Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 9:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by docbert
Worried I might drop dead as a result, not so much.
You've higher confidence than most Australians (or HKers)

The question they actually post is "Worried I might drop dead as a result due to my personal circumstances" e.g. unknown cardiac, diabetes condition.

I agree in COVID-controlled territories the fear is overperceived. They have the luxury to worry.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Vaccine hesitancy is largely irrelevant at this point. Less than 2% of the population is fully vaccinated. Worry about the 70% that want a vaccine right now. Deal with the rest later. There does seem to be a few people in their 50s who are hanging out for anything but the AZ vaccine. Most of the hesitancy/complacency will melt away as the rollout progresses.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Worry about the 70% that want a vaccine right now.
Source of 70% will-vaccine?
Old May 26, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Source of 70% will-vaccine?
  • 73 percent of Australians agree the government should require a COVID-19 vaccine for work, travel and study
  • 66 percent of Australians will take a COVID-19 vaccine voluntarily
  • 25 percent of Australians are unsure about taking it; of those 70 percent expressed safety concerns around the vaccines being developed so quickly
  • 9 percent of Australians will not take a COVID-19 vaccine
https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opini...ne-survey.html

IMO, complacency is a bigger problem right now. With the border shut people aren't trying very hard to get vaccinated – and they can afford to be choosey about which vaccine they want.

Last edited by bensyd; May 26, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Old May 26, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Vaccine hesitancy is largely irrelevant at this point. Less than 2% of the population is fully vaccinated.
Whilst that number is correct, it's potentially misleading to give the "fully vaccinated" number much meaning in Australia simply because of the use of AstraZenica and the 12 weeks being used between doses. Currently "fully vaccinated" in Australia means you have to have received the Pfizer vaccine, and you have to have qualified to get it more than 3 weeks ago(*). Basically zero of the AZ vaccinated people count in the fully vaccinated numbers at the moment, simply because it's not time for their 2nd dose yet.

To me, the more interesting number is that first doses are nearing 14% of the population. Whilst obviously less than many other places in the world, that number is actually higher than I was expecting.

(* or 5 weeks if they are including the 2 week period after the 2nd dose before you are "fully vaccinated" like the official numbers in the US are)
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I suspect Melbourne's lockdown will help quash some complacency. Lockdowns are no fun & people want to avoid them happening in the future.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I suspect Melbourne's lockdown will help quash some complacency. Lockdowns are no fun & people want to avoid them happening in the future.
You've got to wonder how much additional impact they could have had by adding a few extra words to the announcement. "People who are fully vaccinated are exempt from the restrictions".

Of course, that creates an enforcement nightmare (more so for any future lockdowns when a higher percentage of the population is vaccinated) - but you've got to presume it would also have had a lot of people pushing their way to the front of the vaccination lines!
Old May 26, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF WP

I am fully vaccinated as of today
2 observations
-a large queue of people waiting for vaccine (although the queue of Melbourne people outside the pandemic clinic waiting for test was a similar length)
-there was significantly less slack in the system this time- the administrative staff entering vaccine details are gone, the nurses are now entering their own details, which means there are twice as many nurses and twice as many people can have a vaccine. This perhaps contributed to the larger queue and the fact we had to wait outside due to lack of space

(a third observation- AZ seems to have vanished entirely from the government roll out- or at least no one today seemed to be getting it)

I shall now go and revel in my statistical nature 😉
Old May 26, 2021, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
I am fully vaccinated as of today
Feels good, doesn't it!

Although technically - at least using the US CDC definition - you won't be "fully vaccinated" for another 2 weeks. (I'm not sure if Australia is using the same definition or not, and a quick Google search didn't find anything one way or another). Realistically it makes no real difference in Australia at the moment, but in the US we're starting to see different rules for people that are "fully vaccinated" and those that are not, with the 2 weeks built into the former in recognition that the vaccine takes time to provide full protection.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:20 pm

Well you can stop pathologically washing hands, get into GAD over contaminated surfaces or tense up when someone coughs next to you.

What it won't let you do is to give you your travel privileges back or (more in the HK context than Aus) let you take of those damned masks. I almost asphyxiated myself in an impromptu meeting yesterday where I was pulled in to explain a minor point in an undersized meeting room and then not excused to leave.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The federal government should be on the hook for this latest outbreak in Victoria. They've steadfastly refused to do anything wrt quarantine beyond the small facility in the NT. They have screwed the vaccine rollout. And now Melbourne is going back into lockdown. Unlike the other states that lockdown for a single case, this one seems to have the makings of a major outbreak. The federal CMO has said there's been a super spreader event in Victoria.
LETTERBOY and nancypants like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:35 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Until the majority of the population has been vaccinated, this will continue to happen (snap lockdowns), because cases will always escape. The government's vaccine rollout is nothing short of pathetic and disastrous. Three months after vaccinations started, Australia is still vaccinating at an extremely slow rate, and this needs to be fixed asap.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Transit when in lockdown?

We know that MEL and SYD are even in covid times major transfer hubs . Does anyone know where the blurb can be located if one is in transit through a "lockdown" city airport for a few hours without leaving the "building"..for example arrival gate to lounge to departure gate . Thanks
Old May 27, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
The federal government should be on the hook for this latest outbreak in Victoria. They've steadfastly refused to do anything wrt quarantine beyond the small facility in the NT. They have screwed the vaccine rollout. And now Melbourne is going back into lockdown. Unlike the other states that lockdown for a single case, this one seems to have the makings of a major outbreak. The federal CMO has said there's been a super spreader event in Victoria.
Hopefully it might encourage Australians to start getting vaccinated... It might also remind folks claiming life in Australia is almost just as it was pre-2020 how that is far from the truth...
kirkwoodj and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nivsy
We know that MEL and SYD are even in covid times major transfer hubs . Does anyone know where the blurb can be located if one is in transit through a "lockdown" city airport for a few hours without leaving the "building"..for example arrival gate to lounge to departure gate . Thanks
You need to look at each states restrictions. In previous VIC lock downs different states had different rules. Some allowed and some did not.
NSW Govt web site has links to other states--->https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rule...r-restrictions
nivsy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.