Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by calittlemac
Thanks for the info on train to MEL. Another question. If we wanted to say in the Blue Mountains for several days and do day hikes, what town would be best? If you have recommendations for places to stay, I'd be interested. We will not have a car, so close to train station or somewhere we can catch a taxi/from hotel and trailhead would be good to know, too.
As I said, Katoomba would be best if you go by train. It is the main town in the blue mountains and closest to the most popular attractions (walkable to many).
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:15 pm

Thanks again. I got in a rush to read about the train to MEL and ignored the first line.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Suggestions for tour operators SYD/MEL

I've settled to take a tour of SYD + MEL with my parents for January. If we have time, we may still go to AKL, but that is not a priority.

Any recommendations for operators of city tours and other tours in these two cities? Many of the combined SYD + MEL tours on the internet have fixed dates for larger groups. We would prefer to just have our own guide or at least join a smaller group.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

For tours of surrounding area, then when in Sydney thoroughly recommend Gourmet Getaway Tours' "Hunter Valley Gourmet Food and Wine Tour". Small minibus group and, this is why it was worth more than some other tours, the tour guide is also a chef who prepares fresh food as you tour a good selection of vineyards.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
@hikouki - I sent you a PM about it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:58 pm
Suspended

very few people travel by train from SYD to MEL. Most passengers would be getting on or off somewhere in between. Very slow & expensive. Flights are very cheap if plan in advance. 4 good airlines, Tiger(Virgin low cost) generally cheapest with new A320's. Jetstar(Qantas low cost) similar. THen Virgin & Qantas.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Australia is mostly convex. Try to cut across the curve and you end up stuck in the boring bits for long periods.

The train MEL-SYD isn't worth it.

Some local trains around those cities are OK.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PER SYD train trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...get-there.html
Do not recall a SYD MEL train trip report
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by USAoz
very few people travel by train from SYD to MEL. Most passengers would be getting on or off somewhere in between. Very slow & expensive. Flights are very cheap if plan in advance. 4 good airlines, Tiger(Virgin low cost) generally cheapest with new A320's. Jetstar(Qantas low cost) similar. THen Virgin & Qantas.
Call me fresh off the train (just returned a couple of weeks ago) ;-)

We - family of four - travelled from Melbourne to Sydney (opposite to your intended direction of travel) overnight. It is just under 12 hours (same train immediately returns - I don't know how often and when they do maintenance, though I would assume they have multiple rakes handy). For our family of four, it was about US$170 (A$110+ per adult and A$1 per kid, IIRC). While at Melbourne, I came across a pamphlet advertising fares as low as A$50 (though I have no clue of the conditions to get those). By comparison, a low plane fare was about A$60 or so but that was with budget airlines (JetStar) and you would need to pay extra for luggage etc, which is permitted for free on the train. Here is the link for the website we used to purchase our express passenger train (XPT) tickets. Of course, if you plan to spend some time in the area and plan multiple trips (for example, a round-trip) in the area (New South Wales up to Brisbane in the north and Melbourne in the south is included), you might look into the Discovery Pass. Because of lack of time, we travelled at night but the same train does a daytime run as well. Check the itinerary on the website.

We went in a local friend's car to Katoomba, but it is part of Sydney's Opal network, which includes travel within the city. The Opal network has daily caps - capped at about A$7 (though I am not exactly sure) for weekdays and A$2.50 for Sundays (this I know for sure, though you must note that the airports are a bit expensive to get to and have a separate per trip cost and daily cap). In addition to the daily caps, Sydney Opal has weekly caps as well.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Hi all,

We have a two-week trip booked for Australia, November 2-16. We're in our mid-30s and this will be our first time to Australia for both of us.

We intend on just seeing two cities (Sydney and probably either Melbourne or Brisbane) to not rush our itinerary.

That said, the other half would like to spend 2-3 days at a small quiet beach town. We're not looking for diving, snorkeling or water sports - just a place that is preferably not overrun by tourists with some good sand to lay on. I figure there have got to be some that are just a couple hour drive outside a major metro - any suggestions?
Some suggestions - all along the Great Ocean Road

- Torquay (past the Wyndham - westwards)
- Apollo Bay
- Lorne
- Alglesea
- Yuulong (a few km from the beach, which is OK if you don't have to be right at the beach)
- Port Campbell
- Kennett River
- Port Fairy
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:18 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by an_asker
The Opal network has daily caps - capped at about A$7 (though I am not exactly sure) for weekdays
It's $15.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:49 pm

Upcoming Australia Trip- Overwhelmed

Found a great airfare earlier this year and bought tickets for what could be an epic 25 day trip to Australia and am completely overwhelmed about how and where to spend my time:

Arrive: Sydney on 5 Nov 2016
Depart Perth 25 Nov 2016 (have friends on that side of the country)

As I was initially thinking about this trip, I was thinking about snorkeling on/off the Great Barrier Reef; visit to Tasmania; wine country and the outback-- I now realize that would be too much moving around and need some help with direction from the group on how to best go about this. The ideal trip would involve a combination of solo group activities/tours --spending time in outdoor (hiking, snorkeling, kayaking) activities. I don't want to spend a lot of time in cities (I do plan to spend a few days in Sydney on arrival to acclimate and recover from the trip from the US).

Suggestions for small tour companies that could help with logistics and such would be much appreciated as time is short (~50 days until departure) and options are too many.

Thanks!

Last edited by scubaerin; Sep 25, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:10 pm

In Sydney:
- Take a ferry from Sydney harbor out to Manley. You will have some great views of the harbor in both directions as well as the Pacific ocean cliffs coming into Manley. They leave regularly right from Circular Quay and you can walk up and get tix pretty much whenever. Dont recall how much, but not expensive.

- Coastal Walkway - it runs from Coogie Beach to Bondi Beach, approx 8km. Its a coastal walk / path that follows all the beaches and inlets up the coast. Some really great views. I try to do this walk every time i am there. If you can get up and out earlier enough, you'll get rewarded with an absolutely awesome sunrise.

I'd also recommend the barrier reef if you are up that way, lots of reports lately of it degrading which is sad to hear.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Budget determines what/where you should go, with 25 days there is enough time to see a good bit of the country. If you bought QF ticket then you can also buy a cheap "Australia Explorer" fare which is only sold as an add-on to international tickets. As for what to see, there is a huge variety but Tasmania is under-appreciated and cheap (but also cold and forested, so more like NW US than the iconic Outback). Uluru is stunning, pretty much a must see but also one of the more expensive destinations. GBR requires a week. Rural Australia makes for interesting travel or boring, depending on your temperament and expectations -- personally I find it fascinating. For that you'd need a car and lots of km's, though there are some good day trips from the cities.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
Rural Australia makes for interesting travel or boring, depending on your temperament and expectations -- personally I find it fascinating. For that you'd need a car and lots of km's, though there are some good day trips from the cities.
Or take rail from ADL to PER after visiting the Red Centre. http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/

At least your expectations are more realistic than some ^ (unlike the link below)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...portation.html

There are many threads on travel in Australia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.