FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
Old May 20, 2021, 10:00 am
wanderlustFL

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Admittedly an interloper here as I am American. But I had a trip planned to Perth, Adelaide, Great Ocean Road and Melbourne for November 2020. And, I have been watching the AU situation carefully as I hoped the trip was merely deferred. Sadly, it is now cancelled because it is unclear when I will be able to go. 2022 is way too uncertain and 2023 is beyond my planning horizon, especially for a trip that entails 20 plus hours of transit from my home in the eastern US. I just read an interesting article in the New York Times labeling AU "The Hermit Nation" and it implies that Morrison's latest statements regarding keeping border closures largely in place are at least, in part, politically driven given impending elections. Further to that I listened to a Pod Cast sponsored by the English Newspaper The Telegraph also sharply critical of current isolationist policies being extended for such a long time into next year. The upshot of both pieces is that the collateral impacts of maintaining these policies in what was formerlly a very globalist centric country has the potential to do real harm as Covid (hopefully) begins to recede to more manageable levels this year and early next. What do you all think?