FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   FYI recent experiences booking an ex-CPT DONE5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1648889-fyi-recent-experiences-booking-ex-cpt-done5.html)

pandaperth Jan 24, 2015 1:29 am

FYI recent experiences booking an ex-CPT DONE5

So I wanted to book an ex-CPT 5-continent Oneworld Explorer
The salient features of it are:
- First segments CPT-xDOH-EZE…
- Last segments …BKK-AMM-TUN-DOH-CMN-DOH-NBO
- So it makes use of the allowed second transit of Europe/Middle East and in particular this rule
3.2.2 Africa-Middle East-RTW-Middle East-Africa
One of the visits to Middle East must be a transfer without stopover between Africa and the previous/next continent.
- Because the first flight is with QR, I could not use the on-line booking tool

I had every intention of booking it via the AA RTW desk and paying through AA’s GSA in CPT (Mindpearl)
But just for interest, I asked QR to also price it up for me

FYI, here are my experiences.

Qatar Airways
Hopeless; really hopeless

Emailed the itinerary to someone in the Cape Town office of QR. Who sent it on the QR’s “Oneworld Desk”.

First response: Itinerary is invalid because it ends in a country different to the starting country
I pointed out that this was allowed and got the…

Second Response: Itinerary is invalid because it has multiple stopovers at the same point (DOH) and in addition because it begins and ends in different countries – the higher of the two countries fares must be used. And finally, because of the different start and end countries Amadeus cannot auto-price it

I pointed out that multiple stopovers are allowed and that there is no rule about the higher of starting and ending countries. That was on December 30 and I have yet to get a response (it’s now Jan 24)

American Airlines
Phoned the RTW desk and got the itinerary set up

Received a phone call a few hours later to inform me that the pricing desk flagged it as invalid – saying that I was not allowed inter-zone flights in Europe/Middle East (in other words the AMM-TUN, TUN-DOH, DOH-CMN and CMN-DOH flights were all invalid).

I disputed this, saying that would be the case only if I were making use of the 3.2.3 rule for the second transit of Europe/Middles East.

To cut a long story short, the issue was passed to more senior management, the RTW desk kept extending my hold on the flights I wanted – but in the end (we’re talking three weeks here!) I got frustrated and cancelled it.

British Airways
I tweaked my itinerary slightly (to start CPT-xJNB-xDOH…) so that I could use the on-line tool to book it (it now has BA as the first carrier).

Got the BA record locator from the tool, phoned BA’s JNB office and paid. The whole process only took a few hours.

(The only, minor, issue was that the BA phone agent wanted me to go and pay Qatar Airways – because it was the first international carrier! I got that double-checked and then I could pay)

One other point on paying: I phoned using my Australian mobile phone, and paid using my Australian credit card. Neither was questioned (I’m thinking here of the rule about ‘the higher fare of country of origin/country of sale’ rule). I was physically present in Sth Africa when I did this, but there was no way (I presume) that the phone agent could have known this.

Himeno Jan 24, 2015 2:43 am

I've gotten things like this with CX, AA and MH as well.

It is problematic when the person trying to buy a ticket knows the rules better then the airline selling the ticket does.

jozdemir Jan 24, 2015 11:20 am

I had similar problems with QR trying to get an itinerary priced up, they were absolutely useless.

I hadn't thought about putting CPT-JNB in there to get the QR flights needed...presumably the idea is to change the routing later.

pandaperth Jan 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jozdemir (Post 24226226)
I hadn't thought about putting CPT-JNB in there to get the QR flights needed...presumably the idea is to change the routing later.

No, I'm not intending to change the routing. I in fact start the journey on Monday Jan 26
Since that first segment is the only BA segment on the itinerary, I don't know how BA would react if I contacted them to change it;)

jozdemir Jan 25, 2015 12:49 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth (Post 24226643)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jozdemir

No, I'm not intending to change the routing. I in fact start the journey on Monday Jan 26
Since that first segment is the only BA segment on the itinerary, I don't know how BA would react if I contacted them to change it

Haha touché, they might not be particularly pleased with that!

pandaperth Jan 25, 2015 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jozdemir (Post 24229144)
Haha touché, they might not be particularly pleased with that!

True enough

though on my last RTW (an ex-KRT DONE4 ticketed by AA) my only AA flight was its codeshare on RJ metal AMM-JFK. When there was a schedule change, AA quietly* switched me to the RJ flight number. The result was I had an AA-issued ticket with no AA flights on it :)

* I guess they had realised how little they were going to make out of that one flight; the all-in ticket price was under USD4000

checkerboard Jan 25, 2015 11:26 am

So if you don't mind sharing this detail, when booking with BA, what was the (approximate) all-in price for your recently purchased DONE5.

serfty Jan 25, 2015 9:48 pm

I had a really frustrating time with the AA ATW desk a couple of years ago booking a oneworld explorer ex AKL.

This guy refused to let me have the stopovers in Australia that I wanted as "only one is permitted in each direction in the country of origin". I could not get it through the guys head that although Australia and New Zealand are in the same "Continent" they are actually different countries!

Himeno Jan 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 24233948)
I had a really frustrating time with the AA ATW desk a couple of years ago booking a oneworld explorer ex AKL.

This guy refused to let me have the stopovers in Australia that I wanted as "only one is permitted in each direction in the country of origin". I could not get it through the guys head that although Australia and New Zealand are in the same "Continent" they are actually different countries!

You use America vs Canada = Australia vs New Zealand when trying to explain that sort of thing to Americans.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 24233948)

It was a real loss when AA closed their NZ office.

Himeno Jan 26, 2015 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 24234259)
It was a real loss when AA closed their NZ office.

Do they still have the office in BNE?

serfty Jan 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 24234402)
Do they still have the office in BNE?

Well, it's an 07 number but connects to Mindpearl in Fiji and other Pacific locations.

They like to charge operator assisted booking fees.

pandaperth Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by checkerboard (Post 24231195)
So if you don't mind sharing this detail, when booking with BA, what was the (approximate) all-in price for your recently purchased DONE5.

Don't mind at all

Base Fare ZAR68,880
All-In Fare ZAR84,500 (approx.)

I'm flying all 16 allowed segments, so plenty of taxes etc
Haven't yet tried working out what the (sur)charges are

I've just flown the first two segments (BA CPT-JNB and QR JNB-DOH)
Very nice flight on the QR 787:D

Himeno Jan 26, 2015 6:52 pm

Shortly before my last LONE4, i got a call from "AA Brisbane" to tell me about flight time changes. (All of which I already knew about weeks before).
I started that trip with CBR-SYD-LAX with CBR-SYD on an AA code (And the tool let me book a QF coded AS LAX-PDX).

anabolism Feb 2, 2015 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth (Post 24224478)
British Airways
I tweaked my itinerary slightly (to start CPT-xJNB-xDOH…) so that I could use the on-line tool to book it (it now has BA as the first carrier).

Got the BA record locator from the tool, phoned BA’s JNB office and paid. The whole process only took a few hours.

Did the fuel surcharges go up a lot when you switched the first flight from QR to BA and ticketed via BA?