Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If it doesn't apply to this type of situation, what is its purpose?
It was primarily enacted to prevent animals & plants from being brought to Australia. It was brought to legislation via the Department of Agriculture.

The Biosecurity Act 2015 (the Biosecurity Act) explains how we manage biosecurity threats to plant, animal and human health in Australia and its external territories.

They included human health but that wasn't the main focus of the legislation. Before this, it was most famously used against a certain celebrities dogs...

Not going to argue further semantics, you can decide and/or read the act for yourself. But a fact is, it is not simply about human disease, it's a broad-based act covering many other subjects as well. So in my mind, I'm not so certain they had every scenario covered as intended. And you can't just cite the legislation as proof of intent... that's an opinion and you can have a different one of course.

Last edited by CPMaverick; May 16, 2021 at 6:04 pm
Old May 16, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The second reading speech is equally clear, foreshadowing that the human health provisions will be rarely used, but are essential to manage serious communicable diseases when they occur.

Not much room to say this was not intentional.
Old May 20, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Admittedly an interloper here as I am American. But I had a trip planned to Perth, Adelaide, Great Ocean Road and Melbourne for November 2020. And, I have been watching the AU situation carefully as I hoped the trip was merely deferred. Sadly, it is now cancelled because it is unclear when I will be able to go. 2022 is way too uncertain and 2023 is beyond my planning horizon, especially for a trip that entails 20 plus hours of transit from my home in the eastern US. I just read an interesting article in the New York Times labeling AU "The Hermit Nation" and it implies that Morrison's latest statements regarding keeping border closures largely in place are at least, in part, politically driven given impending elections. Further to that I listened to a Pod Cast sponsored by the English Newspaper The Telegraph also sharply critical of current isolationist policies being extended for such a long time into next year. The upshot of both pieces is that the collateral impacts of maintaining these policies in what was formerlly a very globalist centric country has the potential to do real harm as Covid (hopefully) begins to recede to more manageable levels this year and early next. What do you all think?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
A The upshot of both pieces is that the collateral impacts of maintaining these policies in what was formerlly a very globalist centric country has the potential to do real harm as Covid (hopefully) begins to recede to more manageable levels this year and early next. What do you all think?
Unfortunately that's what you get when public opinion is firmly in favour of border closures, and there are no leaders (except the NSW Premier) with the guts to dare suggest anything other than complete, and even tighter border closures. The lack of vision coming from the federal government, is to be expected given the upcoming election. Last election showed that taking bold policies to the electorate is a recipe for electoral failure.

Whilst I don't think it's wise to suddenly open up and let the whole world in, there should be a plan to manage risks, with gradual steps. At the moment the discussion yo-yoes between completely closed and completely open. Such is the state of affairs in the government, media and in the public the nuances of an incremental pathway to opening up are too dull for the news cycle. Not dramatic enough!

Also, whilst I think there is little chance of public support for foreign tourists visiting, or for Australians to leave for holidays, I think the public is starting to get a little sick of sportspeople and celebrities having a free pass to come and go as they please, whilst many are separated from their loved ones. There's been a gradual increase in discussion of the separation from loved ones, if that momentum can continue hopefully a starting point for allowing greater contact between Australians and their overseas relatives and loved ones. This strikes a chord, in the way that "holidays' do not.
A1pax likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:46 pm

There’s been a few discussions about this but I’d put in a few comments/opinions.

For all the image of the larrikin, anti establishment Aussie the reality is that Australians on the whole are very quick to expect the government to fix ‘the problem’. There’s a thick seam of nanny state through Aus and so the border closures to the outside world played well to that constituency.

Australia will sacrifice the young for the old, unless they’re in aged care and at that point they’re out of sight so don’t matter. You can see this through a lot of the tax system but basically younger Australians do get somewhat screwed over so in this pandemic there was a bias towards making the young suffer for the benefit of the older.

Up to now those two factors have been the most important, basically protect ourselves at all cost. However I’m snow seeing a definite change in sentiment, people who were very much in the shut the borders camp are also joining the get vaccinated to open the economy camp.

