Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Ive done close to 20 trips to Oz, mostly biz but a few vaca. Just finished a month vaca in April, covering quite a few places. My 2 cents:

I like SYD. I especially like it in contrast to the rest of Oz- it is their biggest city, it is how australians do city. (Yes there are other cites there, Im not going to compare and contrast...some say MEL is better, better food, better vibe- perhaps.) SYD was where teh continent was populated by whites, so a lot of history. IMO there is plenty to fill 4 days. Lots of threads here on 'a day in Sydney'- just pick a few of them.

There are the Blue Mountains outside SYD as well as the Hunter Valley wine region...also all kinds of coastal drives. Although it will be winter in May so check the seasonal weather ranges for guidance. But 4 days in SYD, assume one is the day you arrive, seems a good spell to see SYD.

I hit Uluru in late summer- it was quite remarkable. Hot. Loved it. Tried to stay away from crowds, so booked literally nothing with groups- a car of our own; bike tour on own own; helicopter on our own. We spent two days there, a day in Kings Canyon and a day in Alice Springs. Id do it again. Wife agreed and we are not repeaters.

FNQ was also great. Depends on your budget, but we dropped some $$$ for Lizard Island. There are many places for 1/10 the cost that will get you out to the reef. We spent a few days up towards Cooktown in a rainforest that was pretty cool too. Then a few days at Silky Oaks.

Part of my desire for this trip was to spend time driving. I am of the belief that the space between 'the things' can be as important and as interesting as 'the things'. I think we did close to 3000km in 14 days of driving. I still recall a chat we had with a teenager tending to a shop/petrol station up in the tablelands of FNQ- topped of fuel and got some drinks and ice cream. Just all the little snippets of life you miss going from one city and tour spot to the next. Dont feel you have to see it all, dont think of it as a checklist. Actually, think of this as if you were going to tell someone 'how to visit America'. Would you say "lax, ORD, MIA and NYC- 3 days in each" ?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I made my first trip to Australia a couple months ago and I very much enjoyed Perth. It was an extremely walkable city and the TransPerth network allowed me to go out to Cottelsloe and enjoy the lovely beach there. It's also very easy to Uber there.

As for what I liked in Perth, the vibe and architecture of the city made walking fun, they have a really good art museum, some beautiful churches and great restaurants plus Kings Park was simply stunning.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I looked further into Uluru and I found the accommodation to be very expensive for the location. They had cheap hostels but that was not what I was looking for. I get the whole nature thing and really enjoyed a tiger safari in India last year and even got to see a few up close. I have now decided to spend my time between Sydney, Perth and Melbourne with the most time in Sydney.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomcat007
I looked further into Uluru and I found the accommodation to be very expensive for the location. They had cheap hostels but that was not what I was looking for. I get the whole nature thing and really enjoyed a tiger safari in India last year and even got to see a few up close. I have now decided to spend my time between Sydney, Perth and Melbourne with the most time in Sydney.
All the accommodation at Uluru is owned & operated by one company. A tour package of accommodation & trip may give more value. Uluru and the surrounding area (few hundred km) is unique.

Perth is just a smallish city. And not that interesting as cities go. Is about 4 hrs flight from the east coast. (This cost $$$)

