Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE
The Australian government has scrapped the need for incoming international travellers to declare their Covid-19 vaccination status.Health Minister Mark Butler said the change would come into effect from 12.01am on Wednesday morning.

The Health Minister said the change to the Biosecurity Act was based on advice from the Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly.

Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil also announced travellers will no longer have to complete a Digital Passenger Declaration.

However, they must still comply with the requirements of airlines and states and territories, including the wearing of masks on flights.
And all this one day after we all completed all that paperwork. Ah well. I do wish the masks had gone…

Source
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More from abc.net.au (04 July 2022)-->COVID-19 vaccination requirements to be scrapped for international arrivals into Australia
Key points:
  • Health Minister Mark Butler says the decision is being made on medical advice
  • In May, just over 1,000 applications from unvaccinated travellers were received, with 158 approved
  • Incoming arrivals will still need to comply with other restrictions, including wearing masks on flights
Foreign travellers arriving in Australia will no longer need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 from Wednesday morning.

It marks the end of significant COVID-based restrictions on travel into Australia, more than two years after the pandemic began. Currently, anyone arriving in Australia needs to declare their vaccination status before arriving. While Australian citizens can arrive unvaccinated, most foreign travellers need to seek an exemption on limited grounds. From 12:01am on Wednesday morning, those requirements will be scrapped altogether — opening the international border in full to unvaccinated travellers.
<snip>
Relatively few requests were being made from unvaccinated travellers looking to enter Australia. In May, just over 1,000 applications were received and only 158 were approved — largely on compassionate grounds.

Incoming arrivals still need to comply with other COVID-19 restrictions, like wearing masks on flights bound for Australia.
AU Govt--->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted
All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted
People travelling to Australia will no longer have to complete a Digital Passenger Declaration (DPD) to declare their COVID-19 vaccination status, following changes to the Biosecurity Act, which come into effect from midnight AEST on Wednesday 6 July 2022.

“This is great news for families coming home from school holidays who now don’t need to use the DPD,” Minister for Home Affairs, Clare O’Neil, said.

The Biosecurity Act changes, which were made following health advice from the Chief Medical Officer, also mean that all visa holders can travel to Australia without needing a travel exemption.

“As more and more of us travel internationally and we get more confident in managing our risk of COVID, our airports are getting busier,” Minister O’Neil said.

“Removing these requirements will not only reduce delays in our airports but will encourage more visitors and skilled workers to choose Australia as a destination.

“And for Australian citizens, with the removal of these requirements, returning home will be much easier.

“I know anyone who has travelled internationally since the borders have opened will find this as one less thing to worry about – especially as more Australians get back to travelling overseas.

“We’ve also listened to feedback about the DPD. While in time it will replace the paper based incoming passenger card, it needs a lot more work to make it user friendly”

Those arriving by sea will also benefit, and no longer need to complete a Maritime Travel Declaration. Airlines, cruise ship operators and other countries may still have specific requirements that travellers need to comply with.
Yet to find all the announcements on the Au govt web sites. They have changed with the new govt.

The DPD was terrible, Very poor software and hard to complete by many people.
Digital Passenger Declaration frequently asked questions

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 3, 2022 at 11:28 pm
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Just to be clear, traveling to Australia will be just like pre-pandemic times starting on Wednesday? No need for a foreign traveler to do anything pre-flight except to secure a tourist visa?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boybi
Just to be clear, traveling to Australia will be just like pre-pandemic times starting on Wednesday? No need for a foreign traveler to do anything pre-flight except to secure a tourist visa?
Yes. That's the way I read it.
States/territories may have on arrival requirements. Link-->https://www.australia.gov.au/states
Most states and territories require you to take a COVID-19 test within 24 hours of arriving in Australia. You should check this, and additional post-arrival testing requirements for the state or territory you arrive in and subsequently travel to.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. That's the way I read it.
States/territories may have on arrival requirements. Link-->https://www.australia.gov.au/states
It looks like all (or almost all) have either removed it or made it merely recommended.
kirkwoodj and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:28 pm

Question Australia DPD and testing requirement-arriving BNE

My wife is scheduled to fly to BNE at the end of August 2022.