A few factors will help this, states run by the labor (left) party were the biggest proponents of lockdowns and border closures however the vaccine rollout is more the responsibility of the federal liberal (right) party so straight partisan politics is moving people in the ‘shut things down’ camp into the ‘vaccinate and open’ camp. Likewise the two biggest industries impacted by border closures are education, particularly tertiary, and travel. People working in tertiary education tend to skew left and those in lower paying tourism/service jobs also tend to be more left than right. So again, the side of politics that was most inclined to be in the shut things down camp are also the ones who are most likely to be losing their jobs and they’re starting to question whether this is necessary. And, frankly, old people want to go on a cruise again.

I don’t think there is any chance of meaningful change in policies prior to vaccination of Australians but I am seeing a lot of, hmm, call them ‘outspoken friends of Dan’, who are now on the ‘vaccinate to open the economy’ bandwagon. I’d also say that Morrison never has an opinion which a focus group hasn’t first given him so anything that he says is likely a month or two behind public sentiment and IMO this is certainly true in his recent comments.
lokijuh, LETTERBOY and Cathay1101 like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:38 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Some suggestions for restarting travel to/from Australia from experts:

International travel by early next year, permission to quarantine at home and a traffic light system to define high-risk countries should be part of a plan to reopen Australia to the rest of the world, according to experts who spoke to Guardian Australia.

Frustrated by the lack of strategy from the federal government about how and when border restrictions could be eased, the president of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Omar Khorshid, has said the government could open international borders early in the new year if it made vaccines mandatory for anyone wanting to travel.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-than-mid-2022

Khorshid said a key component of the strategy would be mandatory Covid-19 vaccinations for outbound and inbound travellers, with only limited exemptions for defined medical reasons. Dedicated quarantine facilities for those travelling to and from countries deemed as being higher risk would need to be used, along with rapid screening tests at Australian airports and ports.

He proposed the adoption of a traffic light or similar classification system that sets transparent criteria for the easing of borders with individual countries or regions, taking into consideration the prevalence of Covid-19 – including variants, vaccination rates and the degree of confidence in local testing regimes – as well as containment strategies and data transparency.

Risk mitigation measures should be attached to the traffic light system, including border closures with very high-risk countries and regions, requirements for onshore and offshore testing, and mandatory time in home or designated quarantine, he said.

Currently, vaccination levels in Australia are too low to consider opening the borders, but this could not continue indefinitely, Khorshid said, proposing a public campaign and discussion around reopening to reduce people’s fear, and further promotion of vaccination.

“In terms of timing, if a high proportion of the population are vaccinated by the end of the year and our health system is prepared, then we could see border closures progressively eased from early in the new year, initially targeting travel with low-risk destinations,” Khorshid said.
Old May 21, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IMOA
However I’m snow seeing a definite change in sentiment, people who were very much in the shut the borders camp are also joining the get vaccinated to open the economy camp.
Yes, I see that too. It didn't really take much to see the change. A fair amount of the strong border talk from the federal government is because they've ballsed up the vaccine rollout and they know there's an election coming sooner than later. If we had a vaccine rollout in full speed like the UK or the US the messaging from the government would be very different. The reality is that if NSW and/or Victoria support open borders then the rest of the country will have to follow. Gladys said this week NSW needs to hit 5 million vaccinated in order to reopen NSW to the world.

I have heard stories like this from multiple older people who are eligible to be vaccinated but can't find a GP. The federal government runs the GP rollout. On the other hand the NSW government's vaccination hub is already offering appointments to healthy adults over 40 for the Pfizer vaccine.
East Sydney Doctors in Darlinghurst, which has more than 10,000 patients but has been receiving 50 vaccines a day until now, said it has been turning away “hundreds of patients due to poor and erratic supplies”. The clinic cancelled vaccine appointments on Thursday after 150 doses expected in mid-May failed to arrive.

