FYI recent experiences booking an ex-CPT DONE5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Yes I know that
My itinerary (both the original and the new one I want) satisfy 3.2.2
BA (or at least the last supervisor I spoke to) is saying that because the text I highlighted does not explicitly say the word 'Europe' then flights to/from the Europe Zone of the continent are not allowed
I'm saying the rule is only discussing the restrictions on the to/from Africa flights and do not restrict the intra-continent flights (the continent of Europe/Middle East that is)
By comparison, 3.2.3 DOES restrict the intra-continent flights - but my itinerary does not fall under that rule
I think the problem is Middle East and Europe are part of the same continent, so you do not have a transfer without stopover between Africa and the previous/next continent. You want to have stopover in CMN & OSL which are in the same continent as the Middle East.

Originally Posted by current xONEx rules from oneworld.com
For travel originating in Africa:
One of the following backtracks is permitted
Africa-Europe-RTW-Europe-Africa
One of the visits to Europe must be a
transfer without stopover between Africa
and the previous/next continent.
Travel may not include Mauritius/South Africa
Africa-Middle East-RTW-Middle East-Africa
One of the visits to Middle East must be a
transfer without stopover between Africa
and the previous/next continent.
Africa-Europe-RTW-Middle East-Africa
or
Africa-Middle East-RTW-Europe-Africa
Travel may not include any flown or surface sector
Between Europe and Middle East
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think the problem is Middle East and Europe are part of the same continent, so you do not have a transfer without stopover between Africa and the previous/next continent. You want to have stopover in CMN & OSL which are in the same continent as the Middle East.
My transfer without stopover was at the beginning of the itinerary:
CPT-JNB-xDOH-EZE....

And therefore I am allowed stopovers on my return to Europe/Middle East:
Originally: ...BKK-AMM-TUN-DOH-CMN-DOH-NBO
Now I want ...BKK-xDOH-CMN-xDOH-OSL-xDOH-NBO

So, originally I had stopovers in both zones - AMM and DOH in the Middle East Zone and TUN and CMN in the Europe Zone
Now, I want stopovers in just the Europe Zone - CMN and OSL, and just transits in the Middle East Zone at DOH
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

My transfer without stopover was at the beginning of the itinerary:
CPT-JNB-xDOH-EZE....
Apologies. Post 73 didn't have an x by DOH so I assumed that was a stopover.

Perhaps BA are confused by the 4 intra-continental sectors involving Middle East, given there is a UK specific rule that only permits 2 sectors between Middle East and UK?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

No the crux of the issue appears to be what I said in post #75:
BA (or at least the last supervisor I spoke to) is saying that because the text I highlighted does not explicitly say the word 'Europe' then flights to/from the Europe Zone of the continent are not allowed
And the text I highlighted is:
3.2.2 AFRICA-MIDDLE EAST-RTW-MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA ONE OF THE VISITS TO MIDDLE EAST MUST BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA AND THE PREVIOUS OR NEXT CONTINENT.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Anyone tried this with the AA RTW desk? I was wondering about the wording myself.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
No the crux of the issue appears to be what I said in post #75:
And the text I highlighted is:
3.2.2 AFRICA-MIDDLE EAST-RTW-MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA ONE OF THE VISITS TO MIDDLE EAST MUST BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA AND THE PREVIOUS OR NEXT CONTINENT.
My reading is that Europe is included in the "-RTW-" part. Have you tried pointing that out?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Anyone tried this with the AA RTW desk? I was wondering about the wording myself.
Have a look at the first post in this thread Doc

In brief
- the on-line tool allows intra-continental flights (that's how I booked it)
- but both AA and now BA ticketing people disallow these intra-continent flights
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
My reading is that Europe is included in the "-RTW-" part. Have you tried pointing that out?
No I haven't tried that (yet)

What I have been saying is that the wording is solely about the entry and exit to/from Africa and not about restricting the intra-continental flights

Otherwise you have the absurd situation (IMHO) where
3.2.1 allows only Europe Zone
3.2.2 allows only Middle East Zone, while
3.2.3 allows both

And in all three cases you are of course being charged the cost of having Europe/Middle East continent in the intinerary
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

The line I would take is ...

