Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:33 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Hyperbole? Blogger says people outside of Australia may not be able to visit until 2024.

And the country has laid out a plan to re-open that seems nuts except when you consider that each time politicians impose greater restrictions in the country their popularity actually rises.

1. Reduce arriving Australians to limit the number of potential carriers of the virus, likely through end of 2021

2. Allow more Australians to return home, and let them quarantine for 7 days at home instead of two weeks in a state-managed facility (2022)

3. Eliminate travel restrictions for vaccinated citizens (date uncertain)

4. Allow vaccinated visitors without restriction, and unvaccinated visitors with a testing regime.
If this plan were actually followed it might be 2024 before people could visit Australia. That might even mean that non-residents couldn’t visit their families who live in Australia, though Australians could visit them by leaving the country perhaps in 2023.
https://viewfromthewing.com/australi...rs-until-2024/
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:20 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yet to be seen if VIC are reducing the 210 & SA reducing the 300 student arrivals (outside of the arrival caps)
Have those ever been implemented?

If this was HK, where Govt authorises commercial hotels to run quarantine but they run their own security (the public here are generally OK with this, supplemented by Police for abscondees), it will be ok for a uni (for profit or not) to say "we'll run our own quarantine facility. Government will inspect it, then we will staff it like any other commercial hotel".

But in Aus quarantine hotels are secured by government (either by ADF or state police https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...inet/100260840 ) . I don't see how an Aus uni/school can open such a quarantine facility without displacing a returning Australian citizen/permanent resident.

If governments allow this then I think Fair Go doesn't apply in Aus anymore.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by exp
Hyperbole? Blogger says people outside of Australia may not be able to visit until 2024.

https://viewfromthewing.com/australi...rs-until-2024/
i mean a blogger would know….

no evidence it will be 2023 or 2024. Suggestions that phase 2 begins early 2022. Also suggestions that phase 4 is in place by mid-late 2022

nb NT also did not request a reduction in caps and is taking more repatriation flights again
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
At the risk of politicising this thread, it’s like our Federal Government has carried over this “Stop the Boats” policy to “Stop the Planes”.
More like a bunch of Labor state premiers papering over there own inadequate systems. What really p!sses me off is how blunt this reduction is. A mRNA vaccinated arrival from Taiwan is treated exactly the same as an unvaccinated arrival from Indonesia.
Mwenenzi and HB7 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:28 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by nancypants
i mean a blogger would know….

no evidence it will be 2023 or 2024. Suggestions that phase 2 begins early 2022. Also suggestions that phase 4 is in place by mid-late 2022

nb NT also did not request a reduction in caps and is taking more repatriation flights again
There is no evidence that it won't be 2023 - and I would say you, me and the blogger have about the same knowledge of what is going on - precisely nothing. The evidence of how the government has gone about things, and where things stand now, 2023 - 2024 is the most realistic date for any easing of, well, any restrictions.

This is not a plan because there are no dates, no data, no indicators what we are looking for. We don't even know if we are currently in Phase 1 - or when will Phase 1 begin. The "trial" for home quarantine of vaccinated Australians has been reported by some (ET) as "due to begin in the coming months". Why hasn't it already started? When will it start? How long will it run for? What determines success?

This is, and will remain a complete shambles by the Federal and state governments. A statement based on intentions for actions at some point in the future is not a plan, or any sort of meaningful action. Simple as that.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
At the risk of politicising this thread, it’s like our Federal Government has carried over this “Stop the Boats” policy to “Stop the Planes”.
Originally Posted by bensyd
More like a bunch of Labor state premiers papering over there own inadequate systems.
Getting Australians home isn't a national priority with the voters.
It's just as popular as foreign aid - we should be seen to be doing it, but not if it hurts us https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...d9e53d6a411c6b

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
It is the states (other than NSW who wanted no change) who have stopped the planes. Fed's are increasing repatriation flights
Yet to be seen if VIC are reducing the 210 & SA reducing the 300 student arrivals (outside of the arrival caps)
Does expose a fault with our current constitutional arrangements - Commonwealth and states are set up to take opposite sides.
But currently, Commonwealth is motivated to bait the trap with the states' cheese.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:27 am

I was devastated by the news on Friday.
Come October it will be a year since I've seen my wife.
Looking at selling my house and getting off this prison Island never to return.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by bensyd
A mRNA vaccinated arrival from Taiwan is treated exactly the same as an unvaccinated arrival from Indonesia.
Ditto from here in Singapore. Vaccinated with Pfizer, we had all of 1 new community case today (after peaking a few weeks ago at 35), and can even inspect the app, to see if any exposure alters (vicinity of known cases).

