Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I recommend driving the Great Ocean Road while you are in Melbourne, and stopping in a beach town along the way. It's a world-renowned coastal drive, so you can experience that on the way to your lazy beach excursion. That's assuming you are OK driving in Australia, but you probably won't find too many quiet beach towns without a car.

While the GOR is a major tourist attraction, not many people actually stop and stay at the beach towns, many either try to do it all in a day or stay at the end then return.

Check our Lorne. it's lovely. that said, check the weather. It will be warmer up north, so depends on what climate you prefer.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Just did the "Manly to Spit walk" and stopped at roughly 15 beaches which nobody around, also some seawater pool next to the beach on the way
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Tathra near Bega (south of Sydney) is a nice old-fashioned little beach place. The occasional whale meanders by from time to time.

I agree with Bensyd about Melbourne vs Brisbane. I spend a fair bit of time in Brisbane (I have family there), and it's really pleasant, but it's just another city. Melbourne on the other hand is a great city with lots to offer a visitor.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Jul 5, 2016 at 11:56 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
At that time of year,avoid the Gold Coast near Brisbane.

I'd say:
- Gerringong (90 mins south of SYD)
- Culburra (2 and a bit hours south of SYD)
- Mt Martha (90 mins SE of Melbourne)
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:32 am

Thanks for the suggestions all! We do plan on renting a car, so that will make access much easier. Is it worth taking a leisurely drive to Melbourne from Sydney (maybe stopping at beach towns along the way), and then taking a one-way flight back? Or is it kind of a bland drive? Perhaps that time would be better spent in the cities?

Also are there any "unusual sites" along the way that may be worth checking out? We love things that are out-of-the-norm.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:58 pm

Sydney and Tasmana Itinerary Help

First time poster here, and trying to plan my trip to Australia for 10 days in early August. This will be my first time in Australia (got the $650 dollar flight from NYC),and just wanted to see what you guys think of my itinerary and if you have any suggestions. I tried to not do too much so I can enjoy it, instead of constantly traveling. I originally wanted to do cairns and great barrier reef but felt its a bit pricey and decided to do Tasmania instead ( I'm sure I will be back in Australia to see the other sites at some point).

For a frame of reference I am a 30 year old male traveling alone who is looking for a mix of eco-tourism, cultural tourism, and nightlife. I'm planning to stay at a mix of hostels and hotels throughout the trip. Also I wanted to ask how the water temperatures are in Australia in the winter, can I swim at all? Thanks!

Day 1 Sydney - Day trip to Katoomba on the train. Plan to see the three sisters and blue mountains. Overnight in Kings Cross

Day 2 Sydney - Plan to rent a car drive to Kangaroo Valley, Jervis Bay and Kiama. Plan to see kiama blowhole. Dive back at night and return car next morning. Overnight in Kings Cross

Day 3 Sydney - Check out Bondi Beach, Opera house, and maybe the local zoo. Overnight in Bondi

Day 4 Sydney - Check out Fish market, Royal botanic garden, take ferry to Manly Beach. Overnight in Manly

Day 5 Sydney - Not sure yet - keeping day open.

Day 6 Hobart (Tasmania) - Morning flight to Hobart - walk up mount wellington, and take a tour of a local brewery/ whisky distillery. Overnight in Downtown Hobart

Day 7 Port Arthur (Tasmania) - Rent a car and drive to Port Arthur and tour fortescue bay. Stay overnight in Eaglehawk neck bay

Day 8 Swansea (Tasmania) - Drive to Swansea and on the way stop over to see Maria Island and tour island. In Swansea - do a fairy penguin tour and eat at Melshell Oysters. Stay Overnight in Swansea

Day 9 Bicheno (Tasmania) - Drive to Bicheno and on the way see the Freycinet peninsula and Coles bay. See the devils in the dark tour in Bicheno. Overnight stay in Bicheno

Day 10 Hobart (Tasmania) - Drive Back to Hobart - open day. Overnight in Hobart

Day 11 Sydney (Australia) - Flight back to Sydney - open day. Overnight stay in Sydney (maybe closer to airport)
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Thanks for the suggestions all! We do plan on renting a car, so that will make access much easier. Is it worth taking a leisurely drive to Melbourne from Sydney (maybe stopping at beach towns along the way), and then taking a one-way flight back? Or is it kind of a bland drive? Perhaps that time would be better spent in the cities?

Also are there any "unusual sites" along the way that may be worth checking out? We love things that are out-of-the-norm.
Melbourne Sydney by road: look here (similar threads on this topic by same person)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...logistics.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...s-syd-mel.html

The coastal route is OK if you take 2 or 3 or 4 days.
The inland route MEL - SYD on the Hume Highway is less than bland. Do not drive the Hume: just fly.
Or there is a (slowish) train. Only a little less bland and can be $$$$.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by MastaHanky

There's nothing that will make you go "wow", but it is a nice part of the world. If you drive from Sydney to Melbourne then it opens up places like Bega, that BadgerBoi mentioned, because they are equidistant from Sydney and Melbourne. The far south coast of NSW (Sapphire Coast) is very pretty. Most Sydneysiders go north for holidays, so the south coast, past about Jervis Bay, tends to be far less touristy than if you head north from Sydney.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've only been in Tas for 4 months but I am told that Maria Island and the Tasman Peninsula are a must. Hobart has some nightlife when the students are about, but be aware it is a small town by comparison to Sydney! Also be aware August is the coldest month; bring woolies and rain gear and be pleasantly surprised if the sun shines. I should say I really like it here; I see wildlife in and around town and can get to really quiet beaches and forests in no time.

