Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HB7
The trial is going to have 100 people only? That's a ridiculously small number. You need to be doing much more than that to have a decent sample size.
100 people is almost certainly going to be a logistical trial rather than a risk-based trial. The real question is what is step 2 after this trial is complete.
nancypants and DC9 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:08 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
… The real question is what is step 2 after this trial is complete.
All that I’m hearing is the crickets. ☹️
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting development, as noted by ExecTrav link----> International arrivals to Australia must now declare Covid vaccination
<snip>
Additional questions include details of any previous Covid-19 diagnoses and, for those who have already been vaccinated, the brand used and the dates of your jabs – although proof of vaccination is also required.

At a later date, this could be used to determine if a passenger arriving from a low-risk country is permitted to spend seven days in home isolation rather than 14 days in hotel quarantine.

The federal government plans to trial home isolation for fully-vaccinated Australians returning to the country in the second half of this year.
<snip>
Au Govt web site (updated 14 July) ----> Australia Travel Declaration
<snip>

Once you’ve completed the Australia Travel Declaration, you will receive an email confirmation with details you can show (either electronically or printed) before you board your flight and on arrival in Australia.

Your email will have either a:
  • green response (with a tick), if you do not need to quarantine on arrival. This is based on your declaration that you are travelling to Australia from a country in Australia’s safe travel zone
  • blue response (with an hourglass), if you need to quarantine on arrival
  • red response (with a cross), your airline will decide if you can travel. If you are allowed to travel to Australia, you will need to quarantine on arrival.

Even if you have received the COVID-19 vaccine you must undergo 14 days of mandatory quarantine on arrival. This is to minimise the risk to the community from the introduction and spread of COVID-19.

All travellers should check the arrangements in both their place of arrival and place of final destination, as quarantine requirements are different in each Australian state and territory.
<snip>
But I expect it will be many months before the states/territories (some or all) accept vaccination to negate some or of the quarantine.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 15, 2021 at 10:23 pm
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But I expect it will be many months before the states/territories (some or all) accept vaccination to negate some or of the quarantine.
I expect it's very unlikely they will ever accept passengers making vaccine declarations as proof of vaccination.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm surprised it took them this long to even start collecting such data. When I flew to Australia in April I was fully vaccinated, but at no point was I asked about that.

Knowing what percentage of arrivals are vaccinated would seem like important data - especially if then compared with the incidence of positive tests during quarantine. This is data they should be using to decide if home quarantine is an option or not, but given they weren't even collecting it...
lokijuh, A1pax, Croupier and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm surprised it took them this long to even start collecting such data.
My variation on this comment is more subtle. I should be surprised that they took this long to start collecting such data but unfortunately I’m not.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not that surprising given the AU state governments reducing the international arrivals
19 Jul 2021 (ExecTrav)---->American Airlines suspends Sydney flights
However, an update to American's schedule – published this morning on the booking systems used by travel agents – now says the LA-Sydney flight AA73 would be suspended from August 31 until October 29.
20 Jul 2021 (news.com.au)---->American Airlines pulls flights into Sydney amid Covid-19 passenger caps
A major international airline says it will stop all flights to Australia in September after the government slashed the number of international arrivals.Australia due to a reduction in the cap for international arrivals.

American Airlines has announced it will suspend all of its passenger and cargo services from LA into Sydney, its only route into the country, from September 1. The airline said flights would not resume until at least late October, according to Nine News.

It apologised to affected passengers and will reach out to offer alternative arrangements. “Due to the ongoing travel restrictions surrounding the coronavirus (Covid-19), American is suspending customer and cargo flights between Los Angeles and Sydney between Sept 1 and Oct 28,” the airline said. American Airlines last week revealed it would fly planes that were 20 per cent empty due to caps on international arrivals.
<snip>
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...e-d854aa513b0e

13 Jul 2021 --->https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...2-af476634210d
<snip>
"On the following days in July and August, the Australian government has advised that we're not able to transport customers on the route due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic: July 12, 16, 17, 19, 22, 26, 28 and 31, August 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 27.
"We're reaching out to customers scheduled to travel on the affected flights to offer alternate arrangements."
<snip>
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...13-p589f6.html
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazing how sentiment, predictably, shifted once we had an outbreak. A few people I knew in their 50s who were waiting for Pfizer (which is now available) have instead opted to go and get AZ immediately. It's also becoming pretty apparent that lockdowns and travel restrictions have done their dash. It will be pretty hard to convince a vaccinated population to sign up to ScoMo's 4 phase plan with no dates – his support is cratering over the vaccine fiasco and he's got an election.