They don't risk manage, there is no one thinking about anything other than how they can eliminate anyone from arriving ever again. Unless you are a celebrity or play sports, if that's the case, do what you like, because they know absolutely that genetically, celebrities and sports people have a gene that prevents them from transmitting COVID, even if they have it.

And I'm now waiting for the Grand Prix to go the way of the 2021 Singapore Grand Prix. Cancelled. It should be.

Little bit of trivia, they have three grades of travel into Australia - Adelaide and Perth are now taking a daily Dash 8-200. Melbourne and Brisbane a Q400 daily. Sydney gets a 737-800 and a Dash 8-200. That's all that is needed. So 3x Dash 8-200's, 2 x Q400s and 1 x737-800.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by HB7
There is no evidence that it won't be 2023 - and I would say you, me and the blogger have about the same knowledge of what is going on - precisely nothing.
Same knowledge as the Australian government, apparently.
HB7 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Ditto from here in Singapore. Vaccinated with Pfizer, we had all of 1 new community case today (after peaking a few weeks ago at 35), and can even inspect the app, to see if any exposure alters (vicinity of known cases).
I thought Singapore authorised Sinovac as well, but not offering them the same social distancing privileges https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-sinovac-shots

Not sure what quarantine reductions Singapore is proposing at the border for vaccinated.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by HB7
There is no evidence that it won't be 2023 - and I would say you, me and the blogger have about the same knowledge of what is going on - precisely nothing. The evidence of how the government has gone about things, and where things stand now, 2023 - 2024 is the most realistic date for any easing of, well, any restrictions.

This is not a plan because there are no dates, no data, no indicators what we are looking for. We don't even know if we are currently in Phase 1 - or when will Phase 1 begin. The "trial" for home quarantine of vaccinated Australians has been reported by some (ET) as "due to begin in the coming months". Why hasn't it already started? When will it start? How long will it run for? What determines success?

This is, and will remain a complete shambles by the Federal and state governments. A statement based on intentions for actions at some point in the future is not a plan, or any sort of meaningful action. Simple as that.
I’d like to believe I’m privvy to significantly more DoH briefings than you…
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by lokijuh
They don't risk manage, there is no one thinking about anything other than how they can eliminate anyone from arriving ever again.
This is the problem. Last year the CHO of Queensland was concerned about people from Sydney being in Byron Bay because that Crossroads Hotel cluster was ongoing. They literally had the border closed to NSW but she was concerned that people in Sydney might bring it to Byron and then somehow it would jump across the closed Qld border. When that's the "health advice" it's no wonder they refuse to do anything that might be perceived as risk taking. Good on Anna though for booking herself a holiday to Tokyo.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:22 am
HB7

Originally Posted by nancypants
I’d like to believe I’m privvy to significantly more DoH briefings than you…
Good for you. Since you have some sort of relationship with DoH, can you manage to also tell us how they, along with federal government have managed to stuff this up so badly?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by HB7
Good for you. Since you have some sort of relationship with DoH, can you manage to also tell us how they, along with federal government have managed to stuff this up so badly?
Because the vast majority of voters would prefer the Australian ‘stuff up’ to the European and American ‘stuff up’.
stewardo and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:14 am
HB7

Originally Posted by IMOA
Because the vast majority of voters would prefer the Australian ‘stuff up’ to the European and American ‘stuff up’.
Not sure if you've realised, we are in 2021 now, not 2020? Australia did great in 2020 (shutting your borders and not allowing anyone in isn't exactly rocket-science). However, right now, the vaccine roll-out is beyond abysmal and it is the worst in the OECD.

While Australia did very well last year, looking at the present situation, it is a massive problem economically and not to mention the mental health issues associated with a lockdown happening every 3 minutes.

Europe, the US, the UK absolutely got it horribly wrong last year - however, right now, Australia is a laughing stock thanks to what is going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.