With the current regulations she has to fill out the DPD as well as get tested the day she arrives in BNE.

From what I understand the DPD thing is no longer required.
But:
Does anyone have had this RAT done in BNE? I guess this is still mandatory?
Does it make any sense to have a scheduled appointment (in case of a delay that would be useless)?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:19 pm

bit of reading leads to answers

to answer my own question:

Entering Queensland from overseas
From 1am 30 June, international arrivals are no longer required to take a COVID-19 test on arrival into Queensland or quarantine on arrival.

Mod: feel free to delete thread.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 5, 2022 at 2:10 pm Reason: Font size
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Hi, hoping someone can help.

South Australia still seems to require a COVID test on arrival for international visitors:

"On arrival to SA, all travellers (vaccinated or unvaccinated) must undertake a rapid antigen test or PCR test on arrival and quarantine until they have taken the test." https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/w...l+and+covid-19

Is a self-administered RAT sufficient or is a supervised one needed?

Many thanks
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
If it doesn't say it's not sufficient, then it is sufficient.
jeffrocowboy likes this.

Last edited by bensyd; Jul 11, 2022 at 9:37 pm Reason: fixed spelling
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: QF Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Hi, hoping someone can help.

South Australia still seems to require a COVID test on arrival for international visitors:

"On arrival to SA, all travellers (vaccinated or unvaccinated) must undertake a rapid antigen test or PCR test on arrival and quarantine until they have taken the test." https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/w...l+and+covid-19

Many thanks
In case you still need to know, the details can be found in the South Australian COVID-19 directions IN FORCE. Specifically, take a look at the Emergency Management (COVID-19 Requirements)(Consolidated Measures) Direction 2022.

Part 4 of this Direction states:

An international arrival must...submit to a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test or COVID-19 PCR test immediately on their arrival in South Australia...
Part 1 of this Direction states:

COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test means a self-collected antigen based test (upper respiratory tract or oropharyngeal specimen test) to test for COVID-19...
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bensyd
I had a similar issue in that I have a double barrel surname but the second surname was only added when I was about 4 months old by which time I had already been registered with Medicare. As I've never needed to change it my Medicare name had always just been as it was the day I was born. The Services Australia people actually changed it over the phone and rang the passport office while I waited to confirm the correct details. It actually was pretty quick; I had been expecting it to take weeks.
Currently Pfizer bivalent vaccine is not available in Australia. If an Australian Citizen travelling to Canada gets vaccinated in Canada with Pfizer bivalent vaccine can it be added to Australian International vaccination certificate via Service Australia or Medicare?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Currently Pfizer bivalent vaccine is not available in Australia. If an Australian Citizen travelling to Canada gets vaccinated in Canada with Pfizer bivalent vaccine can it be added to Australian International vaccination certificate via Service Australia or Medicare?
Link--->https://www.tga.gov.au/products/covi...ised-australia
Link AIR --> https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...ation-register
Am sure have seen another AU list for CV19 vaccines.
AU govt web site links seem to go around in endless loops.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Link--->https://www.tga.gov.au/products/covi...ised-australia
Link AIR --> https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...ation-register
Am sure have seen another AU list for CV19 vaccines.
AU govt web site links seem to go around in endless loops.
Thank you for your prompt reply to my post.
On 27 October 2022, the Therapeutic Goods Administration of Australia provisionally approved the Pfizer (Comirnaty) Bivalent Original/Omicron BA.1 vaccine (subsequently referred to as Pfizer bivalent) for use as a booster COVID-19 vaccine in people aged 18 years and older
Not Pfizer (Comirnaty) Bivalent Original/Omicron BA.4/BA.5 covid19 . This is one that is authorised by Health Canada and is available in Canada .

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi...vid-19-vaccine
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Why do you need to do this? There is no longer any vaccine mandate in Australia and nobody will care about whether you have had or not had it.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tauphi
Why do you need to do this? There is no longer any vaccine mandate in Australia and nobody will care about whether you have had or not had it.
Unfortunately still need it for things like cruise ships and now entering Thailand. The current requirements might just be ‘two doses’, but who knows what it will be next week? They could require evidence of boosters.
pandaperth likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.