be the sum of one way fares for each segment.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by noirvie
Alternatively, since I'm not familiar with it, under what circumstances can I have another carrier to take over the ticket? Are they going to be happy to do so, will the notes in the booking (QF are quoting 'the ticketing desk has already noted this in the booking' as though it's final) cause problems at another carrier, and so on?
In theory, any OneWorld airline can take over the ticket. In practice, some are much more willing to do so than others, and it certainly helps if they have flights in the ticket. AA RTW desk is quite good, but they won't touch an ex-CAI ticket that was issued after they pulled the fare. Other reports are that CX did a nice job in person at HKG, although it took quite a few hours (the poster had an 8-hour transit).

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
The possibilities of changes to a exCAI xONEx are becoming interesting.
1. The AA schedule changes when matched with separate bookings (mixture of award and paid) for one's partner.
2. QR insisting that if it flies the intercontinental routes, they won't ticket someone else.

I finally resolved the trans-Pacific schedule mis-connect with the help of the AA RTW desk (though only because we both mis-connected). But kudos to the person manning the RTW phone line for the interest in resolving it with the AA award area (though I had to find the QF award flights domestically)

Now if I could just get another airline to re-issue rather than saying QR must make the changes.
I assume this was issued after AA pulled the fare? AA RTW told me that's why they couldn't take over my ex-CAI ticket. Can your original ticketing airline make the date/time changes?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:34 am

Smile Successfully booked first RTW!

As promised, reporting back now that my RTW is (finally) successfully ticketed. This is my first, and I can't emphasize enough how essential FT was to making this – and my now-upcoming yearlong vacation – a reality. Thanks to all the experts here who are so generous with their knowledge!

The short version: After a few phone calls and a lot of messages with their Twitter support team, Qantas successfully ticketed my ex-JNB LONE5 for only a little more $ than the online tool (which errored out every time) indicated it should be.

The long version:
  1. First Attempt - Call with QF (30 min) - Agent said they had no way to book any RTW if the website didn't work, and that if there was an error at payment it meant the itinerary was invalid in some way.
  2. Second Attempt - Call with AA RTW Desk (15 min) - Agent said it was impossible for AA to ticket any RTW without an over-ocean marketed by AA.
  3. Third Attempt - Call with QF (3 hours) - Got lucky and got an agent who was willing to try hard to make it work. We spent the first hour walking through my full itinerary in the online tool to "prove" that it was a payment-related error, not an invalid itinerary. Spent the second hour mostly on hold while she manually constructed that itinerary in a different system. And then spent the third hour in a game of telephone between me, her, and the rate desk as they claimed a number of new reasons my itinerary wasn't valid (detailed below). Call ended when I asked the primary agent to allow me to speak to the rate desk agent - I was transferred and while introducing myself she hung up on me.
    • Royal Jordanian isn't a Oneworld carrier.
    • You can't start and end in different parts of Africa. (pointed out the exception in the rules)
    • You can only start/end in different parts of Africa if you also have an intra-Africa segment as part of your overall itinerary.
    • The website says "additional terms and conditions may apply" so we can say no to whatever we want.
    • Mauritius is an island so it's not actually part of Africa (or any other continent).
    • "I looked at a map with my supervisor and Mauritius is clearly not part of Africa."
    • You can only book to Mauritius using a travel agent, it's impossible for us.
  4. Fourth Attempt - Call with QF (2 hours) - Called back immediately and somehow was lucky enough to get an agent who knew the agent I just spent 3 hours on the phone with and was willing to find out from her where my itinerary was temporarily saved. She tried one more time with the rate desk - who again told her Mauritius wasn't part of Africa - and then I gave up and had her take my payment with LHR-JNB as the final segment instead of LGW-MRU.
  5. Success! - Messages with Qantas Twitter Support - At this point I wrote a direct message to QF's Twitter support succinctly detailing the above and asking for help. They took over my reservation and over the next 24 hours figured out that I was correct it was valid and promised they'd figure out how to ticket the itinerary with MRU in it. It took a full week from first message to receiving my ticketing confirmation, but was so much less painful than any more calls.

The final price (3080 USD including taxes/fees) was a little higher than expected from the online tool (2954 USD including taxes/fees) but oh well. I was curious and figured out the price difference was mainly due to an additional YQ charge of $120 - couldn't figure out which flight that came from.

If I had this to do over again I think I would have simply gotten a QF agent to the point where the itinerary was input manually into their system & had a record locator and then switched to Twitter messages for the full pricing/questions back and forth. When I need to change dates for the second-half of my RTW I'll try just messaging them the changes I want.

One other note I hadn't seen posted here, so sharing in case it's not well-known: While you can only select seats for LA flights on LATAM.com - not JJ flights - you can select seats for your JJ flights on the RJ website.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
As promised, reporting back now that my RTW is (finally) successfully ticketed. This is my first, and I can't emphasize enough how essential FT was to making this – and my now-upcoming yearlong vacation – a reality. Thanks to all the experts here who are so generous with their knowledge!

. . .
What an extraordinary tale. It's almost unfathomable how difficult oneworld makes it.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Via a travel agent?
Christep: I notice that you regularly tell people to use a travel agent as the answer to oneworld booking problems. Do you represent one or more?

I've found that many TAs just don't want the bother of dealing with RTWs - the rewards are too slender for the hassle involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.