If it was intended to exclude Europe-Middle East sectors then it should have explicitly said so (per #3). Except where explicitly stated the rule is about entering the same continent twice, not about restrictions for travel within a continent (and Middle East/North Africa/Europe is all one continent for xONEx).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The line I would take is ...

If it was intended to exclude Europe-Middle East sectors then it should have explicitly said so (per #3). Except where explicitly stated the rule is about entering the same continent twice, not about restrictions for travel within a continent (and Middle East/North Africa/Europe is all one continent for xONEx).
I like the way you've expressed it
And I will use that in my next telephone conversation (probably on Monday if we can do it before I disappear into Burma/Myanmar for a month, where I expect communication to be significantly more difficult)
Do you want me to attribute the wording to you?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... I will use that in my next telephone conversation (probably on Monday if we can do it before I disappear into Burma/Myanmar for a month, where I expect communication to be significantly more difficult)
Please do let us know before you vanish. I'm in the process of planning an AONE3 (or maybe 4) for late November; and this would make a difference in the itinerary.

Also, if you're going to be in Bangkok on the way in or out, don't forget to check the Bangkok meetup thread!!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Do you want me to attribute the wording to you?

good luck
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:56 am
Original Poster

At BKK waiting to board my flight to RGN
have heard nothing back from BA, but it is only 12noon there
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

The online booking tool has been changed to now match the interpretation of BA (see post #75) and AA (see post #1)

In preparation for my next telephone conversation with BA, I thought I’d use the tool to setup a new itinerary to match the one I now want. Then I could say “Look the tool allows it as a new itinerary, so why won’t you allow me to change my itinerary to be the same?”, which in brief is:
CPT-JNB-xDOH-EZE…BKK-xDOH-CMN-xDOH-OSL-xDOH-NBO
(I have already flown as far as BKK)
Yesterday I setup and saved the itinerary, but it wouldn’t price up, instead showing some gobbledegook error number.
But today the tool flags it as an invalid itinerary stating
Your itinerary cannot include any flown or surface sector between Europe and Middle East. Choose another route and update your itinerary.
So I’m now wondering what will happen to my requested change – my expectation is that it will be disallowed, but will they now turn around and say that my original itinerary was invalid and must be changed. (it was …BKK-AMM-TUN-DOH-CMN-DOH-NBO)

One hope I have is that the particular rule will be changed to (more accurately) reflect the interpretation put on it. Because then I can say “Ah, but I bought the ticket under the fare rules in place back in January”. As of today, the wording in the rule sheet, on oneworld.com, hasn’t changed. Neither has the wording in the GDS that ExpertFlyer accesses.
:worried:
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The online booking tool has been changed to now match the interpretation of BA (see post #75) and AA (see post #1)

In preparation for my next telephone conversation with BA, I thought I’d use the tool to setup a new itinerary to match the one I now want. Then I could say “Look the tool allows it as a new itinerary, so why won’t you allow me to change my itinerary to be the same?”, which in brief is:
CPT-JNB-xDOH-EZE…BKK-xDOH-CMN-xDOH-OSL-xDOH-NBO
(I have already flown as far as BKK)
Yesterday I setup and saved the itinerary, but it wouldn’t price up, instead showing some gobbledegook error number.
But today the tool flags it as an invalid itinerary stating

So I’m now wondering what will happen to my requested change – my expectation is that it will be disallowed, but will they now turn around and say that my original itinerary was invalid and must be changed. (it was …BKK-AMM-TUN-DOH-CMN-DOH-NBO)

One hope I have is that the particular rule will be changed to (more accurately) reflect the interpretation put on it. Because then I can say “Ah, but I bought the ticket under the fare rules in place back in January”. As of today, the wording in the rule sheet, on oneworld.com, hasn’t changed. Neither has the wording in the GDS that ExpertFlyer accesses.
:worried:
Your previous itinerary is ticketed, there is a contract there. That would be my first thought if an airline tried to retrospectively alter the carriage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.