Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:12 pm

We've eliminated the mornington peninsular. All the stuff there was basically 'if we have time this might be interesting' sort of stuff.

I reworked the schedule but will need a car for one night in Melbourne to get to Moonlit Sanctuary for the PM tour. Their website has a whole 'how to get here' section and it doesn't seem any option is practical but driving.

Here's the updated schedule based on suggestions you guys have shared. Dec 6 is still a long 6 hour drive but it's doable. Dec 7 has a lot of stuff, but I think some will be quick and we can push some to Dec 8 before we return to Melbourne that night.

Thanks for everybody's help. I think we're getting close!
Code:
Nov 26 - Arrive SYD  - stay at Quay West Suites

* Drop bags at hotel
* Recommended to do this tour at 1030am to help get bearings.  Ends by the
hotel:
http://www.imfree.com.au/sydney/
Starts:  Town Hall Square.  George St between Sydney Town Hall and St Andrew’s Cathedral.
* Opera house
* Harbor Bridge
* Rocks for Dinner
* Possibly Sydney Observatory
Nov 27
* Coastal walk, beaches
* Nov 28
* Botanical Gardens
* Shopping at Queen Victoria
* Sydney Tower
Nov 29
* EcoTours to Blue Mountains - 11am pickup
Nov 30 - RENT CAR FROM SYD
* Drive to Featherdale Wildlife Park (toward Blue Mtns)
* Stay at Alpaca farm B&B about 90 minutes from airport
Dec 1
* Drop off Rental car, fly to Melbourne
* Star Wheel Melbourne
* The Grid (Car racing sim)
* Stay at ?????? 
Dec 2
* Federation Square
* Moving Image
* Sky Deck
* Check for local events
* Dinner with local friends
Dec 3
* (could rent car today and go from beach to moonlit sanctuary)
* Day trip to Brighton Beach (bath houses)
Dec 4
* Pick up rental car
* Moonlit Sanctuary
* Back to Melbourne (4th night free - something to think about if we want to combine beach/sanctuary and move up rest of schedule by 1 day)
Dec 5
* Phillip Island - Chocolate factory
* Rhyll Trout fishing/lunch on Phillip Island
* Nobbies
* See penguins in PM
* Stay at ???????? on Phillip Island
Dec 6
* Leave Phillip Island 
* 6 hour drive via GOR to Lavers Hill/Melba Gully for Glow Worms
* Stay ??????? in this area
Dec 7
* Otway Fly Treetop Adventures
* Drive 1 hour to Port Campbell via GOR
* Twelve Apostles
* Gibson steps
* Loch Ard Gorge
* Grotto
* Stay in Port Campbell - Sea Glimpse Farm
Dec 8
* Anything leftover from Dec 7
* Drive back to Melbourne - 3 hours
* Drop off rental car tonight
* (Possibly fly to SYD and stay near airport)
Dec 9
* Fly from MEL to SYD
* 1130am flight from SYD back to US via United

Last edited by robr; Jun 30, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Then I'd recommend ending Dec 6 around Geelong or Torquay, use the 7th for the full day GOR drive to Port Campbell, and move the 12/7 items to 12/8.
Originally Posted by robr
We've eliminated the mornington peninsular. All the stuff there was basically 'if we have time this might be interesting' sort of stuff.
I would vote for keeping the Mornington Peninsular after PI, and move the 12/7 items to 12/8. A lot to do in the peninsular. Split what was Dec 6 into 2 slower less hetic days as suggested above.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to stumble upon this thread. Our family of four (with daughters 15 and 13 at time of travel) will be heading to Australia and New Zealand in June 2017 for three weeks. I have no plans for OZ other than I want to dive the GBR, hang out in Sydney, and check out other uniquely Australian people, places, animals, and activities (including lots of wine tasting). As for NZ, I want to see Milford Sound, walk on a glacier or two, and relax in thermal pools.

All of your information has been fantastic, so thank you. OP, please be sure to let us know what you end up doing and provide guidance for those who will follow (me!)..
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:12 pm

What would you recommend in the Mornington Peninsular? The items my wife had didn't seem all that exciting upon second glance which is why we decided to skip it. The hot springs looked really cool but then we read up on their kid policy and that killed that idea.

