Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
You might also get better answer in the Australia etc. forum. [mod hat] So I am moving this thread there.[/mod hat]
Old May 27, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Hopefully it might encourage Australians to start getting vaccinated... It might also remind folks claiming life in Australia is almost just as it was pre-2020 how that is far from the truth...
Yes. Hopefully it does. I haven't seen anyone claiming things are like they were pre-2020. It's not like this is the first time Melbourne has been locked down.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Multiple people (yourself included) have described life in Australia as normal, which would imply pre-2020 (or, giving the benefit of the doubt, some approximation of that?)

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
From their perspective why should they risk this normal lifestyle they have for a, privilege that they will never be able to afford to take advantage of.
Originally Posted by bensyd
I have no problems with the current border restrictions – it's not possible to have the normalcy of life we have with a border that is anything but firmly shut
A (probably evil) part of me cynically hopes that an outbreak - sooner or later - manages to squeeze through these draconian zero-COVID measures (obviously in a non-fatal and asymptomatic way) I think that's the only way Australians will realise that not only is this strategy unviable in the long-term, nor perfectly effective, but that vaccines aren't part of the solution just to the reopening of borders but the resumption of normal life. After all, living in fear of the looming threat of being trapped at home unable to leave for anywhere bar Woollies is hardly normal.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multiple people (yourself included) have described life in Australia as normal, which would imply pre-2020 (or, giving the benefit of the doubt, some approximation of that?)
The context of those comments seems to have gone over you. When contrasted to the alternative – having the virus circulating and having restrictions on daily life – day to day life is "normal." That doesn't mean anyone thinks that the period we are living in is normal.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF WP
Deleted
Old May 27, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

(news,com.au)--->The Ghan passengers left in the Outback after Melbourne Covid lockdown
The headline is different to what really happened: off loaded and bus back to Adelaide

(news,com.au)--->Qantas flirts with offering incentives to Australians who get vaccinated

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 27, 2021 at 9:10 pm
Old May 27, 2021, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
(news,com.au)--->The Ghan passengers left in the Outback after Melbourne Covid lockdown
The headline is different to what really happened: off loaded and bus back to Adelaide
Poor .......s, I can’t imagine much worse than being dumped in Marla. Seems the Ghan has moved on from their previous protocols of keeping quarantine passengers on board but isolated in cabin. Speaks to the ongoing risks of even interstate travel at present

I know I’ve been banging on about incentives but 1000 QFF points seems a little less than encouraging

Incidentally I started feeling like dirt 12 hours after 2nd dose (Pfizer) and still feeling pretty lousy. Luckily I have a few days off as I wouldn’t have been fit to work today. I’m told relatively severe vaccine reactions mean it’s probably working well so shan’t grumble too much
Old May 27, 2021, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
Poor .......s, I can’t imagine much worse than being dumped in Marla.
Lol. Even the roadhouse is pretty uninviting. Reminded me of a Soviet supermarket.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:24 am

Lol. Even the roadhouse is pretty uninviting. Reminded me of a Soviet supermarket.
I worked in Marla on and off for 2 years. It’s one of the worst places I’ve ever been 🤣
bensyd likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:58 am

The context of those comments seems to have gone over you. When contrasted to the alternative – having the virus circulating and having restrictions on daily life – day to day life is "normal." That doesn't mean anyone thinks that the period we are living in is normal.
Far from it - the normality you describe requires living in a state of constant fear that you may be plunged into lockdown over a handful of cases at any given time, and that you'll be unable to move within the country - visit family and friends, travel for business or leisure - at a moment's notice. Even if you're 1000km away from the nearest case. That is far from normal, and yet, without this outrageously abnormal situation, you would have to probably endure mild restrictions like the rest of us. And that's presuming you don't get a case or two every so often - which you will - which plunges the country into tougher lockdowns than most of Europe ever saw. day to day life is not 'normal' at all, no matter what context you choose to spin it in.
SNA_Flyer, LETTERBOY, HB7 and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 3:43 am

Far from it - the normality you describe requires living in a state of constant fear that you may be plunged into lockdown over a handful of cases at any given time, and that you'll be unable to move within the country - visit family and friends, travel for business or leisure - at a moment's notice. Even if you're 1000km away from the nearest case. That is far from normal, and yet, without this outrageously abnormal situation, you would have to probably endure mild restrictions like the rest of us. And that's presuming you don't get a case or two every so often - which you will - which plunges the country into tougher lockdowns than most of Europe ever saw. day to day life is not 'normal' at all, no matter what context you choose to spin it in.
Life in Sydney doesn’t remotely resemble what you’re describing. I know you want it to be, but it isn’t.
stewardo, bensyd and nancypants like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
I worked in Marla on and off for 2 years. It’s one of the worst places I’ve ever been 🤣
I've only stopped at the roadhouse. I couldn't imagine doing two years there.
Old May 28, 2021, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by IMOA
Life in Sydney doesn’t remotely resemble what you’re describing. I know you want it to be, but it isn’t.
Obviously you don't have family interstate or travel much domestically, as that's not what I've heard from my immediate family and friends, including my Father who has quarantined four times and visited for weeks on end, only to return to the US where this supposed sense of 'normalcy' you're talking about is almost pretty much there, minus the threat of it all being taken away over a single case...
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Cathay1101; May 28, 2021 at 5:31 am
Old May 28, 2021, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I don't personally know anyone living in a constant state of fear about another lockdown. When it happens it happens, and people deal with it. Life was relatively normal before the lockdown, plans were being made, trips were being organised. The lockdown just means we are postponing travel by a couple of weeks.

Some small businesses may be living in fear of a lockdown. I accept some people who don't cope well with the isolation may be fearful. But I don't know any people personally.

Other than that, compared to the rest of world apart from New Zealand, life was 'normal enough' for people to become quite complacent.
stewardo, :D! and nancypants like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 7:35 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't personally know anyone living in a constant state of fear about another lockdown. When it happens it happens, and people deal with it. Life was relatively normal before the lockdown, plans were being made, trips were being organised. The lockdown just means we are postponing travel by a couple of weeks.

Some small businesses may be living in fear of a lockdown. I accept some people who don't cope well with the isolation may be fearful. But I don't know any people personally.

Other than that, compared to the rest of world apart from New Zealand, life was 'normal enough' for people to become quite complacent.
I know many friends and colleagues who do live with a fear snap lockdowns, which greatly impact their personal, business and work plans. Our HR manager has gotten stuck twice this year alone and it is incredibly frustrating and annoying. Another friend had accommodation and dinner plans in Melbourne for 20 people booked and paid for, and that is cancelled. Many of my colleagues have had to cancel trips last minute, which is a massive hassle. I could be wrong, but I don't think Cathay1101 meant that people live in fear of their lives like the end of world is near, to which many have unfairly jumped on and blasted those those comments. People I have spoken to are afraid because these lockdowns happen almost instantly and the consequences are quite severe.

These 3, 5 or 7 day lockdowns have disrupted many plans and have cost many people I have personally spoken to A LOT of money. It is hard to characterise what "normal" is right now, but the way Australia is handling this is completely unsustainable. To have a Covid-0 policy and continue to vaccinate at snail's pace is completely ridiculous and needs to be sorted out.

I have heard some politicians in the media tout record breaking vaccination days of 100k per day, which on a per capita basis is equivalent to about a third of what Germany is doing and about half of what most EU countries and the UK are doing. Three months into the vaccination program this is simply not good enough.
SNA_Flyer, LETTERBOY, :D! and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.