Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by HB7
I don't think Australia's response versus the UK to this last year can even be compared. It's on a different stratosphere. However, the Australian government and their scientific advisors have arrogantly said "we don't have a problem, so we will wait and take our time to approve the vaccines and get them to people". Then the government's messaging was pretty horrific, because its on them to highlight the importance of vaccines.
And now they think they can do this and under-50s will willingly get vaccinated having being told a couple of months ago of blood clots for under 50s. It's chaotic.

The government is also hoping that at a meeting on Wednesday, the medical expert group which advises on vaccines will change its view on the risks associated with the AstraZeneca vaccine, of which there is a more plentiful supply, and enable it to be given to those aged under 50.The government, which is bound to follow medical advice, was dismayed in April when the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation recommended the 50-year-old age cut-off following rare instances of blood clots associated with the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The government believes the decision was too risk-averse and now, with COVID-19 back in the community, the risk profile has shifted and there is an expectation ATAGI might alter its advice as early as next week
https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0210528-p57vya
HB7 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nancypants
Interesting news from the former mr pants, Qantas (presumably CASA?) mandates 24 hours off post vaccine, but won’t roster people a couple of days off to get it, so sick leave has gone up which is causing some upset

i’m day 3 laid up with high fever, nausea, headaches and muscle pains after my 2nd dose. I’m very happy to have got the vaccine but I wouldn’t have been fit to work any of the days so far. Luckily I am on leave at present but perhaps this is an area for improvement- 1-2 days paid vaccination leave?!
That almost sounds like some of the symptoms of clotting? I would have been at the hospital by now!
Old May 29, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
That almost sounds like some of the symptoms of clotting? I would have been at the hospital by now!
ah I dunno that it’s that bad, I certainly don’t have a cerebral sinus thrombosis. I suspect a lot of it is a function of the miserable fever!!
Old May 29, 2021, 1:03 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by nancypants
Interesting news from the former mr pants, Qantas (presumably CASA?) mandates 24 hours off post vaccine, but won’t roster people a couple of days off to get it, so sick leave has gone up which is causing some upset

i’m day 3 laid up with high fever, nausea, headaches and muscle pains after my 2nd dose. I’m very happy to have got the vaccine but I wouldn’t have been fit to work any of the days so far. Luckily I am on leave at present but perhaps this is an area for improvement- 1-2 days paid vaccination leave?!

3 days of high fevers? That doesn't sound normal, may want to check with a doctor.
Old May 29, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In more positive news, Australia hit 124k daily vaccinations on Friday and 121k yesterday.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
In more positive news, Australia hit 124k daily vaccinations on Friday and 121k yesterday.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...llout/13197518
Old May 29, 2021, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also

https://www.covid19data.com.au/

Which I've used as my primary data since the start of the pandemic.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by exp
3 days of high fevers? That doesn't sound normal, may want to check with a doctor.
apparently within the realms of normality- you have been warned! 😉
Old May 30, 2021, 6:10 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
While 100k vaccinations a day is good, is there any sense that Australia can increase that to 200k+ a day soon? If that is possible and sustainable for the next 6 months, all adults can be done in 2021.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by HB7
While 100k vaccinations a day is good, is there any sense that Australia can increase that to 200k+ a day soon? If that is possible and sustainable for the next 6 months, all adults can be done in 2021.
Sorry, but I don't find 100k a day impressive by any stretch whatsoever. The UK is doing six or seven times that and, as I've said upthread, organised the programme alongside its shambolic attempt at viral containment (lockdowns weeks too late which verged on pointless in preventing fatalities and hospitalisations, because the virus had already spread to the vulnerable by the time they were introduced. Three times.) Adjusted for the population differential, Australia still is barely chugging along at half the rate and had zero cases to contend with for most of that time. People may not support reopening the borders and I understand that, but surely they realise that every day the borders are shut is costing the country millions and that a rapid roll-out is in their financial interests just as much as it is the resumption of international travel...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:03 am
HB7

Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Sorry, but I don't find 100k a day impressive by any stretch whatsoever. The UK is doing six or seven times that and, as I've said upthread, organised the programme alongside its shambolic attempt at viral containment (lockdowns weeks too late which verged on pointless in preventing fatalities and hospitalisations, because the virus had already spread to the vulnerable by the time they were introduced. Three times.) Adjusted for the population differential, Australia still is barely chugging along at half the rate and had zero cases to contend with for most of that time. People may not support reopening the borders and I understand that, but surely they realise that every day the borders are shut is costing the country millions and that a rapid roll-out is in their financial interests just as much as it is the resumption of international travel...
I agree that it is shambolic, but if they double it to over 200k, they'll be close to what the UK is averaging on a per capita basis - even though Australia should be aiming for higher than that since they are so far behind. I know Pfizer supply is low, but what on earth is going on with CSL and they're supposed manufacture of 1 million per week AZ?

Is the government awake? If they want to avoid any more lockdowns, they really need to kick this into gear.
LETTERBOY and :D! like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 9:50 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
The whole Pacific region is behind.

Japan will probably try to acquire a lot of supplies and then you have the smaller Asian nations which are also very low in vaccinations completed.

So these countries may be competing for supplies to be shipped to them, particularly of the mRNA vaccines.

I saw a commercial for a vaccination campaign in China. Now they're pushing 3rd doses of the Sinopharm vaccine there because it has such low efficacy. If China should admit their vaccines just aren't good, imagine if they and all their vaccine diplomacy clients like the Philippines all try to get Western vaccines at once.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HB7
Yes that can happen. CSL/Pfizer are delivering ~1.35m doses/week. I'd expect the Pfizer supply to increase in the coming months and Moderna and Novovax will also start arriving.
HB7 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:20 pm
HB7

Originally Posted by bensyd
Yes that can happen. CSL/Pfizer are delivering ~1.35m doses/week. I'd expect the Pfizer supply to increase in the coming months and Moderna and Novovax will also start arriving.
Hopefully it happens soon, so then maybe fully vaccinated Aussies overseas can come home to visit their family without having to pay 3.5k to sit in a hotel room for 2 weeks.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
I agree that it is shambolic, but if they double it to over 200k, they'll be close to what the UK is averaging on a per capita basis - even though Australia should be aiming for higher than that since they are so far behind. I know Pfizer supply is low, but what on earth is going on with CSL and they're supposed manufacture of 1 million per week AZ?

Is the government awake? If they want to avoid any more lockdowns, they really need to kick this into gear.
not sure about elsewhere but certainly locally we have a fair amount of AZ sitting unused as people don’t want it, or are in the Pfizer age group but not called yet and the existing protocols don’t address well under 50s who don’t mind having AZ

Originally Posted by exp
The whole Pacific region is behind.

Japan will probably try to acquire a lot of supplies and then you have the smaller Asian nations which are also very low in vaccinations completed.

So these countries may be competing for supplies to be shipped to them, particularly of the mRNA vaccines.

I saw a commercial for a vaccination campaign in China. Now they're pushing 3rd doses of the Sinopharm vaccine there because it has such low efficacy. If China should admit their vaccines just aren't good, imagine if they and all their vaccine diplomacy clients like the Philippines all try to get Western vaccines at once.
unfortunately this is a lot of what the 3rd world is using to vaccinate and it’s complete junk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.