FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]
Old May 28, 2021, 7:35 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't personally know anyone living in a constant state of fear about another lockdown. When it happens it happens, and people deal with it. Life was relatively normal before the lockdown, plans were being made, trips were being organised. The lockdown just means we are postponing travel by a couple of weeks.

Some small businesses may be living in fear of a lockdown. I accept some people who don't cope well with the isolation may be fearful. But I don't know any people personally.

Other than that, compared to the rest of world apart from New Zealand, life was 'normal enough' for people to become quite complacent.
I know many friends and colleagues who do live with a fear snap lockdowns, which greatly impact their personal, business and work plans. Our HR manager has gotten stuck twice this year alone and it is incredibly frustrating and annoying. Another friend had accommodation and dinner plans in Melbourne for 20 people booked and paid for, and that is cancelled. Many of my colleagues have had to cancel trips last minute, which is a massive hassle. I could be wrong, but I don't think Cathay1101 meant that people live in fear of their lives like the end of world is near, to which many have unfairly jumped on and blasted those those comments. People I have spoken to are afraid because these lockdowns happen almost instantly and the consequences are quite severe.

These 3, 5 or 7 day lockdowns have disrupted many plans and have cost many people I have personally spoken to A LOT of money. It is hard to characterise what "normal" is right now, but the way Australia is handling this is completely unsustainable. To have a Covid-0 policy and continue to vaccinate at snail's pace is completely ridiculous and needs to be sorted out.

I have heard some politicians in the media tout record breaking vaccination days of 100k per day, which on a per capita basis is equivalent to about a third of what Germany is doing and about half of what most EU countries and the UK are doing. Three months into the vaccination program this is simply not good enough.