If we combine Brighton beach with the moonlit sanctuary, we pick up an entire free day then can shift PI up a day. I don't want the 8th to be too nuts since we may either fly back that night to SYD or if not, we have to be at the airport the next morning by 430am for a 6am flight.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Don in LA
Cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to stumble upon this thread. Our family of four (with daughters 15 and 13 at time of travel) will be heading to Australia and New Zealand in June 2017 for three weeks. I have no plans for OZ other than I want to dive the GBR, hang out in Sydney, and check out other uniquely Australian people, places, animals, and activities (including lots of wine tasting). As for NZ, I want to see Milford Sound, walk on a glacier or two, and relax in thermal pools.

All of your information has been fantastic, so thank you. OP, please be sure to let us know what you end up doing and provide guidance for those who will follow (me!)..
Biggest tip is not to try to do too much and try to go to too many places in too short a time. Travel distances in Aus/NZ are usually underestimated.

Provide your arriving and departing cities and dates and we can provide more advice.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:14 am

Provide your arriving and departing cities and dates and we can provide more advice

Not OP, but I'll bite.

Arrive 4 Nov 2016 in SYD; depart 30 Nov from PER. I'd like to hit:
  • GBR
  • Tasmania
  • Wine Country
  • Outback

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:18 am

Please start a new thread or this will get really confusing for me. Thanks

Originally Posted by scubaerin
Provide your arriving and departing cities and dates and we can provide more advice

Not OP, but I'll bite.

Arrive 4 Nov 2016 in SYD; depart 30 Nov from PER. I'd like to hit:
  • GBR
  • Tasmania
  • Wine Country
  • Outback

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I may be biased about the gold coast- only there once on business- but it seems like a gaudy south florida scene. Friends in Australia once said. "Oh is just terrible- you MUST go an see it though"

I struck me as a convenient place for the masses to consume 'beach fun' on a scale not seen elsewhere in Australia.

But thats me. Again, a very limited view from quite far away.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Eternity000

We would like to spend one week on the Gold Coast, so that leaves one week we need to decide on.
It's schoolies in mid-November so you do not want to spend one day on the Gold Coast, let alone one week. Unless kids on their first holiday away from home getting blind drunk is your thing, in which case you'd be a toolie.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by robr
What would you recommend in the Mornington Peninsular? ....
Only 2 things are noteworthy, wine tasting and horseback riding. Possible to do both at once (wine tasting tours on horseback are offered). Otherwise it is pretty country, but not special (it is like Napa but Yarra Valley is more developed and has better wines plus closer to Melb). The ferry across is somewhat interesting if you want a circle tour.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:00 pm

Looking for a quiet beach town somewhere outside of Sydney or Melbourne.

Hi all,

We have a two-week trip booked for Australia, November 2-16. We're in our mid-30s and this will be our first time to Australia for both of us.

We intend on just seeing two cities (Sydney and probably either Melbourne or Brisbane) to not rush our itinerary.

That said, the other half would like to spend 2-3 days at a small quiet beach town. We're not looking for diving, snorkeling or water sports - just a place that is preferably not overrun by tourists with some good sand to lay on. I figure there have got to be some that are just a couple hour drive outside a major metro - any suggestions?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyams Beach south of Sydney would be my pick.

Also, if I had my choice I would visit Melbourne over Brisbane any day of the week. Brisbane is probably a nice place to live, but most of what south east Queensland offers is north or south of Brisbane.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:35 pm

I wouldn't even think you'd need to head out of Sydney, look at Whale Beach, Avalon Beach or Bilgola Beach.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I wouldn't even think you'd need to head out of Sydney, look at Whale Beach, Avalon Beach or Bilgola Beach.
They don't really fit into "small quiet beach town" though. They're more like suburban beaches.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I may be biased about the gold coast- only there once on business- but it seems like a gaudy south florida scene.
I think it is precisely like that. And I would NOT say 'go see it', unless the person wanted that type of scene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.