The best parts of Australia are out of the cities. Many people regret not spending a few extra dollars on unique things. In the overall it makes little difference. You cannot compare costs in India and Australia:- that's from 1 extreme to the other
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
I'm actually heading to Sydney for my first time this December! I managed to snag 2, D1 award ticket from LAX. I'll be in town for 4 days and plan on spending two nights at the Park Hyatt and two nights at the InterContinental. I still don't know what I'm going to do when I get there, but I'm just excited to be going to Australia!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
I'm actually heading to Sydney for my first time this December! I managed to snag 2, D1 award ticket from LAX. I'll be in town for 4 days and plan on spending two nights at the Park Hyatt and two nights at the InterContinental. I still don't know what I'm going to do when I get there, but I'm just excited to be going to Australia!
I really liked the Intercontinental Sydney, I think it's worth paying the extra money for a club room if you aren't RA. As for what to do, it's hard to go wrong there. There's a very enjoyable walkable downtown, plenty of musuems if you like them, and there are a number of nearby beaches worth visiting (I liked Bondi myself).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by CMK10
I really liked the Intercontinental Sydney, I think it's worth paying the extra money for a club room if you aren't RA. As for what to do, it's hard to go wrong there. There's a very enjoyable walkable downtown, plenty of musuems if you like them, and there are a number of nearby beaches worth visiting (I liked Bondi myself).
I'm excited to give it a try! I'm sure everyone thinks it's too mainstream to go to Bondi, but If I'm going to Sydney for the first time I plan hitting it's most popular spots. The more I visit the more I'll wander off the beaten path for new and exciting things, but that's just my philosophy
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The day diving off Cairns is not good. To get good diving, you need to go out further on a liveaboard. Or go to the Northwest near Exmouth. Check the season though - I don't think you are there during the right season.

Do not miss the Great Ocean road! Rent a car and take your time... do an overnight on the other side (so you can return the following day).
Do not miss Tasmania and the lovely hikes/nature on the island. Rent a car and drive it. Just lovely.
Near Perth you can go down to Margaret River for some wine tasting and Kangaroo watching.
Melbourne is lovely as is Sydney.
With minimal time don't spend it in Adelaide or Brisbane. However you can go to the Gold Coast since you're up that way near Cairns (north of Brisbane).
Don't bother with Ayers rock in the middle - too much time to go/return for just this rock. Enjoy Aussie!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:19 am

Thanks so much! With only 9 days 'til departure I have things pretty much set. Ayers Rock is off the table for the reasons you noted--too much time/$$ to get there and I'd have to sacrifice Tasmania, which I wasn't willing to do.

My friends are in Bunbury-- so exploring Margaret River is part definitely part of the plan while down/over there..

Thanks to all for the advice and tips!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Accor, Tap, Marriott, Executive Club, Smiles
Hairdresser into SYD or PER

Hi,
Anybody know if there is any female hairdresser inside the SYDNEY OR PERTH AIRPORT TERMINAL for my wife to make a brush in her hair. It has some website
King regards.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

google is your friend
Very unlikely.
Note SYD & PER have separate international & domestic terminals

SYD Facilities and Services http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find...8C70DBE52C2%7d

PER Facilities and Services https://www.perthairport.com.au/at-the-airport
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
12 Night Australia Trip - Where to Go

I am planning a 14-day trip, which equates to 12 nights in Australia for next Oct/Nov. That is the most I can get away. I know I want to go the Great Barrier Reef and Sydney. Should I just concentrate on those 2 places or should I try to work in a third stop?

Thinking of flying from US to Cairns as flight connections better going to Australia than coming back. How many nights would you spend there? More time there or in Sydney?

I have IHG, Marriott, Starwood, Hilton points for hotels I will try to use.

Thanks
Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do like doing: outdoors, Aussie outback, nature, hiking, cities, food, adventure, water sports, sports?
There are very many threads on trips to Australia on this forum

With 12 nights suggest 3 destinations at 4 days or 4 x 3 days.
Sydney is worth 3 or 4 days. More if you want do a trip out to the Blue Mountains
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ggestions.html

Australia is large so distances between destinations, so you can easily take a day travelling. The day of departure is often a write off (can't do much)
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I would love to do this if I had the time…

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...get-there.html
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
What are your interests? How do you like to travel and engage? As Mwenenzi asks, your activity level will be useful. Traveling alone? What do you want to see and do at GBR? (ie 4 day on boat? Beach location withone day trip to the reef? Rainforest plus reef?)

First time to Oz? Will you plan other trips or might this be it for many years?

I like the 4+4+4 concept. 4 days is enough time to enage an area and get a sense of the place.

Ive done 15 or so trips toOz. SYD is a great first stop as it allows me to get over jet lag with ease, half day or multi-hou excursion can be move around bsed on how the travelers are feeling (I would not want to be out on a boat at the reef dealing with waves of jet lag.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.