Water temps in winter are ok in NSW, not so much in Tas! Currently about 20°C open ocean at Sydney and 12°C around Hobart; refer to AODN OceanCurrent for up-to-date sea surface temps (link).

Sydney has good public transport. You don't really need to move around while you stay there. A general comment would be to do the day trips later to allow yourself to get over the jet lag and that your day trip driving south will be very long.

Some comments on the Tas part:
Day 6 - most of the whisky and brewery tours I am aware of are day tours that visit several sights; you wouldn't have time to do that and walk up Mt Wellington. Also don't forget the cider! In fact walking up Mt Wellington is a bit of an effort, because there is only public transport to Fern Tree, from which it is about 20km round trip to the top and back. Might be better to hire a car and drive up in the morning, then do whisky/beer/cider tasting too.
Day 8 - the ferry to Maria Island requires a full day trip or overnight (one ferry each way, am and pm). I have heard it is well worth doing, but be aware when you get back into Triabunna it will be dusk and there will be wildlife about. I cannot emphasise enough how you need to drive slowly at dawn, dusk and night, poised to make an emergency stop, because the wildlife is everywhere. When the signs say advised 45 km/hr they mean it!

And once you get out of Hobart you'll want to plan ahead for meals, even the tourist towns will be quiet because it is winter, so check restaurant opening times or book self catering.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:30 am

FWIW, I applied for a Citi Prestige card which provided the 4th night free at any hotel booked through them (prices were not much more than booking.com). I have 4 nights booked in SYD (4th night free) and will be booking 4 in MEL. The card is $450 but that's cheaper than one night at my SYD hotel and the signup bonus plus the points from booking the hotels are transferable 1:1 to Qantas and will pay for our SYD<>MEL round trip for 4. It also provides access to Admiral's Clubs and a bunch of other stuff which made this card a no brainer.

It's not as cheap as using HHonors points or other hotel reward programs, but the HHonors rates in Sydney were off the chart. I mean literally off the chart. The highest cost room shown on the hhonors chart is at a class 10 property and it shows 70-95k points per night. trying to redeem one night in SYD via the HHonors website showed the cheapest room to be well over 100K points per night (IIRC at the time I checked I think it was 130k points)

Last edited by robr; Jul 7, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Before you get too far, the drop fees on one way rentals can be large. Yes, there are ways to avoid it, but make sure you consider this. Id fly between and then drive out from each of the respective cities for the exploring...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you can find sign up bonuses, SPG is an option in Melbourne or Sydney, where they will always have points nights available whilst they are still selling rooms. Cash + points can be cost effective but harder to come by. I also recommend Accor because of the number of properties that they have. Because you are coming in winter (so particularly for Melbourne), be aware there are usually room sales a few months out. It's a bit of a risk, especially if there is a conference or event on, but I got rooms in the centre of Melbourne over a weekend in June for AUD$150 per night and even the high end properties of each brand were selling for around AUD$300. So you will probably get best value by spending points on Sydney hotels at that time of year.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
I have looked at Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt, and others and it seems that there are little to no hotel rooms in Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns available using points.

I am looking at a year out to see what the availability is and we plan to travel down with the family in June 2017. Will it be best to try and lock in rooms with points in July 2016 for June 2017 travel or do they open up more rooms closer to the search dates?

Any advice as to which program I should accumulate points in and the best way to get reward nights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.
I looked at all 3 available weeks in June 2017, and all 3 Marriott hotels in Sydney are available for all 3 weeks. Same with the one property in Melbourne.

There's no harm in reserving rooms now. You can always release and change them. And it provides some insurance against points increases.

We found SPG to provide the best value in Sydney, and stayed with SPG in Port Douglas rather than Cairns.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Your trip looks good if a bit rushed, Jetsfan27. I guess it really depends on whether you want to be constantly moving around or have a few days of downtime. That drive to Jervis Bay and Kangaroo Valley will be a very, very long day. I'd consider overnighting in Jervis Bay or Kangaroo Valley. Also coming straight off a flight and heading up to Katoomba might end up being something that looks good on paper but once the reality of jetlag hits...

You could probably change the order you do things. For instance, the Botanical Gardens are literally next door to the Opera House. So you could visit both then get a ferry to Manly, rather than making two trips.

ETA: And welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by konagirl2
Water temps in winter are ok in NSW, not so much in Tas! Currently about 20°C open ocean at Sydney and 12°C around Hobart; refer to AODN OceanCurrent for up-to-date sea surface temps (link).
Oh yeah, the sea temps in Australia are actually pretty cold all year round. It's partly explains why the continent is so dry. SE Qld is on about the same latitude as southern Florida, but never gets cyclones.

Last edited by bensyd; Jul 7, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Personally I'd pick one hotel in sydney and stay there... Use that as a base and explore forth. Switching hotels daily is a pita.

Agree with another comment about heading to katoomba on day one after a 20 hour flight in coach...(we spent the first day at the rocks, circular quay, botanical gardens-with a few coffee breaks- then dinner over in manly and back to SYD for bed.)

As others have pointed out Tas will be cold and possibly rainy. If you look up historical weather and like that experience, great. Just be aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.