A narrow majority of the community wants political leaders to phase out the use of lockdowns and border controls as more people are vaccinated, amid a sharp fall in the number who are reluctant to get a jab.

With millions of people subject to health orders that curb their movement, a new survey finds that 54 per cent of voters believe lockdowns and border restrictions should be gradually discontinued over the coming months as more people are inoculated against COVID-19.

Only 19 per cent disagree with the idea of phasing out the curbs while another 27 per cent are neutral or undecided, highlighting the tension over whether to pursue strict health controls despite warnings over the economic and social cost.

The findings are part of an exclusive survey that reveals a fall in vaccine hesitancy at the same time as the recent surge in coronavirus case numbers, with 21 per cent saying they are unlikely to get a jab compared to 29 per cent two months ago.

In the latest survey, 21 per cent said they were unlikely to be vaccinated, with the number split between 9 per cent who were “not very likely” and 12 per cent who were “not at all likely” to take up an offer to be vaccinated in the next few months. The question named AstraZeneca and Pfizer as the two main options.

“People are getting vaccinated in far higher numbers now, and more are willing to do so,” Mr Reed said. “That’s partly a result of more supply for more age groups, part people seeing the risk of not being vaccinated as we suffer outbreaks, and part a cycle of reinforcement as those around us get the jab.”
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...20-p58bbs.html
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:56 pm

Not that surprising given the AU state governments reducing the international arrivals
The Newscorp article states;

American Airlines last week revealed it would fly planes that were 20 per cent empty due to caps on international arrivals.
The article below states:

The carrier last week revealed the international caps meant it has to make the 12,000km trip from LA to Sydney at less than 80 per cent capacity.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...?ocid=msedgntp

In what universe do people who write these articles live? Less than 80% capacity is at least more accurate than 20% empty as the true load of 5-10% of seats filled is less than 80%.
lokijuh and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
In what universe do people who write these articles live?
The universe without sub-editors.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're never going back to zero in Sydney/NSW and the government has all but announced this. So we're now going to have a 3 month vaccine drive, while these restrictions are in place, and then Sydney will reopen with few restrictions. ie NSW will no longer be aiming to suppress, let alone eliminate, the virus. At the very least, I'm glad we now have the shaping of a pathway out.

Given how insistent the NSW government has been about the urgency of opening back up to the world I wouldn't be surprised if Sydney is open to international arrivals before state borders to NSW reopen. Fine by me.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:21 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
When are the elections?

Maybe if there's enough vaccination progress by then, politicians will vie for changing policies, depending on which way the electorate seems to be leaning.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
When are the elections?

Maybe if there's enough vaccination progress by then, politicians will vie for changing policies, depending on which way the electorate seems to be leaning.
Federal before July 2022, Victoria late 2022, NSW 2023 sometime. I have no idea about the rest of the country, but I can tell you in Sydney this is it. As far as most of us are concerned this is the final countdown before we get on with life; it's abundantly clear this is also the state government's position. What I've heard is early/mid-November restrictions will be gone in Sydney.

The NSW government has been insistent that restrictions (daily life, state borders and international arrivals) need to end ASAP – it's part of the reason why Gladys (NSW Premier) refused the Commonwealth's offer to build quarantine facilities in NSW. As I said a few months ago in this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if NSW re-opens to the world before other states re-open to it.
wanderlustFL likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
The NSW government has been insistent that restrictions (daily life, state borders and international arrivals) need to end ASAP – it's part of the reason why Gladys (NSW Premier) refused the Commonwealth's offer to build quarantine facilities in NSW. As I said a few months ago in this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if NSW re-opens to the world before other states re-open to it.
It may happen but it won't be a decision that Gladys will have any power to make. (unless she runs for Federal Parliament at next year's election, the Libs get reelected and Gladys rolls Scottie Boy as PM - quite a trifecta to stake your money on)
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Well the QLD border snapped shut and my chance of a first nice holiday in 2 years has ended. Accommodation in the Port Douglas area has skyrocketed. I was paying $800 a night. NOrmally about $500 a night I think. I cannot reschedule as the only thing available are 3 bedroom villas at 3 times the price. Well that sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.