Wiki Posts
Search

FYI recent experiences booking an ex-CPT DONE5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by anabolism
Did the fuel surcharges go up a lot when you switched the first flight from QR to BA and ticketed via BA?
Impossible for me to say, since I never got as far as having a priced itinerary from either AA or QR against which I could compare the BA price
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
British Airways
I tweaked my itinerary slightly (to start CPT-xJNB-xDOH…) so that I could use the on-line tool to book it (it now has BA as the first carrier).

Got the BA record locator from the tool, phoned BA’s JNB office and paid. The whole process only took a few hours.
Thanks for posting this, glad you managed to get it sorted in the end. ^
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth

British Airways
I tweaked my itinerary slightly (to start CPT-xJNB-xDOH…) so that I could use the on-line tool to book it (it now has BA as the first carrier).

Got the BA record locator from the tool, phoned BA’s JNB office and paid. The whole process only took a few hours......
Do you mean the tool at https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/?
Do you have a BA JNB phone number, please?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Full Score
I believe so.
Do you have a BA JNB phone number, please?
See:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-za/...cts/contact-us

You can change the country for britishairways.com near the top right of the home page. You can then look for country specific phone numbers.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
See:

You can change the country for britishairways.com near the top right of the home page. You can then look for country specific phone numbers.
Thank you, Jerry. Most helpful.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Yes
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:17 am

See:

Like others in this thread I have reached a dead end at the end of the booking procedure using the online tool. It accepts my complete 16-leg itinerary beginning and ending in CPT, and allows me to select all the flights and dates I want (except, as noted above, BA, AA & JL code shares are never offered).

I enter my name, BA FF# and phone number (in US) and proceed to book it, but I receive an error message. I've tried changing my FF# to AA, and tried putting in the BA JNB phone number so that it appears to be a South African one, but to no avail.

I want to phone the BA JNB number to get it issued, but without a BA locator number it would appear to be a waste of time.

Dealing initially with BA US is a real pain, and BA UK won't usually help when they see that I am a BA Exec US member.

Any ideas welcome, PLEASE.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like others in this thread I have reached a dead end at the end of the booking procedure using the online tool. It accepts my complete 16-leg itinerary beginning and ending in CPT, and allows me to select all the flights and dates I want (except, as noted above, BA, AA & JL code shares are never offered).
Yes I think that is a restriction in the tool. If you want the codeshares, you can take them, where they are legally permitted, but not through the tool.

I enter my name, BA FF# and phone number (in US) and proceed to book it, but I receive an error message. I've tried changing my FF# to AA, and tried putting in the BA JNB phone number so that it appears to be a South African one, but to no avail.

I want to phone the BA JNB number to get it issued, but without a BA locator number it would appear to be a waste of time.

Dealing initially with BA US is a real pain, and BA UK won't usually help when they see that I am a BA Exec US member.

Any ideas welcome, PLEASE.
What is the error message you see?

You could try contacting the mindpearl agent and get AA to ticket it?

If you really want BA, what if you decline to give them your FF#? (To begin with)

However I would be astonished if the telephone agents can handle a RTW itinerary.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes I think that is a restriction in the tool. If you want the codeshares, you can take them, where they are legally permitted, but not through the tool.
The problem is that the codeshares might not be available in the needed booking code (while the normal flight code is), if the codeshare is even programmed into the tool at all.

There are a lot of codeshares that appear in the oneworld timetable, but are simply not programmed into the RTW booking tool.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:05 pm

What is the error message you see?
Just a generic: "try again later"

If you really want BA, what if you decline to give them your FF#? (To begin with)
An FF# is mandatory in order to proceed to the next page.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
DONE5 becomes DONE4 at AA

We booked a DONE5 from South Africa early autumn last year and flew to Europe in September.

In November we changed the routing from HEL-LHR-(DXB)-SYD to HEL-HKG-SYD, paid the small taxes and change fee.

Now I changed our flights in Asia (SYD-HKG-... to SYD-NRT-...) and AA wants $2000 + change fee because the ticket was rated as DONE4 instead of DONE5, referring to Cape Town having done the mistake.

The original price was about the same as with the online booking, and I'm 100% sure the base fare was for DONE5. The most logical explanation is that as we had left Africa, it has somehow been changed to DONE4 when we did the change in November.

Any suggestions how to get this solved? I told the AA ATW Desk to send it back to pricing for double checking, hopefully she wrote down my comments, and I'll call Cape Town as soon as they wake up.

Even if they really had made the mistake, the $2000 is more likely the difference between DONE4 and DONE5 in the US as it's only $800 in South Africa.

Also would appricipate if anyone has a memory if the DONE4/5 prices have gone up from ZA since September.

Last edited by ojala; Feb 25, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It is hard to say if your booking is a DONE4 or DONE5 without the entire routing. If it was incorrectly priced then I wouldn't make any further changes unless you want to pay the difference.

What is your routing? AFR-EUR-ASIA-SWP-EUR-AFR or AFR-EUR-ASIA-SWP-ASIA-NA-EUR-AFR?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

It is hard to say if your booking is a DONE4 or DONE5 without the entire routing. If it was incorrectly priced then I wouldn't make any further changes unless you want to pay the difference.

What is your routing? AFR-EUR-ASIA-SWP-EUR-AFR or AFR-EUR-ASIA-SWP-ASIA-NA-EUR-AFR?
Sorry for leaving that out, the original route was JNB-LHR-HEL-LHR-(DXB)-SYD-HKG-RGN-HKG-NRT-HNL-DFW-SJO-DFW-SEA-JFK-DOH-JNB.

We changed HEL-LHR-SYD to HEL-HKG-SYD in November and now I was trying to change SYD-HKG-RGN-HKG-NRT to SYD-NRT-BKK-HKG-NRT.

Very much like DONE5 all the way. I got a more helpful lady at AA desk on third call and when we went through the booking I asked what happened in November (when we changed the SYD flight), she had an urge to call the rating desk. Let's see if they figure out something.

When I did the booking in September I'm pretty sure the base fare was the same DONE5 fare on the booking, in the online tool and on expertflyer.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ojala
I got a more helpful lady at AA desk on third call and when we went through the booking I asked what happened in November (when we changed the SYD flight), she had an urge to call the rating desk. Let's see if they figure out something.
Finished the call, the rating checked it again while I waited and found YQ (740 USD) and YR (421 USD) missing per person. I need to dig to my records from the autumn if I can find anything.

In November when we changed the HEL-LHR-SYD to HEL-HKG-SYD we paid the change fee and some taxes they found missing from the original booking.

Rest of the story was a bit doubtful as there weren't any concrete details, just how she'd like to throw ZA under the bus (although I made the booking the AA desk and it was only ticketed in ZA). They no longer said it was a DONE4 though.. Also still unclear why the total is unreal $4600 (for two).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ojala
Finished the call, the rating checked it again while I waited and found YQ (740 USD) and YR (421 USD) missing per person. I need to dig to my records from the autumn if I can find anything.

In November when we changed the HEL-LHR-SYD to HEL-HKG-SYD we paid the change fee and some taxes they found missing from the original booking.

Rest of the story was a bit doubtful as there weren't any concrete details, just how she'd like to throw ZA under the bus (although I made the booking the AA desk and it was only ticketed in ZA). They no longer said it was a DONE4 though.. Also still unclear why the total is unreal $4600 (for two).
YQ and YR missing from which legs? Have you already flown them?

AA is just going to take that money and pocket it. It won't be passed onto the intended airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.