“We have huge demand but we can’t open up further because we don’t have supply. We aren’t seeing much hesitancy but hundreds of our patients are immunocompromised, HIV positive or have health complications and so it’s extremely important they are vaccinated sooner rather than later,” Dr Brad McKay said.

The practice has more than 4000 patients aged 50 and over who need an AstraZeneca vaccination. Only 350 patients have received a dose.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-h...21-p57u37.html
Old May 21, 2021, 6:11 pm
exp
Suspended

I knew that an Australian University was working on a vaccine last year but haven't heard much from it. Turned out the govt. had signed a deal for 51 million doses, enough to cover the entire Australian population. But while they had some promising clinical data, they ran into complications.

On Dec. 10, 2020, a vaccine from Australia’s University of Queenslandwas the first to be abandoned after entering a clinical trial. Cancelling the vaccine meant the collapse of a $1 billion deal with the Australian government for 51 million doses.

The vaccine studies offered great promise at first. Experiments on hamsters showed that the vaccine protected them from the coronavirus. The university launched a Phase 1 trial in July, combining coronavirus spike proteins with an adjuvant made by CSL. The trial delivered encouraging results: volunteers produced a high level of antibodies with no evidence of harmful side effects.

But then the researchers made an unwelcome discovery: some volunteers were getting positive tests for HIV, even though they were not actually infected with that virus. In a report released in February 2021, the researchers explained the false positives came about due to the way the researchers designed the vaccine.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-tracker.html

The researchers are now trying to re-engineer the vaccine so that it won't trigger the HIV false positives.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This opinion piece is worth reading. Domestic politics and a looming election is playing into how the federal government messages on the pandemic. tl;dr it suits the federal government to keep a "fortress Australia" narrative until after the election. If they communicated a sense of urgency about reopening the border then they'd get blowback on the poorly planned vaccine rollout.
Scott Morrison sees this national mood and knows how to put it to use. He has adjusted his message to Australians in the past two weeks to warn of greater dangers ahead, to the point where he seems to stoke the fears.

Four months ago, when the country emerged from summer lockdowns and border closures, the Prime Minister thought the risks were subsiding. Confident that vaccines were on their way, he said COVID-19 could present a similar risk to many other viruses already in the community.

“What I’m saying is that the risk environment is reducing,” he said on February 5.

Not any more. Morrison now argues the pandemic is a greater threat than it was one year ago. “The pandemic is raging. The pandemic is morphing. It’s changing every day,” he said last Tuesday. “I’m not going to take risks with Australians’ lives.”

So Morrison does not want to calm the farm. He wants to talk about the forest fire next door.

And the Coalition went into campaign mode this week. Morrison went to Lilley in Brisbane for instance, held by Labor on a margin of just 0.64 per cent, and Dunkley in suburban Melbourne, held by Labor by 2.7 per cent.

The visits to Coalition seats also took Morrison to Deakin, Goldstein and La Trobe in Melbourne, Bass and Braddon in Tasmania and at least five seats in Queensland: Bonner, Brisbane, Flynn, Forde and Longman.

And the Coalition goes to the election with a majority of one in the lower house, a starting position with no political capital to spare. Morrison has to craft his message to capture the national mood.

On vaccines, he wants older Australians to take the AstraZeneca jab but is not going to force the issue in a way that provokes a backlash. It’s a free country, he says. And he is right. The government is in no position to dictate this personal decision when more supplies from Pfizer and Moderna are due to arrive. But this is one area where Morrison’s warnings about the pandemic could deliver a policy gain by convincing people to roll up their sleeves.

