Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by mordy2000
Good feedback re: weather and Blue Mountains. I'll scratch that from the list. We enjoy museums, and yes, hikes. I did see mention of the Botanical Gardens, Museum of Contemporary Art, Hyde Park Barrack... would also like to visit the Jewish Museum. If we do Manly and Spit Bridge, is it worth walking Bondi > Coogee or will it be too cold? Are there cool art galleries?

As for shopping, we like perusing upscale boutiques and window shopping... always looking for something different (Lisbon was pretty awesome in that regard). Heard Newtown might be good for that?

BTW, instead of PH, I was considering IC in Double Bay (only because I am IHG Platinum) -- any comparison or should I stick with PH?
Newtown is like the East Village/Williamsburg shopping wise. If you want more of the Madison Avenue experience you're going to want to look at Paspaley Pearls in Marin Place, Westfield Centrepoint and the area around King Street and Castlereagh Street in the city.

July is going to be the depths of the Sydney winter so either coast walk will be cold and windy. Both have their own attractions. The Manly to Spit is in the inner harbour whilst the Bondi to Coogee is against the sea.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
OT a bit:

(Comment on the Spit to Manly hike- have done it 3 times over 14 years. Always a great hike- last time was in March, very warm- (Ive also done it in august, brisk to be sure.)

Midway along, we come to a construction zone: 4 workers, gas powered tools (drills, chisels, motorised wheelbarrow) slogging away at laying stonework along the trail. Massive polymer sacks, a cubic meter or so each with a sling attachment, have been hauled in by helicopter. (The location was at least half a mile from the nearest access point.) Clusters of them along the trail every 30 feet or so- 4 here, 8 there, each prolly half a ton of material each- 3ft long stones, 10"x10" across; crushed road, etc..... There had to be 50 sacks, each one a helicopter trip at some point. These guys have been at it for the last month and had a few more to go. Nice and friendly. Trail was very good and accessible- a far cry from 14 years ago.)

OP- there are a few threads on PH vs Langham vs ShangriLa vs 4 seasons...worth reviewing. Might be in the luxury hotel forum? I used to stay at the regent, then renamed FS...before shangrila bought ANA. Once Shangrila was there, Ive always stayed there, as FS has really declined by many reports. Over the course of my last 4 days there on a horizon club floor, we would see a massive cruise ship docked in front of the PH every morning- we would wonder 'If I was staying at the PH, Id be super annoyed if my view was of a boat'. I dont know which PH rooms get which views- but definitely worth researching carefully...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:10 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
IC Double Bay is much cheaper and less posh than PH, both are fairly recently renovated. Personally I stay at Shangri-La which is half the PH price and nicer if you get a grand deluxe room (and still half the PH price ). Martin Place has several jewelers which start at $100k and go up but probably not the souvenirs you are looking for. Paspaley can do nice pearls for less, but cheapest I've bought was over $10k and a single pearl. Jimmy Choo store in Sydney is one of the better ones in the world and maybe cheaper now with exchange rates. Chanel is not (Singapore still cheaper than Oz for that).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I would keep Blue Mountains as Plan A, and see what the weather is like on the day and if it's wet go for something else. The Blue Mountains are truly beautiful.

Bondi - Coogee walk is great, it shouldn't be too cold, and IMHO much more interesting that Manly. Although a ferry trip to Many is fantastic, the best way to see the harbour. However, if you're going to the zoo you should go by ferry and you still get a great feel for the harbour.

Newtown is great fun, very buzzy, but I wouldn't think of going there for upmarket shopping. Interesting shops and restaurants, fun for people watching and window shopping. All of my overseas visitors have loved Newtown. I'm not much of a shopper, so my opinion mightn't count for much.

I'm not a fan of Double Bay, just a bit out of the way. But if you get a good deal, it's ok.

The Sydney weather is likely to be sunny but cool, the wettest time of year is summer.
I pretty much agree with what the Badger says.

There's a bit of upmarket shopping around Paddington. If you start at The Intersection You could walk along Glenmore Road to Five Ways stop for lunch there then head up to William Street or Queen Street in Woollahra, or both.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd
I pretty much agree with what the Badger says.

There's a bit of upmarket shopping around Paddington. If you start at The Intersection You could walk along Glenmore Road to Five Ways stop for lunch there then head up to William Street or Queen Street in Woollahra, or both.
I used to love that area when I lived in Queen St, quirky little shops and very Sydney. The Castlereagh St area in the CBD leaves me a bit cold, the usual Tiffany etc type of stores that you get in any major city in the world.

Is the pub at Five Ways still good for a meal? What's it called again?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I used to love that area when I lived in Queen St, quirky little shops and very Sydney. The Castlereagh St area in the CBD leaves me a bit cold, the usual Tiffany etc type of stores that you get in any major city in the world.

Is the pub at Five Ways still good for a meal? What's it called again?
The Royal? Yeah, the food is still very good. The rooftop area at the Royal is one of my favourite places in Sydney for a beer (it's very small though so you got to get there early). Amazing view, looking over Paddington terraces, down to Rushcutters Bay, up to Kings Cross and through to the city. Can't get a more Sydney view than that!

I agree on Castlereagh St, the rents keep the smaller independent places out.

Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:01 am

SYD and travel logistics

I've learned reading through the forums here that having a car in SYD is a liability. What is the best approach in my circumstance?