On borders, he is deliberately vague. The government suggests it will open the international borders in the middle of 2022. This is central to the federal budget, which is a policy document authored by ministers. But Morrison presents the date as merely an assumption.
On quarantine he is passive. He waits for state leaders to come to him with proposals and chooses some, such as the plan for a new facility in or near Melbourne, and rejects others, such as the sketchy proposal for Toowoomba. The last big federal initiative, to expand Howard Springs in the Northern Territory, was finalised in December. Morrison seeks to avoid the risk of making quarantine a greater federal responsibility.
For the moment, the political imperative is to keep people anxious until their votes are counted. The path to policy certainty runs through the ballot box. No wonder some want to get there as fast as possible.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...21-p57tzx.html

Last edited by bensyd; May 21, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Old May 21, 2021, 11:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by bensyd
This opinion piece is worth reading. Domestic politics and a looming election is playing into how the federal government messages on the pandemic. tl;dr it suits the federal government to keep a "fortress Australia" narrative until after the election. If they communicated a sense of urgency about reopening the border then they'd get blowback on the poorly planned vaccine rollout.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...21-p57tzx.html
Of course if India/Taiwan-like outbreak happens between now and Election Day, he’s screwed. How can we start an outbreak?
SNA_Flyer and bensyd like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Of course if India/Taiwan-like outbreak happens between now and Election Day, he’s screwed. How can we start an outbreak?
He's hardly a shoe in as it is. I don't think the LNP has been ahead 2PP since January.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:30 am
exp
Suspended

I hope people haven't forgotten those fires.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:25 am
exp
Suspended

Some recent surveys show vaccine hesitancy, including as much as 1/3 of Australians.

A combination of fear and complacency over the perceived risk posed by the virus has led to hesitancy among some Australians.

The survey by the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) newspaper and Resolve Strategic found those who had doubts over taking a vaccine were most worried about potential side effects, and did not feel they knew enough about the vaccines.

Australia's rollout was delayed after regulators advised limiting use of the AstraZeneca shot - the country's main vaccine - following cases of rare blood clots linked to the jab.

It now recommends that people aged under 50 get the Pfizer jab instead.
A separate survey released this month by the Australian National University (ANU) also found high levels of concern surrounding side effects. Tracking about 3,000 participants, the ANU found that while most people would get a safe and effective vaccine, eight in 10 Australians were worried about possible side effects.

Professor Nicholas Biddle said just over 50% of people who said they wouldn't take a vaccine "said their decision was based on recent news about the AstraZeneca vaccine and blood clotting."

Women, non-English speakers and people living outside of cities were most likely to be hesitant, the ANU found.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57181038
Old May 25, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by exp
Some recent surveys show vaccine hesitancy, including as much as 1/3 of Australians.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57181038
concur. Remote aboriginal communities will be absolutely decimated by COVID (health was modelling a 20-25% mortality rate but apparently police and government had been told 50%), however I am seriously battling to get anyone to consider it. Wurrumiyanga (Bathurst island) managed to get about a 50% administration rate just recently, Numbulwar (my old joint) we don’t have official stats but I’m told low, maybe 10%, where I am at the moment I’d be surprised if they even get that

[edit to add- these are communities that have previously had exceptionally low- close to zero- vaccine hesistancy]

agree that it shouldn’t be compulsory but they really need to come up with something- a tax break or extra Centrelink payment, chook raffle, whatever- to carrot-ise people
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exp
The US (and most other countries) had relatively high hesitancy at the start too, but over time it dropped. As people start to see others getting vaccinated and not keeling over in the street the hesitancy will reduce. Obviously in Australia the press around AZ hasn't helped, but if the end result of that is just to push more people to getting Pfizer then that hopefully won't have too much long-term impact.

The bigger issue in Australia is potentially complacency - the people who would otherwise get vaccinated, but just don't see the need given the lack of local transmission. As counter-intuitive as it might otherwise be, a moderate size breakout might actually help with the longer-term vaccination efforts...

Here in the US we apparently passed 50% of the adult population fully vaccinated today. And that's with the definition of "fully vaccinated" which means you're 2 weeks past the last shot, so in terms of actual doses we're even further along than that!

eight in 10 Australians were worried about possible side effects.
I guess the question there is what does "worried" mean? Worried I might feel lethargic and need to take a sickie is a valid concern. As is worried I might have trouble sleeping and be tired tomorrow. Worried I might drop dead as a result, not so much. I guess I was "worried" about possible side effects like the first two, but that didn't stop me getting vaccinated on the first day I was eligible to!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.