I have a family of 4, none of us have ever been to Australia. We are leaving the US on Thanksgiving Day. We're still trying to figure out our exact itinerary... ie # of days in SYD, then the plan was drive to Melbourne along the GOR (need to identify stuff to do along this route still), spend some time in Melbourne, then drive over to Phillip Island, then drive back to SYD (inland route, perhaps via Blue Mountains) and spend a couple more days in SYD before we fly back home to the US. We have about 2 weeks total in AUS.

It's a lot of driving, but it seems it would be much much much cheaper to drive the entire route rather than rent a car one way and paying the drop fee and flying 4 of us from Melbourne back to SYD.

Anyway, I digress (but certainly appreciate any input to 'the plan'). I'm going to have a bunch of luggage when I arrive, so if I don't rent a car at the airport, is there a car service someone would recommend to get us all to the hotel (whatever hotel that is, I haven't figured out yet)? Or maybe it's just an UberX if that's common there? Uber is banned from my local airport so dunno if that's the case there.

Then it seems the plan would be for me to go rent a car when we're ready to leave SYD, drive it to the hotel, load up the family and luggage and head out of the city.

Last edited by robr; Jun 21, 2016 at 11:14 am
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:39 pm

I would just do UberX. I used Uber all over Sydney with no issues at all.

I also had a mixed trip with no car in the city and then driving out of the city and we just took Uber to the airport to grab the car just like you suggest for yourself.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robr
I've learned reading through the forums here that having a car in SYD is a liability. What is the best approach in my circumstance?

I have a family of 4, none of us have ever been to Australia. We are leaving the US on Thanksgiving Day. We're still trying to figure out our exact itinerary... ie # of days in SYD, then the plan was drive to Melbourne along the GOR (need to identify stuff to do along this route still), spend some time in Melbourne, then drive over to Phillip Island, then drive back to SYD (inland route, perhaps via Blue Mountains) and spend a couple more days in SYD before we fly back home to the US. We have about 2 weeks total in AUS.

It's a lot of driving, but it seems it would be much much much cheaper to drive the entire route rather than rent a car one way and paying the drop fee and flying 4 of us from Melbourne back to SYD.

Anyway, I digress (but certainly appreciate any input to 'the plan'). I'm going to have a bunch of luggage when I arrive, so if I don't rent a car at the airport, is there a car service someone would recommend to get us all to the hotel (whatever hotel that is, I haven't figured out yet)? Or maybe it's just an UberX if that's common there? Uber is banned from my local airport so dunno if that's the case there.

Then it seems the plan would be for me to go rent a car when we're ready to leave SYD, drive it to the hotel, load up the family and luggage and head out of the city.
A few things...

First, UberX is legal in NSW and no problems at all using at the airport.

Second, I think you may need to check a map. The GoR is west of Melbourne and starts in Torquay and finishes in Warnambool. It is not the coastal route between Sydney and Melbourne. The inland route between Sydney and Melbourne doesn't really go near the Blue Mountains (although it's a relatively easy day trip from Sydney). The South Coast of NSW is very nice, but I'm not sure I'd drive all the way to Melbourne and then all the way back. Why not fly down to Melbourne and then fly back to the US from there?

Thirdly, it sounds as though you like nature. Have you considered Tasmania?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
For the GOR, 2 nights is still a bit rushed but quite doable, 3 nights is even better. Lots of little things to do along the way such as stopping at beaches, a lighthouse, the 12 Apostles, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At SYD there will be maxi-cabs (taxi) that can take 4 people with luggage. Or the shuttle. However Uber will cheaper.
Or https://prioritytransfers.com.au/

The Great Ocean Road (GOR) is south west of Melbourne. Basically on the coastal route from Melbourne to Adelaide. The coastal route from Sydney to Melbourne is the Princes Highway. 99% of the time the road is inland and some distance away from the coast. Allow 2 to 3 days to drive the Princes Highway to allow some stops. Still a far better drive than the direct Hume Highway route which now is now mostly a boring dual freeway, with many large trucks.

Phillip Island is south of Melbourne. So if driving the Princes Highway route (or Gippsland highway) better to turn left to Phillip Island and stay over night. The main PI attraction is the penguins at dusk. Leave for Melbourne mid morning to avoid the morning suburban traffic.

To get from Melbourne to the Blue Mountains you need to drive Melbourne-Albury–Wagga Wagga-Young-Cowra-Bathurst-Lithgow-Kotoomba. Allow 2 days (or more) if you want to stop along the way.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 21, 2016 at 6:06 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
At SYD there will be maxi-cabs (taxi) that can take 4 people with luggage. Or the shuttle. However Uber will cheaper.
Or https://prioritytransfers.com.au/
Just to expand on this, when you reach the head of the queue at the taxi rank at SYD international the attendant will direct you to the left where the cabs with greater capacity for luggage are waiting.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions. We decided to make a last-minute switch and head to Bangkok instead for this year. Australia will go back on the bucket list... for now

Mordy
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:11 pm

I would say you could actually have a car in Sydney, it may end up cheaper to take a two week rental than just having a rental for a couple of days here and there. You're looking at around AUD1,000 for a two week rental plus fuel and tolls.

There are plenty of city motels that you could stay at which allow parking for free and are still pretty central. The Twin Towers in Artarmon is one.

As for route you could easily go SYD - Blue Mountains - Goulburn/Canberra - Geelong - GOR - Melbourne - Phillip Island - Bairnsdale - Mollymook - SYD in about 8 - 10 days. The one word of warning is that these roads are more PCH than Interstate in quality.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by mordy2000
Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions. We decided to make a last-minute switch and head to Bangkok instead for this year. Australia will go back on the bucket list... for now

Mordy
Your loss

Hang on to the advice here until you see the error of your ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.